Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-24-2012

thomashabanek is on a distinguished road
centerboard pin hole repair

Here goes...it leaks. The builder put a hole though all 4 hull areas (2 outside, 2 inside ((the trunk)). Then he put the pin in and glassed around it inside the boat. Over time, the half can of fiberglass over the pin separated at the point of the 4 hull areas. Simple enough repair...grind it out and reglass it following the same repair as a hole in the hull. But there are two pin holes that I cannot seem to get a seal on. These are 6" and 12 " away from the initial repair, the 12" being the last layer of the 7 layers of glass cloth I put on. So...my next step was to buy a tube of fiberglass with a hole in the middle that is just, and I mean just, a tad bigger in diameter than the pin. They use it in some type of antennae systems. My plan is to bore out the pin hole on the boat and epoxy in the tube, then trim it to the hull. Another would be to remove the pin, clean out the area where it is leaking inside the boat, put a vaccum pump on the outside of the hole, and make a epoxy mix like git rot and vaccum it into the pin holes. Or....any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: centerboard pin hole repair

Well.. I see you've been lurking a while... congrats on your first post.

As I'm sure you know, a few pictures would help a lot, it's a bit difficult to imagine just exactly what is where. Apart from that, though, the tube inserts sound like a good idea. Do you have access to do a proper job of tabbing/glassing the tubes in place?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-26-2012

Thanks. I have posted years ago. But so far haven't seen much to reply to that wasn't covered. This is a stickler of a problem.
Old 12-26-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

As Faster suggested a picture or two might help explain or describe your problem better.

Assumption: center board boat. What model?

I like the tube idea for the center board pin though.

Something to consider for inside your fiberglass tube: West Systems make a graphite powder that could be used to coat the inside of the tube. The graphite powder additive is supposed to reduce friction.
WEST SYSTEM | Products | Product Selection Chart

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-26-2012

It's a Irwin 37'.
Old 12-26-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Irwin 37' center board model narrows it down a bit.
It turns out that Irwin made no less than 12 different flavors of their 37 footer with only a few center board models according to sailboatdata.com.
Is this your boat? :IRWIN 37-1 CB sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2012

It is the boat. Actually Irwin made one hull. The full keel version, the shoal draft, and the shoal draft centerboard are all the same hull. The full keel simply has the longer part of the keel bolted onto the underside of the shoal draft keel. The centerboard version has the centerboard whereas the shoal draft without it...doesn't.
The point is that there is a pinhole leak and I believe the vacuum treatment will seal it. Next will be the tube insert. Last would be grinding the whole thing down and redoing it entirely. Or not.
I could just put another patch on the holes, vacuum that and hope for the best.

Get this. The boat weeps from those pinholes and fills up with water to the point where thje pressure from the water equalizes the leak stopping it. Its been like this for over 1o years, and much longer before I owned it. Scared the crap out of me till I did a little physics check. However, I would like to seal it. Finally.
Old 12-27-2012

OK Chatted with the Naval Engineer at Tartan Yachts (toured the plant this summer...like a kid in a candy factory...AWESOME) and went over the problem and solutions. He confirmed everything I thought of. So, I'll vacuum seal the holes first, then glass over them again, then bore the hole out and install the fiberglass tube.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.