Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
Organizing Cockpit Lazarettes?

It being cold and rainy it seems a good time to stay warm and think of ways to make sailing more fun this spring so one item on my list is what to do with all that "space" in the cockpit lazarettes. there are no doubt a million ways to organize the space so as to store things in there without the usual layered entangled thing which usually evolves after several tacks etc

Suggestions? Mine are deep and unlined so they follow the contour of the bilge but for a shallow sole at the bottom. Im thinking simple and ventilated layers with set backs (shelves) or??????????????????? for lines, hooks, poles, etc ad infinitum....Lets hear it from some of the veteran cruisers who no doubt have reached some kind of accomodation with this gremlin....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Organizing Cockpit Lazarettes?

Good question. We have a row of hooks along one side for coiled lines to hang. Some like things are grouped in duffels - it's easier to find the yellow duffel than to dig out individual sea boots. Spare anchor, there's not much to be done with except keep it near the bottom. Other items, we end up with layers too; curious to hear suggestions from others.
paul323 and oysterman23 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 12-11-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Hooks for lines are a huge help and one of the easier things to accomplish.
Benny put a shelf in from the factory which is very nice for buckets, hoses, emergency tiller, and the required PFD's, Open the lazzarette and they are right there on top.(You know the guest ones that are on board to simply meet regulations Our personal inflatables are always hanging up in the main salon.)
But, even with the hooks and a shelf it always seems to become a tangled mess with fenders and fender lines thrown on the bottom. It is like the bottomless pit. Once in a while I climb down there just to see what might be hiding .
oysterman23 likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-11-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Put the line hooks on the lid, when you lift the lid the lines are right 'there' where you need them. Fenders and such can be the same, just let them hang down and actually rest on something.
tdw and downeast450 like this.
Old 12-11-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road

+1 for the row of hooks. In my boat it is a simple wooden batten epoxied to the hull, full length of lazarette, with a row of hooks; each line suspended by a small string loop. Simple and indispensable.

I fitted a "box" on the bottom of my port lazarette, which is where I store spare oil and engine parts which fit well into the deep "v" and are now protected. Basically 4 sides fitted to the shape of the hull, and a flat top. Works very well. However, I have to say that I *thought* I was a fairly good woodworker, but I have never had such a frustrating project! Nothing is straight! Even with cardboard templates, I had to recut a couple of pieces, and made multiple trips to the boat. It was worth it in the end, and engendered great respect for those who build boats.
Old 12-12-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

I have bench lockers here's what I did. Hooks for lines; made a canvas tool holder (for those I wanted ready access) and screwed it to the underside of the lid, a canvas pocket on the vertical portion or stuff; Built in a removable panel to keep things from sliding down to the bottom of the bilge, colored nylon webbing clipped to ring at the top and tied on to things that will be near the bottom to make them easier to retrieve, mounting clips on the bulkhead for spare anchor, bolt cutter etc. fiberglassed in a bos and put in a hawsepipe so that it can serve a stern anchor, used the space along the back rest to install a panel locker that opens to the cockpit.
oysterman23 likes this.
Cal-29
Old 12-12-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road

Hi Walt
Like the ready bag for key tools Walt also bolt cutter location Im grabbing that one cause thats sure to be accessible whereas perhaps little else will....
thanks!
Old 12-12-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterman23 View Post
Hi Walt
Like the ready bag for key tools Walt also bolt cutter location Im grabbing that one cause thats sure to be accessible whereas perhaps little else will....
thanks!
Bolt cutters, presumably for cutting standing rigging get a big -1 in my book. All the 'experts' talk about them as a necessity in case of shroud or mast breakage.

Here's the deal - when that that happens the crap has hit the fan and the boat is tossing around - do you have two hands to operate those cutters and really squeeze?
Heck no.

Battery powered dremel (or your choice) with a cutting wheel. Whack that shroud in 5 seconds, one handed, in the dark, on a heaving deck.
I've used mine to cut lock hasps I couldn't dent with bolt cutters.

Keep it charged (checked as often as your OCD condition requires), keep it in the emergency kit. It's 1/10 the size of even a basic undersized bolt cutter.

Sorry, now back to the original topic.
wingNwing likes this.
Old 12-13-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We have large bolt cutters and you are right they would be tough to handle. With lots of rod rigging I dont think a dremel would be the answer.

Dave
jimrafford likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-13-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Chuckles .... I like your idea re the Dremel . Trick is in the "keep it charged" bit. Not so difficult when you are marina bound , harder when anchoring out long term.

Quote:
I've used mine to cut lock hasps I couldn't dent with bolt cutters.
I've found these things called keys work even better.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett