Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-09-2012

zz3k39 is on a distinguished road
ACR Personal locator beacon for sale

Hello, I have an ACR Personal locator beacon for sale. Its about the size of a cell phone. Its new and never operated. I bought it for a trip that I didnt go on. I bought it a few months ago. I registered it, but will have to unregister it for a new owner. Price when I bought it was $295.00. I will sell it for $245.00. You can call me at 765-465-2788
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: ACR Personal locator beacon for sale

Why don't you keep it!-There is always another place to go...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 12-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Can one be "unregistered"? Didn't think so.

You may publish the battery expiration date, as well. Not much of a discount for buying used from an unknown private party. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-10-2012

Hello,
Yes, an EPIRB, or PLB can be unregistered, changed in ownership,...all. In fact, by law it must be re-registered every two years. It can be done online at this website address: https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/rgdb/

The first line of that website address talks about change of ownership. There ya go!

As far as "not much of a discount" for buying from a private party. It can be sold on ebay, and paid with paypal. Quite common these days and accepted. Ebay has a rating system for sellers.....100% being the best. I think I might be at 100% last time I looked anyway. Paypal is a safe way to buy. I buy from Ebay all the time. Have to watch out though, some sellers try to sell china knock-off things, as I experienced in buying power tools. I bought a Hitachi 4" angle grinder that I swear is not the real Hitachi, but a knock-off instead. It makes funny gear sounds and is not as smooth running as the real thing. Be careful about that for future reference people. Although, Ebay has a return policy if someone thinks a product is not represented well, it can be returned and Ebay backs that up 100% - but must be done within 30 days or your out of luck.

As far as batter life goes....its a 5 or 6 year battery. I think its six if I remember right. But my unit is just a few months old so I think its a mute point.

cheers.
Ron
Old 12-10-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
-Battery Non-hazmat lithium batteries Battery
Replacement Interval Replacement due six (6) years from date of manufacture or five (5) years after beacon is placed into service, whichever is first, or after emergency use.
Replacements run about $100 with shipping. Small price to pay every 5 years.

However, your price is too steep. I'm sorry you paid retail but I think you'll need to come down on the price to make it worth peoples wild. For example:
ACR ResQLink+ PLB
Old 12-10-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Ron, part of the point with the battery date is that no one knows if yours was old stock and is already three years into the six, or new stock with 5-1/2 years to go. It makes a difference.

The model number also makes a difference, an ACR ResQLink sells for $255 with free shipping AND a warranty, and that's without searching for prices and specials.

Knock $25 off to pro-rate the battery, knock $50 off because it is used with no warranty, and you'd probably sell it for $175, might get $200, but I doubt you'd get more unless someone on eBay got auction fever.

Last edited by hellosailor; 12-10-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2012

hello, thanks for the input. I see Defender has one on sale right now for $253.00. Thats a nice sale. I guess to compete with that, I would need to sell it for $30-40 cheaper to make it worth someone's while. Thats about what I would need (thinking as a buyer) to make it worth my while. So, I think while this sale is on, I have to lower my price to $219.00 which I think as a buyer, I would pay rather than pay $253.00. My unit is new too, just a little more hassle straightening out the registration. However, maybe not because I think its my responsibility to register the new owner, rather than the new owner do it. When I went on the NOAA website, It is required to enter the registration number, then enter the new updated information. But if the New owner would prefer to do it himself,..than its fine by me as well. Thinking about it a little more....I have to say "what hassle"....a person buying a new one will still have the same hassle of registering his new unit....so maybe its the same.
cheers.
Ron
Old 12-10-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I don't know how to tell you this, Ron, but maybe you should put that ACR away until next year. Because right now, someone who spends an extra $35 and buys a new one, gets a warranty, which you don't offer, AND THEY GET A HUGE ACR BONUS PACK:
ACR Holiday Promo
Purchase your ACR ResQLink 406 GPS PLB and receive a
FREE ACR FireFly3 SOLAS Strobe
FREE ACR 168 Piece Survival Kit
with Flashlight and Knife
& a 6 Month Subscription to 406Link
Download the ACR rebate form.

Offhand? That's probably close to a $100 bonus from ACR. Still, you might get lucky and folks might not realize what they can get for $35 more than your selling price. I'm just saying, it isn't hard to find this stuff out. If you really want to sell it--do a little homework, realize what it can be replaced for, not what you paid for it.
Old 12-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I think to sell it will require a discount in the 30% range or more. A extra $30 for new is cheap insurance. You'll have to beat that concept.

When I bought my boat, the PO held back the life raft and EPIRB from the advertisement, so I didn't even know he owned them. After we closed, he offered to sell them to me. Both were 3 years old.

I declined the EPIRB entirely. Technology changes so often that there was no price I was willing to pay and have an old unit. I happily paid full price for one already.

I paid about 30% of his cost for the 6 place raft and sent it out to be reconditioned, which doubled my cost. I thought paying roughly two thirds of new to have a raft that was professionally evaluated and reconditioned and now equivalent to new made sense. Otherwise, I might as well buy new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.