Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-05-2012

lizardheadone is on a distinguished road
What Halyards go to the Masthead?

I know I need a main and jib halyard going to the masthead sheaves. I also have a spinnaker, topping lift, and storm trysail that needs to be hoisted. Which of these halyards should go to the last two(one sheave aft, one forward) remaining masthead sheaves?Thanks in advance.
Pat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: What Halyards go to the Masthead?

You didn’t mention the size and type of boat that you have. Jib and main halyards go through the masthead sheaves. Some people use the “spare” aft sheave (you have a four sheave set-up or two?) for the main topping lift. Although, this is not the only way to rig a “topper”. The spinnaker needs to be on a swivel block mounted above the headstay and will not be routed through a masthead sheave. Storm Trysail? You use the main halyard for this but you may want to invest in a separate track for ease of deployment. Are you thinking about a storm jib? If so, the halyard will be on its own block mounted below the baby stay. The baby stay will be mounted opposite of the head card of either a third reefed main or your Trysail. The purpose of that is to match the loads lower down on the mast.
Old 12-05-2012

jarcher is on a distinguished road

On my 30 foot sloop I recently replaced the mast. I went from four halyards (main, port jib, starboard jib, spinnaker) to just three (main, port ib and starboard jib).

The two forward halyards each can hoist a head sail or spinnaker. They are used interchangeably for head sail hoisting and the spinnaker.

Oh, they all go to the top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-05-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
On my 30 foot sloop I recently replaced the mast. I went from four halyards (main, port jib, starboard jib, spinnaker) to just three (main, port ib and starboard jib).

The two forward halyards each can hoist a head sail or spinnaker. They are used interchangeably for head sail hoisting and the spinnaker.

Oh, they all go to the top.
Spinnakers are meant to fly outside the fore triangle, so the halyard should fly from a point above the forestay, whereas a genoa halyard exits below the forestay. Also, spinnaker halyards fly from a floating block to allow for the multi directional loads they see. A genoa halyard runs on a fixed sheave that only works on the fore-aft axis, and side loads can result in excessive friction, chaffing and even halyard jams. You may get away with it in light winds, but it could be problematic when the wind pipes up and you really want to get the chute down! You can use a spin halyard for a genoa, but you should NOT use a geny halyard for a chute.
Hull#101
Old 12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Spinnakers are meant to fly outside the fore triangle, so the halyard should fly from a point above the forestay, whereas a genoa halyard exits below the forestay. Also, spinnaker halyards fly from a floating block to allow for the multi directional loads they see. A genoa halyard runs on a fixed sheave that only works on the fore-aft axis, and side loads can result in excessive friction, chaffing and even halyard jams. You may get away with it in light winds, but it could be problematic when the wind pipes up and you really want to get the chute down! You can use a spin halyard for a genoa, but you should NOT use a geny halyard for a chute.
Nah, its fine, check this out:

Jim's Scampi 30 MK-IV Site - Helios | Demystifying Scampi Sailboats!

Scroll down a little to see the mast head picture. The cage on the front of the mast there allows either halyard to be pulled forward or to either side with very little friction. This is standard Kenyon design for an Evelyn 32, a nice light, fast sport boat. I use this rig on a Scampi 30 and it works quite nicely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-05-2012

Some better pictures here...

Erection Day pictures | Jim's Scampi 30 MK-IV Site - Helios

Old 12-05-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Yeah that looks more like a spin halyard exit. Does the halyard clear the forestay hardware without chaffing when using it for a genoa halyard? I would pay extra attention to the cotter pin side. You should be ok since you are essetially using spin halyards for genoa not vice versa.
Hull#101