Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-09-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Awkward lazerette lid

My Edel 665 has the small lazerette in the aft starboard corner of the cockpit. It is held in place by gravity after the back edge is tucked under a "J" shaped piece of metal. Removal is easy but you then have to lay it loose while you fish around inside of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can improve with hinges?

Thanks.

(Excuse the dirt....2+ years of sitting on the hard next to a major downtown Toronto highway and garbage truck depot does that to you.)
Attached Thumbnails
Awkward lazerette lid-gh010995.jpg   Awkward lazerette lid-gh010996.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Awkward lazerette lid

That is awkward. I think you'd have to hinge it so it opens forward. Maybe use nylon webbing instead of stainless hinges so you can make it flexible enough to lay out 180 degrees on to the seat forward of it.
Replace the "J" hook with a toggle or latch so it stays in place?
Old 12-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Seems to me you could hinge it along the inboard edge (to the center section at the tiller head) and open up and inboard. You may need some spacers for the right clearance, but a good SS piano hinge could be installed there with not much protruding onto the seating area.

Alternately a couple of good quality standard hinges would work there as well. Remove the current 'j' piece and install a proper latch in the corner, or a sliding bolt could be incorporated into the 'lid' itself perhaps.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-09-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I'm with Faster. I think the "left" edge of the cover is the only place you can put a hinge and still open the cover without it hitting something. That will leave it awkwardly in the middle of things. I suppose the laternative is to put some big pieces of industrial velcro on the cover, and find a flat spot to stick it to once you've removed it. That way at least it will be firmly in place when you have it off.

An alternative might be to put a reinforcing rail across the top of the lazarette and then split the cover in two. Keep the main (left side) part of it as a simple rectangular cover and hinge it on the aft side, and leave the outboard piece down and fixed. A bit of lost access, a bit of a project, but that would let you hinge the main part of the cover on the rear side in a conventional manner.
Old 12-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

There is an upside to having a removable cover. Hinges and latches routinely get bent and broken. Especially, if the lid is left open and is hit and hyper-extended. That may be a real risk, if you add one to the left side of the pic.

A couple of industrial strength magnets mounted on either side of the laz compartment with a plate attached to the underside of the lid, would probably do the trick. You can lose the unsightly latch and bracket altogether. I might consider a permanent lanyard that kept the lid from going overboard, if I was rummaging around underway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There is an upside to having a removable cover. Hinges and latches routinely get bent and broken. Especially, if the lid is left open and is hit and hyper-extended. That may be a real risk, if you add one to the left side of the pic.

A couple of industrial strength magnets mounted on either side of the laz compartment with a plate attached to the underside of the lid, would probably do the trick. You can lose the unsightly latch and bracket altogether. I might consider a permanent lanyard that kept the lid from going overboard, if I was rummaging around underway.
Good alternative.. should be plenty far enough from your compass...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-09-2012

ambianceack is on a distinguished road

I think you could put hinges on the side with the J-hook or on the aft/inside wall of the transom. Although you will have to reduce some of the edge to the cover but not all of the edge where the hinges go so it will lift on the hinge side. As such you may want to secure some sort of gasket to help keep water out on the top edge of the lazarette.

Last edited by ambianceack; 12-09-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 12-09-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Good alternative.. should be plenty far enough from your compass...
I will do that. Thanks folks.

Compass is 4-5 feet away, to the right of the drop boards.

My brother-in-law is in the precious minerals business...I will ask if he has magnets laying about. I hate paying for stuff.

Cheers.
Old 12-09-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

K.I.S.S. The hatch works well now; the only trouble is the worry about somehow losing it when it's open. As Minnewaska suggests, running a very light line (on kayaks they use fishing monofilament) through a small hole drilled in an unobtrusive corner of the hatch, and then tying the other end to a bolt or screw fitted inside the lazarette will solve the problem and not bother the compass or the brother-in-law.
Old 12-09-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Before you go cutting and drilling, make a corrigated cardboard template of the existing lid, then one edge at a time tape to abutting surfaces to check where you will get full swing up access, using the tape as the hinge. Common sense will tell you what works/what doesn't. For me, magnets are out, but the lanyard idea has potential.

Tags
edel , hinges , lazerette