SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Cushion winter storage (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/94677-cushion-winter-storage.html)

jarcher 12-04-2012 04:00 AM

Cushion winter storage

Is there any reason, other than risk of theft, not to store cushions in the boat over the winter? I was thinking I could just prop them up so air could circulate...

Minnewaska 12-04-2012 07:01 AM

Re: Cushion winter storage

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarcher (Post 956701)
Is there any reason, other than risk of theft, not to store cushions in the boat over the winter? I was thinking I could just prop them up so air could circulate...

Depends on where you are and conditions. If your boat stays humid inside, they could be a good place for mold/mildew to take hold. I keep them inside, but I pull late and launch early, so I'm not as likely to get those hotter humid days, buttoned up in the shoulder season.

Hudsonian 12-04-2012 07:46 AM

Mold and Mildew. You can use plastic practice golf balls beneath the cushions to promote air circulation.

chucklesR 12-04-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

That's what most people do, as to mold and mildew - you mileage may vary.

It helps if you have solar powered vents or some other way to keep air circulating over the winter, same as it does over the summer.

Maine Sail 12-04-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

They still tend to become "smelly" over time on many boats on the hard especially with "mast up" and a wet bilge..

Ours come off and go on the second floor of the barn which is very, very dry. I also have lots of Cedar up there. Our cushions have far less "mustyness" than they did when we stored them on-board over the winter..

Minnewaska 12-04-2012 07:59 AM

There are also services that will take them for the winter, clean them and store them until you need them in the spring. Just like sails. I've not sprung for it yet, but getting them out of the way for winter projects is attractive. I have no room for them at home, nor a vehicle they would fit in to get there.

sailortjk1 12-04-2012 08:18 AM

Ours come off every year.
It is a hassle, but I think it is worth it.

jarcher 12-04-2012 01:36 PM

Thanks everyone. Normally I have the sails stored, but last season that was nearly $1,000! I rented a storage unit, but it is unheated. Perhaps the cushions should stay at home. Space is at a premium though.

Minnewaska 12-04-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarcher (Post 956855)
....Normally I have the sails stored, but last season that was nearly $1,000!......

What!!!!!!!????? That's insane. I have mine sent to be cleaned and stored for the winter and it cost me something like $400 to $500. I have approx 1400 sqft of sails, but they charge by the pound. Just giving you something to estimate your cost.

Contact Sailmaking Support Systems in NH. They pick and deliver or most local sail loft outsource to them anyway.

Sail Washing, McLube Sailkote, Prevent Sail Mildew