SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tiny rust spots from nearby grinders

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Just awlgripped topsides and decks and did total refit. Guys grinding and welding on a steel boat upwind 50 yards. Hundreds of tiny rust spots on new awlgrip on cabin sides and top and awlgrip nonskid. Any cure, or am I going to go after the yard? Druther avoid conflict.

#3 ·
Wait until the coating cures a bit, then wash/soak with a diluted mixture of oxalic acid. You can obtain oxalic acid crystals in a hardware or paint store. Oxalic is also found in many abrasive scouring cleansers (dont rub!) : Bartenders Friend, Zud, and many "teak brighteners'', etc. Oxalic wont harm Awlgrip, gelcoat, etc.

Caution: wear gloves and goggles as oxalic will rapidly absorb through your skin and harm your kidneys.

#6 ·
kevin,
i get this some times when i am using a steel drill on the stainless on deck. did you try the sea-brite or similar name rust remover. it works for me. i have a bottle on board if you want to try it on a spot
the end of the month.

did i tell you that my friends shoes set of the explosive detector at the airport after working at independant boat yard in the rain last november. eric

#8 ·
It wouldn''t hurt simply to state the facts to the yard owner. Ideally in person, phone is OK, e-mail or letter is right out. Just the facts, no accusation or request for redress, no hysteria. "Bob, some guys were grinding a steel hull upwind, and now I''ve got these annoying rust spots all over my new alwgrip." Period. Silence. Pause.

Let the yard owner come back with a response. Who knows what it''ll be? He might recommend a product or technique, or offer to fix it for you, or offer to help you go after the other boat, or tell you to buzz off. One way or the other, that''ll tell you how to proceed next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.