Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: CO2 fire extinguisher?

Down-
If you're installing that so it discharges into the engine spaces, you might want to consider running a rod or cable arrangement to a pull handle in the cockpit. I've seen that type of setup on a number of boats, designed so that if you're on deck as usual and someone sees smoke coming up from below, no one has to actually GO below. You remain (more safely) on deck, pull the handle, dump the bottle into the engine spaces.

Either way, just remember that if you have to use it, make sure the bottle is empty or the fire is out before you stop. And if you can't see what's going on in there, "empty" may be the way to go.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Do these systems that discharge a bottle of CO2 from the cockpit require an enclosed or semi-enclosed engine space to work? My engine sits on stringers that are 2ft above the bottom of my bilge which runs 25ft fore and aft. That seems like a lot of CO2 to me....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-17-2012
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Do these systems that discharge a bottle of CO2 from the cockpit require an enclosed or semi-enclosed engine space to work? My engine sits on stringers that are 2ft above the bottom of my bilge which runs 25ft fore and aft. That seems like a lot of CO2 to me....

MedSailor
That can be a problem with CO2...it doesn't do well in large spaces. Halon/Haletron will still work in large areas if discharged into the fire.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

Old 12-17-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailak View Post
That can be a problem with CO2...it doesn't do well in large spaces. Halon/Haletron will still work in large areas if discharged into the fire.
Hmmm.... I'll have to ask Mr. Fire where he plans to show up... at my engine? fuel tank? galley? or elsewhere? Hopefully I don't have a holding tank fire again. I'm still on PTSD meds from that one.

Old 12-17-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Med, if the space isn't enclosed, or at least semi-enclosed, how can you restrict the flow of combustion air? A totally vented space might be good for feeding the engine when it is running, but if you can't close it off, you'll be feeding a fire the same generous way.

If the CO2 is generous enough to displace the air, interrupt the airflow, keep the fire out long enough for it to cool down below the flash point so the fire goes out and stays out..."maybe" is not really a good result in fire control.

Wet foam might be the way for you to go.
Old 12-17-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

My boat is small. I think the "trigger" can be located beside but inside the companionway and will be accessible from either the cabin or the cockpit. That is a good idea.

Thanks,

Down
Old 12-17-2012
Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Wet foam might be the way for you to go.
Foam works well on a spill fire, not so well if fuel is still flowing (like from a leaking or ruptured line). Foam is simply water with a vapor barrier agent.

Halon is the best without any doubt, sad it was discontinued. Halotron would be my choice for an engine compartment auto extinguisher. I did aircraft crash rescue for 20 years, fought fires from trash can smolders to fully involved DC-10s. I wouldn't own a CO2 extinguisher, I horde the last two Halon extinguishers that I have. I can extinguish a fire with a dry chemical extinguisher, I just dread the clean up post fire (although cleaning up dry powder is better than cleaning up ash).

S/V Elnora

Old 12-17-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailak View Post
Foam works well on a spill fire, not so well if fuel is still flowing (like from a leaking or ruptured line). Foam is simply water with a vapor barrier agent.

Halon is the best without any doubt, sad it was discontinued. Halotron would be my choice for an engine compartment auto extinguisher. I did aircraft crash rescue for 20 years, fought fires from trash can smolders to fully involved DC-10s. I wouldn't own a CO2 extinguisher, I horde the last two Halon extinguishers that I have. I can extinguish a fire with a dry chemical extinguisher, I just dread the clean up post fire (although cleaning up dry powder is better than cleaning up ash).
Tell me more about this. What don't you like about CO2? Also, good point about the dry chemical being easier to clean up than ash.

MedSailor

Old 12-17-2012
Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Tell me more about this. What don't you like about CO2? Also, good point about the dry chemical being easier to clean up than ash.

MedSailor
In my experience it isn't very effective except in specific instances such as an enclosed space. CO2 works if used properly, but Halon or dry chem are much more effective and easier to use.

S/V Elnora

Old 03-10-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Well the time has come to mount my CO2 fire extinguisher. I dropped it off at the shop and it got pressure tested and filled. It is a 15 pound unit.

I have the space options of installing it upright, at a 45 degree angle or horizontal. From the shop guy I understand that vertical is required. Is that correct? Its pickup extends to near the bottom of the tank. The tank is filled with CO2 under pressure so it is mostly liquid with some as gas filling the space above the liquid. Why does the pickup need to be immersed in the liquid CO2 for the discharge to work? Isn't the only thing in the tank, CO2? If the tank sits on its side the discharge tube's end would not be submerged in the liquid but everything in the tank is at the same pressure? CO2 will still be what comes out until the pressure is fully discharged? No?

It would be sweet to be able to mount the tank on its side.

Help, please.

Down