Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailrite LS-1 or LSZ-1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzir View Post
FWIW, I just bought a new LSZ1 on ebay for $758, shipping included. I ordered it Monday, it arrived via FedEx on Wednesday. It is a brand new unit in the original unopened box, with case, thread stand, full warranty, etc. Same as what you would get if you ordered directly from Sailrite. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I love it so far; it is the real deal.
Those are good prices. I'd just call sailrite and ask them if they are authorized dealers so you know where you stand if you have a problem with the machine.

We love ours and have saved thousands and had fun doing lots of projects....

Ruth Canvas Mods Index

Doing all of that sewing it has only gotten a ways out of adjustment once and Sailrite sent me links to videos on how to adjust the timing and the foot feed and a couple hours later we were back in business. If the same thing would of happened with another machine, and it will, we would of been dead in the water for some time. Their videos and support are worth more than a couple hundred dollars and the machine is wonderful to use.

On the need for zig-zag to be honest we have only used it a couple times and could of done without then also. People have fixed sails for years and still do without zig-zag. It just looks prettier and you can do in one pass what would take multiple passes with a straight stitch. It is a big time saver, thus money saver, for professionals.

One option would be go without zig-zag now and then sell the machine later and move up if you just don't have the money now. It probably would not be that hard to sell the machine. I'd rather have the non-zig-zag now vs. some other machine if money was real tight.

Good luck,

Sum

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2012

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

Although lacking personal experience, if zig-zag is merely perhaps nice to have, zig-zag could be yet another source of potential adjustment problems.
Old 12-22-2012
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The zigzag mechanism on these machines is simple and unlikely to cause adjustment problems. The timing is what takes careful adjustment (should it go out), and Sailrite makes life a lot easier here by having good documentation.

Zigzag is useful in bag making for bar tacks and I've used it when doing repairs where the original stitching was zig-zag. I'm glad that I have it.

I bought a "clone" from Barracuda, but wish I hadn't gone that route. By the time I added the case, monster wheel, and Sailrite manual I was almost at Sailrite's pricing without the good support or benefits of their v2 improvements (the Barracuda is an older design).

I have a decent home machine too (Pfaff), but prefer using the Sailrite/Barracuda when working with Sunbrella and other heavy materials. The high torque/low speed is great for a amateur seamstress.
Old 12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The zigzag mechanism on these machines is simple and unlikely to cause adjustment problems. The timing is what takes careful adjustment (should it go out), and Sailrite makes life a lot easier here by having good documentation..
We also have never had a problem with the zig-zag adjustment and good points about by the time you add the extras you are up to about the same price.

We live in a remote area (Utah canyon country) and their support and parts has proven invaluable for us,

Sum

Old 12-22-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Sailrite LS-1 or LSZ-1?

Buy the LSZ. While you may not build a sail, zig zag is very handy for repairs to sails, covers and a variety of other uses. Like many other tools, I don't need the capability often, but when I need it, I have it. In my book, it was a no brainier.

As others have said, I've saved thousands with this machine. BTW- but the monster wheel and the LED light. Other parts can be purchased outside SailRite which tends to be expensive for common accessories like binding guides.
Old 12-22-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

You might want to look at Defenders machine. It's $500 That's what we have.
JIm
Old 12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
...Other parts can be purchased outside SailRite which tends to be expensive for common accessories like binding guides.
Talking about other parts.....it is best not to cut sunbrella with a knife as the edges then unravel (hemming helps). I modified...

....a solder gun and used it for a hot knife and did most of the cutting for Ruth and there has been a lot.

We finally bought a real...

...hot knife from another supplier as they were cheaper than Sailrite, but did buy the foot from them. We should of bought this a couple years ago. It isn't cheap, but if you start doing projects with...

.... a lot of long strip cuts like we have...

...the hot knife is just so nice. I still use the solder guy for intricate cuts and installing common sense fasteners.

Also we really like using the common sense ...

...fasteners and I have a page....

...the might be of help installing them here...

Ruth Canvas Mods page 21

These projects can be very rewarding,

Sum

Old 12-22-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Sailrite LS-1 or LSZ-1?

Ditto with the hot knife. I do use scissors but the knife is better. But go slow.
Old 12-22-2012

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

Actually, I prefer to use scissors for cutting fabric for more precise cuts. Since I'm DIY and not a production shop, if appropriate I then use the hot knife to sear the edges of the fabric to avoid unravelling.

Apparently production shops use the hot knife without the foot on a heat resistant table-top because the foot attachment seems to load up with melted material -- essentially my experience.
Old 12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasSailer View Post
Actually, I prefer to use scissors for cutting fabric for more precise cuts. Since I'm DIY and not a production shop, if appropriate I then use the hot knife to sear the edges of the fabric to avoid unravelling.

Apparently production shops use the hot knife without the foot on a heat resistant table-top because the foot attachment seems to load up with melted material -- essentially my experience.
I use the soldering iron...

...on a piece of glass and will either pull the material through it (straight cuts) or push the gun tip through the material if it is a curved cut.

I can cut way faster with the ...

...hot knife with the foot on than I can with scissors and don't have any problem following a straight line with it. We also hem about everything. I'll use it for gradual curves but use the gun for sharper curves or short cuts. I like using them because you cut and you are done, no fraying.

The trick to keeping the foot clear is to cut fast and to trigger the gun on and off. The foot will still get material built up but is easy to flick out. Just trigger the gun on and use a knife tip, a couple seconds does it.

It was hard to spend the money on, but if it broke, don't count on that, I'd buy another as soon as possible. We used it on about all of the Endeavour projects...

Endeavour 37 Canvas Mods Index

Sum