SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Non wood interior sole alternative (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/94839-non-wood-interior-sole-alternative.html)

Petar 12-09-2012 09:27 PM

Non wood interior sole alternative

My 3/4" plywood sole with Teak veneer top needs TLC. Instead of sanding, and varnishing 6-7 coats which would take most of the winter to complete, i am interested in potential non wood alternatives. Something that would brighten the interior and is durable and requires less maintenance and that I can do myself. Any suggestions are welcome

bljones 12-09-2012 09:59 PM

Re: Non wood interior sole alternative

First, why would it take most of the winter to sand and varnish the sole?
Second, an alternative is carpet. Durable, no maintenance other than occasional removal and vacuuming.

Petar 12-09-2012 10:27 PM

I would NOT put carpet in my boat EVER. To sand and apply 6-7 coats varnish on 50 square feet of plywood flooring that requires proper drying and light sanding between coats would definitely take a long time hence me looking in alternatives.

Michael K 12-09-2012 11:26 PM

I've never seen it used this way but I suppose you could lay down Plas-Teak. Kinda looks like wood but never deteriorates or rots. There must be a variety of faux wood products that are durable and low mantenance, no?

Stumble 12-09-2012 11:30 PM

Petar,

The real problem is that plywood is actually an incredibly good material for boat building. It is relatively light, and very stiff for its thickness. Unless you are willing to take a pretty significant weight penalty your options are pretty much plywood, carbon fiber foam sheets, and webbed metal grating.

Most engineered woods don't have the stiffness you would need, and things like starboard are both significantly heavier and not stiff enough.

Petar 12-10-2012 01:05 AM

Thanks guys,

has anyone tried applying Nu-teak interior on top of plywood? This seems pretty easy to apply and my only concern would be its thickness. anyone has any suggestions on material similar to that that is 1/8" or similar.

overbored 12-10-2012 01:43 AM

Teak Boat Flooring, Holly Boat Flooring, Maple Boat Flooring | PlasTEAK & PlasDECK

LONSEAL Flooring: LONWOOD MARINE - <b>Lonwood Marine</b> is Lonseal's high-performance, slip-resistant marine safety flooring. Our wood looks come in both matte and glossy styles, and have color coordinating trim.<br> <br><p>Click on "Next" under the

http://america.amtico.com/vinyl-floo...co-marine.aspx

svHyLyte 12-10-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petar (Post 959284)
My 3/4" plywood sole with Teak veneer top needs TLC. Instead of sanding, and varnishing 6-7 coats which would take most of the winter to complete, i am interested in potential non wood alternatives. Something that would brighten the interior and is durable and requires less maintenance and that I can do myself. Any suggestions are welcome

Take a look at Welcome Aboard-Teak & Holly Sole

overbored 12-10-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 959407)

thats the same stuff as plasteak/ loneseal but at a higher price. defender has loneseal for $10 less a running foot

AirborneSF 12-10-2012 09:56 AM

Petar, I used the fake deck boards in mine, and am happy with it. It is 'heavy' but the weight is down low, also it doesn't look as rich as teak and holly, but it isn't going to rot either!. I don't have any problems with it being 'flexible' to walk on at 3/4" thick X 5' long. I got it at H-D, but it ain't cheap. .02