SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   CDI mainsail reefing system (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/94975-cdi-mainsail-reefing-system.html)

sivilsld 12-14-2012 03:13 PM

CDI mainsail reefing system

Does anyone have any experience with the MAINSAIL REEFING SYSTEM now being offered by CDI? I'm intrigued by the concept but I wonder about robustness.

Pat the plumber 01-05-2014 04:09 PM

Re: CDI mainsail reefing system

Hi,
I too am intrigued with this consept but I am hesitant to make a purchase because I have no feed back from other sailers. I was wondering if you might have purchased one since this post or if you got any feed back from another source.

Any feed back is better then what I have now.

Pat

ebs001 01-05-2014 05:37 PM

Google CDI Mainsail furler there are some reviews there from cruisersworld.com.

sivilsld 01-05-2014 07:06 PM

No I have not purchased one yet.

mitiempo 01-05-2014 09:48 PM

sivilsld

It looks similar to any of the in mast mainsail furlers but it is externally mounted. It will of course require a re-cut of a conventional mainsail to remove the battens and hollow the leech. The loss of sail area will affect performance compared to a conventional battened main with roach. Because the main is not attached to the mast for its full length that will affect performance as well.

I think the simplest most reliable system is a conventional battened main with 2 line reefing and lazyjacks. The battens and roach give a better setting sail and better performance. 2 line reefing, either from the mast or the cockpit is quick and easy to use and not prone to the jamming.

ebs001 01-06-2014 01:05 AM

On most monohull sloops most of the power comes from the headsail. As a result the effects of a some what smaller main are minimal.

Few boats cruising in the Bahamas use their main unless the have roller furling. It is just to much of a hassle. In fact I'm seeing a number of boats who don't even bother to put a mainsail on the boat.

A friend of mine has a C&C 30 which had an after market roller furling main similar to the CDI system. Being a bit of a sailing purist he thought he would remove it and go with a fully battened main; however, once he tried the roller furling system he said he would never go back and he hasn't in over 15 years.

Group9 01-06-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebs001 (Post 1278378)
On most monohull sloops most of the power comes from the headsail. As a result the effects of a some what smaller main are minimal.

Few boats cruising in the Bahamas use their main unless the have roller furling. It is just to much of a hassle. In fact I'm seeing a number of boats who don't even bother to put a mainsail on the boat.

A friend of mine has a C&C 30 which had an after market roller furling main similar to the CDI system. Being a bit of a sailing purist he thought he would remove it and go with a fully battened main; however, once he tried the roller furling system he said he would never go back and he hasn't in over 15 years.

When I'm on a passage, I use my mainsail. When I'm just poking around, and not in a hurry, I pretty much just use the RF jib, too.

It seems to be the one advantage somethink like the CDI system offers over a system that rolls up inside the mast, is that if the CDI system gets jammed, you let the thing down with the halyard and try and unscrew it.

mitiempo 01-06-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Group9 (Post 1278586)

It seems to be the one advantage something like the CDI system offers over a system that rolls up inside the mast, is that if the CDI system gets jammed, you let the thing down with the halyard and try and unscrew it.

True but Murphy rarely lets these things occur in calm weather. It wouldn't be a fun exercise in a squall or rising wind when you are trying to get the main in quickly.

jsaronson 01-06-2014 12:47 PM

The CDI stuff is generally less robust than Harken. There are plastic parts in the jib furler. I also wonder about losing performance with the space between the luff and the mast.