Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-05-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Re: new trick for removing head hoses!

There is a hard connection from tank to PVC, both inflow and outflow. There is a short bit of flexi pipe joining the toilet to the PVC. This is a low point, and may become permeated. But it is only a handful of inches, and perhaps I'd change it each winter. With the rubber cuff on the end of the flexi pipe, and short length of flexi pipe itself, I hope this gives enough movement. At the pumpout side, there is a longer section of flexi pipe, but it is uphill just below deck level, where sewage will never be collecting. It will take years for that piece to permeate. The PVC pipe does not touch any part of the boat anywhere but the hard connection at the tank, and the flexi pipe at the other end. Anywhere it passes thought a bulkhead or anything, there is a large enough cutout to allow for a bit of movement.

I think I'm okay mechanically.

Oh by the way, I am pretty sure the piping I replaced last winter (before re-replacing and shortening runs with PVC) was original to the 1979 boat. Ewww.

Last edited by Ritchard; 12-05-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2012

dinosdad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
To the original post, the easiest way to cut white flexi pipe is a hacksaw, not a sawzall. Also the crescent "soft metal" cutter head on your multicrafter tool works pretty well, but the hacksaw remains easier, and possibly quicker. I can't speak to more rubbery hose.

For catching goo, I live in Canada, and the "wait for the freeze" is a great strategy. I removed my holding tank last winter that way, having to tilt and twist the tank out of place with the pipes taken off. Worked a treat with the the contents frozen into a poopsicle such that there was so much as a drop lost. That having been said, at -20C it takes a while to soften the flexi pipes with a heat gun for removal from the barbed fittings. When I've removed a section of pipe in more moderate seasons, instead of spray foam I have stuffed the ends of the pipe with paper towel - hard. That works for the upper end, but if you have to take the end off the toilet, you're pooched.

Late this past season I removed quite a bit of the longish snake of white flexi pipe from inside and under cabinets and such, and replaced it with PVC. It's a much shorter direct run on the toilet to tank intake now. My thinking was twofold, the PVC is much less permeable, and the short run (maybe 18" vs 5 feet) allows me to use much less water when flushing to clear the pipes well. With only a 15 gal holding tank, this is advantageous to me. On the pumpout side, there is now no low point of flexi pipe to accumulate sewage. I hope/trust that the PVC will remain non-stinky at that low point for years to come.
not when you cant get a hacksaw in the cabinet where the hoses are, and if you use a fine tooth blade it slices nice and clean , and a quality sawzall makes a difference. {but i like the idea of sailing to venezuela and having them do it for less than the cost of a good cordless sawzall the best!}
Old 12-05-2012

ggray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't believe the space between the bottom of the bowl and the pump, which in our case is a macerator, is ever fully empty. A dip in the line is going to permeate eventually. l would rather leave an inch of clean water in the bowl if this was an issue.

That space below the bowl is the easiest to insure has clean water in it, especially when away for a few days and we flush a couple of bowls of fresh water from the sink, instead of sea water.
Well, a pool of fresh (or sea water) filling the hose would block the holding tank gas without the permeation issue. So a long flush would be best. But if there is no dip, in other words, the hose slopes downward all the way to the holding tank, my experience is you can't keep an inch of clean water in the bowl. It all drains down to the tank. At least it did with our old Jabsco head, and I believe it does with the Raritan PHII I just installed. I have no dip, so the bowl drains.

I'm just suggesting to be prepared for this. I have no macerator, so not sure of its impact on this.