Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012

ereiss is on a distinguished road
Sailrite LS-1 or LSZ-1?

Sailrite says the only difference is that the LSZ will do zig-zag. At this time I can't see doing sail work, if that were the case has anyone found a reason to have zig zag other than sail repair or construction? Don't want to be penny wise but a Boat-Buck is a Boat-Buck.

Thank you
Freedom F38 #154
out of Marion, MA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2012

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailrite LS-1 or LSZ-1?

Although zig-zag and even double-needle stitches might be found on some marine canvas, a single-needle straight-stitch machine should be sufficient. I've been in a marine canvas shop that had about 12 machines, and all were single-needle straight-stitch sewing machines.

You might want to post your question on the sailrite forum and see what Matt has to say.

Sailrite Forum
Old 12-20-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

You're right, you need the zig-zag just for sail repair. Both of my parents are upholsterers and neither has ever had a zig-zag machine. The only other time that you mught need it on a boat is if you were making some curtains out of a sheer material you might sometimes want to run a zig-zag stitch along the cut edge before you hem to keep it from unravelling. If you have to pay for 2-3 sail repairs while you own the machine it would just about pencil out to buy the LSZ1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2012
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road

FWIW, I just bought a new LSZ1 on ebay for $758, shipping included. I ordered it Monday, it arrived via FedEx on Wednesday. It is a brand new unit in the original unopened box, with case, thread stand, full warranty, etc. Same as what you would get if you ordered directly from Sailrite. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I love it so far; it is the real deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2012

cookwithgas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereiss View Post
Sailrite says the only difference is that the LSZ will do zig-zag. At this time I can't see doing sail work, if that were the case has anyone found a reason to have zig zag other than sail repair or construction? Don't want to be penny wise but a Boat-Buck is a Boat-Buck.

Thank you
I recommend the LSZ. I don't do much sail work, but right after I purchased my new sails, a slug caught and I used the winch and RIIIIP! I got some heavy Dacron and sewed a small patch with my LSZ-1 (the blue one) then put a new grommet and it was better than new. I also put zig zag on edges someties to make the piece look better. It's worth the extra money in my opinion. I put the heavy duty balance wheel with the hand crank and did some "Armageddon" sewing without electricity a few weeks ago just to see if I could - it worked great.
bljones and paul323 like this.
Old 12-21-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookwithgas View Post
I recommend the LSZ. ... It's worth the extra money in my opinion. I put the heavy duty balance wheel with the hand crank and did some "Armageddon" sewing without electricity a few weeks ago just to see if I could - it worked great.
I agree. You're already paying what some consider crazy money for a sewing machine- an extra $150 is not a ton. Besides, consider it Murphy insurance. If your life is like my life, if you DON'T get the zigzag within the next month you will have a need for it, and the cost to have someone else sew it will be higher than the cost of the feature.
davidpm and chef2sail like this.

Old 12-21-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

99.9 percent of the sewing my wife did (MMR here on sailnet - see her posts about stackpack design and construction) was with a regular sub 200 dollar machine. The rest was a needle and thread.

Here's the kicker - we had a LSZ1 - every time she went to use it the calibration went screwy and required adjustment.

If you aren't sewing sails and or 10+ layers you just don't need a overpriced cast iron weight.
Old 12-21-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Our LSZ-1 is the equivalent of a welder for "soft stuff". I use it for things I would not have considered as solutions to "problems" before having its potential. It is much more than a tool for making or repairing sails and covers. It depends on how you process solutions. It has expanded my "tool box" in ways I am very great full I have. The heavy duty balance wheel with the hand crank is a plus. Fabric art is next! Ha!

Down
Old 12-21-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We also have the LSZ. My wife does all of our canvas and is working on redoing the cushions this winter. She also checks each of our sail panels on each sail for thread degradation every winter.

As far as using a cheap machine, thats fine, but the portability of the Sailrite machine copupled with the heavy weighted wheel have made it a must for cruisers who may need to sew without electricity.

We have had zero probelms with our LSZ1 in 6 years and it has already paid for itself 5 times over just in sail loft expenses.

Dave
cookwithgas likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-21-2012

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

If you decide on purchasing a Sailrite machine from Sailrite, you might want to wait for a sale.

Also a zig-zag machine is not necessary for cushions.