Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Traveler???

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post

If they were useless, why do ALL race boats have them?
Hell they even have room for a dodger and bimini on that beast!
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

This is what I would recommend.

Dick

Last edited by Flybyknight; 12-20-2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: better pic
Old 12-20-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
OK... think I got it!
I can get my head around main sheet angle vis boom position being better purchase and tension w/a traveler.
With the existing locations, there must be/will probably be huge amounts of line consumed in a down-wind run. Scaling the dwgs,there's close to 6 feet between blocks...times four runs of line plus handling end means no less than 30 feet or so. When the boom's out only to 85 degrees, it works out to over 75 feet! That's a lotta line needing to be hauled and possibly laying about the deck until it can be squared away!

Moving to a coach top system reduces that amount considerably. Centered boom position it's more like 17 fee and at the same 85 degrees, it's only 26', even considering having the bitter end running the length of the 'pit!
At somewhere around $2/ft. that's a bit of dollar difference. Not enuff to cover the expense of a traveler; nor moving the purchase; but.....
".

All that said.....
It's only promulgating an intellectual exercise and trying to shorten the learning curve until I actually get the boat inthe water and move it under sail!

Any input welcome
(I apologize that this is cut and pasted from my own earlier discussion on this same topic.) Beyond the loss of twist control mentioned above, another minor point is, and I know this may sound counterintuitive, unless you run a the mainsheet on a cabin top mounted traveler to a winch, mainsheets on cabin top mounted travelers usually require more line. The reason this is so, is that as you move the traveler forward, you lose the mechanical advantage that the length of the boom provides automatically. As a result if you place the sheets half the way up the boom, you need to double the purchase on the blocks. That alone would mean an equal length of line for an equal mechanical advantage.

But because there is an assumption of equal manual force on the line, and given greater frictional losses due to the extra sheeves, mid-cabin mainsheets are design with greater purchase and therefore require more line. That is why the mid boom mainsheets are often run to winches on smaller boats than would be the case on boats with end boom sheeting.

In addition to all else that was mentioned, there is a good chance that you will also require a new stronger boom and gooseneck since this also means greater forces on both.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 12-20-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Is this a W27 with mid boom sheeting?

I agree with others that you should leave the sheet on the transom, and think about adding a traveler.
Attached Thumbnails
Traveler???-dream%2520date%2520031%2520low%2520res.jpg  
Old 12-20-2012

wanttosail is on a distinguished road

Looks like 3 of those guys are working and the other 10 are just along for the ride. Not having raced a boat like that is that normal?
Old 12-20-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Traveler???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttosail View Post
Looks like 3 of those guys are working and the other 10 are just along for the ride. Not having raced a boat like that is that normal?
The two guys standing at the front of the cockpit are grinding on the spinnaker, the guy standing just behind them is grinding the mainsheet. There are two others that are handeling the sheets, these guys are just grinding.

The driver is just driving

The tactician is calling tactics

The other five are bow, mast, and pit guys waiting for the next jibe or mark rounding, and currently hiking off the stern to keep the bow up.
Old 12-20-2012

wanttosail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The two guys standing at the front of the cockpit are grinding on the spinnaker, the guy standing just behind them is grinding the mainsheet. There are two others that are handeling the sheets, these guys are just grinding.

The driver is just driving

The tactician is calling tactics

The other five are bow, mast, and pit guys waiting for the next jibe or mark rounding, and currently hiking off the stern to keep the bow up.
Awesome, now that I look closer I can see equipment in their hands. Hopefully one of these days I can get on a crew and learn first hand. Thanks for explanation.
Old 12-20-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttosail View Post
Awesome, now that I look closer I can see equipment in their hands. Hopefully one of these days I can get on a crew and learn first hand. Thanks for explanation.
The TP52 is pure high-performance! The still shot doesn't really do it justice. If you want to see what the guys do, check out the video!

Hull#101
Old 12-20-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Whatzzit called??.... Rail Meat!

OK Jeff.....Got it! yes, very logical explanation..understood.As it stands now and for the next season at least. the boom end rig will stay as-is. Once I get a feel for it, I'll figger a way ta park a traveler on the transom coaminfg or possibly just fwd of that on the stern seating... It shouldn't interfere with the tiller, as it will be that much taller.
Coach top system would be at 60+% of boom length; fwd to stern. Would need to reinforce boom, make several attach point to spread the load; or a new, structurally proper boom...all $$$. It would take at least a 4 purchase block set (?), possibly a nother winch and would end up the same amt. of line as the std. main set-up. Oh well! That's why ask the experienced hands here!

Thanks
Paul
Old 12-20-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

When I'm solo sailing and actually under sail.. (not often on a river) I can sit behind the wheel with the long lines from my traveler and easily handle the main without messing with the mainsheet tension.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.