Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: new trick for removing head hoses!

For the heat and cold recommendations above, I would see a potential for waiting until freezing temps to keep fluids from moving around and heating the hose at the connection to get them off. However, the entire system was winterized with -100 deg antifreeze, so it's going to flow. Yuk.

Unfortunately, there is already some "ooze" in the bilge from the leaking tank, so I'm not so concerned about spilling for that reason. It will all need to be thoroughly cleaned anyway. I'm more concerned about just getting the hoses off so they can be used again and trying to stay as sanitary as possible. Not looking forward to this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Hey if its too difficult to disconnect them, use the hacksaw/ dremel method and cut them ( put the baggies with rubber bands on the ends I mentioned before ) and the just place these smooth PVC valve connectors or find smooth pvc between the hoses to rejoin them. It may be easier and less messy to do it this way oin the long run.

http://www.pvcfittingsdirect.com/_e/...lip_x_Slip.htm

Ball Valves Slip x Slip, White - PVC Fittings Direct

Personally if I were replacing my holding tank I would have a new tank and replace the sanitary hoses...all of them with Trident 101. That way the hwole system is new and you can forget it for 8 years or so.

Dave

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-05-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I may consider coupling in an ABS pipe for just this part of the run, or come up with a bracket of some kind.
Minnie, coupling it in may leave a narrowing (barb fitting) that again results in waste sitting there. Instead, check the OD of your existing line, and then check the ID of the next larger ABS pipe (probably 2" ??). I think it's big enough to use as an external support. Rip the length of pipe - a band saw would be best, but a table saw would do almost as well. Clamshell the ripped halves over the sagging length of hose with a couple or three clamps.
Old 12-05-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Coupling with smooth PVC will not affect it and cause blockage as the items I sent Minnie were not barbed fittings. They are essentially the same diameter as the hose all the way through.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-05-2012

ggray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

a dip in the line is always going to have fluid sitting there partially contaminated.

The weight of the fluid must cause it to dip and over 8 years, its stays that way. I may consider coupling in an ABS pipe for just this part of the run, or come up with a bracket of some kind.
It may be a good time to ask the question, while we are thinking about this issue.

Is it always best to ensure there is no dip?

I understand the matter of hose permeation, but the dip, if deep enough to completely fill the hose, will function like a sink trap to block sewer gases. This can be needed more on a boat than in a house because the vent on a boat is at times aimed right into the wind, and the resulting pressure can force gases out the head.

One winter, I diligently shortened and straightened the head hoses so there would be no dip at all. Next season, on occasion my wife would comment on the head smelling worse than usual. I soon figured it out from the wind direction, but was reluctant to admit to creating the problem, and also wanted to remain "dip-free". Next haulout though, I installed a second vent on the opposite side of the hull, so I no longer have the problem, even with no dips. Plus, the tank gets a good flow of air.

So beware if you try to remove the dip!
Old 12-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Minnie, coupling it in may leave a narrowing (barb fitting) that again results in waste sitting there. Instead, check the OD of your existing line, and then check the ID of the next larger ABS pipe (probably 2" ??). I think it's big enough to use as an external support. Rip the length of pipe - a band saw would be best, but a table saw would do almost as well. Clamshell the ripped halves over the sagging length of hose with a couple or three clamps.
Another cool idea. Thanks.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Hey if its too difficult to disconnect them, use the hacksaw/ dremel method and cut them ( put the baggies with rubber bands on the ends I mentioned before ) and the just place these smooth PVC valve connectors or find smooth pvc between the hoses to rejoin them. It may be easier and less messy to do it this way oin the long run.

Sch 80 Couplings, Buy Coupling Slip X Slip Pvc Fitting Schedule 80 Online

Ball Valves Slip x Slip, White - PVC Fittings Direct

Personally if I were replacing my holding tank I would have a new tank and replace the sanitary hoses...all of them with Trident 101. That way the hwole system is new and you can forget it for 8 years or so.

Dave

Dave
I know you are right about doing the hoses, but its killing me that I would not be replacing anything right now, if not for this lousy OEM ss tank.

On the other hand, beyond the expense, what I would need to dismantle to replace everything would be monumental.

Thanks for the parts suggestions.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
....Is it always best to ensure there is no dip?

I understand the matter of hose permeation, but the dip, if deep enough to completely fill the hose, will function like a sink trap to block sewer gases.....
I don't believe the space between the bottom of the bowl and the pump, which in our case is a macerator, is ever fully empty. A dip in the line is going to permeate eventually. l would rather leave an inch of clean water in the bowl if this was an issue.

That space below the bowl is the easiest to insure has clean water in it, especially when away for a few days and we flush a couple of bowls of fresh water from the sink, instead of sea water.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-05-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

To the original post, the easiest way to cut white flexi pipe is a hacksaw, not a sawzall. Also the crescent "soft metal" cutter head on your multicrafter tool works pretty well, but the hacksaw remains easier, and possibly quicker. I can't speak to more rubbery hose.

For catching goo, I live in Canada, and the "wait for the freeze" is a great strategy. I removed my holding tank last winter that way, having to tilt and twist the tank out of place with the pipes taken off. Worked a treat with the the contents frozen into a poopsicle such that there was so much as a drop lost. That having been said, at -20C it takes a while to soften the flexi pipes with a heat gun for removal from the barbed fittings. When I've removed a section of pipe in more moderate seasons, instead of spray foam I have stuffed the ends of the pipe with paper towel - hard. That works for the upper end, but if you have to take the end off the toilet, you're pooched.

Late this past season I removed quite a bit of the longish snake of white flexi pipe from inside and under cabinets and such, and replaced it with PVC. It's a much shorter direct run on the toilet to tank intake now. My thinking was twofold, the PVC is much less permeable, and the short run (maybe 18" vs 5 feet) allows me to use much less water when flushing to clear the pipes well. With only a 15 gal holding tank, this is advantageous to me. On the pumpout side, there is now no low point of flexi pipe to accumulate sewage. I hope/trust that the PVC will remain non-stinky at that low point for years to come.

Last edited by Ritchard; 12-05-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Late this past season I removed quite a bit of the longish snake of white flexi pipe from inside and under cabinets and such, and replaced it with PVC. It's a much shorter direct run on the toilet to tank intake now. My thinking was twofold, the PVC is much less permeable, and the short run (maybe 18" vs 5 feet) allows me to use much less water when flushing to clear the pipes well. With only a 15 gal holding tank, this is advantageous to me. On the pumpout side, there is now no low point of flexi pipe to accumulate sewage. I hope/trust that the PVC will remain non-stinky at that low point for years to come.
Did you put sections of hose on each end to allow for flexing?