Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-14-2012

Southcoasting is on a distinguished road
Sail Lofts in Southcoast, Mass Region

All,
I need to take my sails for cleaning, restitching, etc to a sail loft and wanted to get opinions from others out there who may have used one of the local sail lofts around this area...

The ones I'm referencing to are:

Harding Sails in New Bedford
Eastern Sail in Mattapoisett
Sperry Sails in Marion
Contender US in Fall River

Any input/experience using any of the above, whether positive or negative, will be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-14-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Sail Lofts in Southcoast, Mass Region

I have used Harding Sails numerous times for seasonal service and for several repairs and I found them to be well worth the long drive from Boston. I would not hesitate to make the drive again.
Old 12-15-2012

ereiss is on a distinguished road

I have used Thurston (Quantum Sails) in Bristol many times. I appreciate his honesty, for example when I brought my sails in last year for inspection, clean and repair he said we should not clean them as they would probably only get me through the next season. He could have just taken my money. And he was right, I blew both the main and the jib out on the last sail, okay it did hit 40+ knots in gusts.

Ask for Steve Thurston.
Freedom F38 #154
out of Marion, MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2012

bbarnewolt is on a distinguished road

Have used Eastern in Mattapoisett a few years back for cleaning and small repairs. He did a good job and I would use him again for cleaning. I have new sails from Thurston and am very pleased.
Brien
Old 12-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I find many/most sail lofts around here, just ship the sails out to these guys for cleaning anyway. They pick up and deliver all around New England to get them to NH for cleaning.

I do send mine through my local sail loft, as I think the price is the same and I want to support the local guy. I presume he gets a wholesale price and make a buck or two.

However, I have spoken to these guys on the phone several years ago and they were happy to stop by the boat for pickup and delivery themselves. I think they send a van around on constant loops.

Sail Washing, McLube Sailkote, Prevent Sail Mildew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-16-2012

outbound is on a distinguished road

have used both Sperry for a Tayana 37 and currently Harden for a Pacific seacraft 34. Both are excellent. In learning about current sail clothes and in and outs of Dutchman system for my next boat ( Outbound 46) Hardenwas extremely knowledgeable and helpful even though they were not to build the sails ( North in California). Kept the PSC34 at Barden's. Harden will come straight to yard or boat to deal with sails. Great company.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.