SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Replacing a Atkins & Hoyle hatch lens (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/94871-replacing-atkins-hoyle-hatch-lens.html)

cec513 12-10-2012 04:04 PM

Replacing a Atkins & Hoyle hatch lens

At the beginning of the year I bought a 1981 C&C32. I really enjoy this sailboat but there are several repair that must be made this winter. My priority is to fix all water leaks and for starter I rebed the bow hatch and remooved the old 1/2 inch lexan lens from the Atkins & Hoyle cast alluminum frame and I am ready to replace it with new one. The old lens was probably replaced by the previous boat owner and sealed with marine silicon that did not do the job. Does anybody know what is the appropriate selant for this project?

peterchech 12-10-2012 04:30 PM

Re: Replacing a Atkins & Hoyle hatch lens

And my question is, what is actually holding the lens in the hatch? Is there some sort of glue for actually attaching the lens to the aluminum, then some sort of sealant to seal up that 1/4 inch space all around the hatch? Or is it all in one shot?

Faster 12-10-2012 04:55 PM

Select Plastics, recognized hatch rebuilders esp for Lewmars, use DC 795 for that job as a combined sealant/adhesive.

SloopJonB 12-10-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterchech (Post 959612)
And my question is, what is actually holding the lens in the hatch? Is there some sort of glue for actually attaching the lens to the aluminum, then some sort of sealant to seal up that 1/4 inch space all around the hatch? Or is it all in one shot?

It's bonded and sealed in one shot - use black Dow 795. It's used for curtain wall construction (glass faced highrises) so it will do just fine holding a lens in a hatch. :D

Mask everything very carefully first to avoid VERY messy cleanup. Clamp the lens LIGHTLY to locate it without squeezing out too much sealant.

peterchech 12-10-2012 05:13 PM

Umm, isn't that a silicone? I was under the impression (and experience) that silicone doesn't hold its bond very long...

It's an acrylic lens BTW

peterchech 12-10-2012 05:14 PM

BTW in my boat only the sealant holds in the lens, nothing else...

jsaronson 12-10-2012 05:34 PM

795 is used to glue windows into skyscrapers. Its not just silicone. I used it on my A&H hatches.

Capnblu 12-10-2012 05:40 PM

795 for acrylic, it's the stuff to use. I clean surfaces with alcohol prior to use.

Faster 12-10-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterchech (Post 959635)
Umm, isn't that a silicone? I was under the impression (and experience) that silicone doesn't hold its bond very long...

It's an acrylic lens BTW

The silicones that you shouldn't use are those that smell strongly of vinegar.. DC 795 is a different beast altogether...

SloopJonB 12-10-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterchech (Post 959635)

It's an acrylic lens BTW

When you next have to replace the lens, you'll find out just how tenacious that particular "silicone" is. :D

In terms of strength - bond etc. it's closer to polysulphide than the usual silicone most people are familiar with.

Trust us - use it. ;)