Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor Wars

Actually, Mantus has made a number of different test videos. On one of his website pages, you will see tests using a winch on a truck with a chain/rope rode on the anchor to illustrate the holding power in that particular bottom. In another video, he summarizes the test results in three different bottoms giving the holding forces achieved in those tests. In those tests, you would have to say that Mantus was all around better. We've been a bit hard in some of our criticisms and those criticisms might be resolved a bit by reviewing all of the test series presented at this link, especially those in typical anchoring conditions:

....Test Videos | MantusAnchors

When I try to post the link above, it comes out different from what the page shows. Type in this link.

www.mantusanchors.com/test-video

Last edited by NCC320; 12-30-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: correct link
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Agree with NC, I think Mantus is just trying to show their anchor will set in conditions that the others wouldn't, realistic or not. Add some chain and the others may set better than without.

Paul T
Old 12-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Honestly, I think you guys are being a little obstinate. The video seemed like a fair comparison to me in terms of what was being shown. Was it "scientific"? No...it's a dude on a beach in shorts dragging anchors around on a short line for crying out loud. But you can't deny that for those conditions shown, the Mantus was pretty consistent in setting where the others weren't.

Mantus - a word of advice, you'll never win if you go down this road.
Good advice to Mantus. You can't video your own test and defend it. If there was a single attempt where the Mantus didn't bite, would it have made the edit?

Obstinate? Not really. I think its a good anchor, just like all the new-gen anchors. It's just a bad idea to film yourself to try to prove anything.

I'm still waiting for the vid of Smack flying one hull of Fiasco in the air, with a drink in one hand and the tiller in the other. But I ain't believing it's the first attempt......
smackdaddy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-30-2012

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

What's it made of? Why are they bolting the component pieces together? Not sure I'd want to trust my boat to a bunch of nuts! (No pun intended).
Old 12-30-2012

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
What's it made of? Why are they bolting the component pieces together? Not sure I'd want to trust my boat to a bunch of nuts! (No pun intended).
My 4,500 pound lead keel is held on by bolts. I've never lost sleep worrying that it would fall off.
Old 12-30-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Saw a new anchor two with weld joints that would be suspect awhile back.

Reality is, nuts/bolts or weld joints, either if not done correctly can and do fail. I would trust nuts and bolts before welds for many items. Hopefully, if one uses one of these as a storm anchor, as a few have bought them, they have time BEFORE the storm hits to tighten/torque the nuts/bolts to a proper spec and they should hold just fine. I would worry about other items on my anchoring system before nuts and bolts holding the anchor together. Like the rope rubbing on something below I can not see and breaking, the shackle tween the chain and anchor/ or chain and rope if the latter is not spliced. Maybe even the cleats on the deck!

Then I digress..........the fellow local with a mantus that went thru some 60 knot winds has a 65lb unit for a 40 or so foot boat, that is probably around 20K as he has it loaded. It did drag once, but personally, I would put it on operator error over the anchor itself, along with potentially some other issues beyond the scope of the anchor.

Marty
Old 12-30-2012

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
My 4,500 pound lead keel is held on by bolts. I've never lost sleep worrying that it would fall off.
Point taken, but somehow I think I'd rather have forged steel vs nuts and bolts.
Old 12-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
We certainly could, and we might... The truth be told that no matter what we do people are naturally sceptical and will certainly question our claims and challenge our video presentations. Chain certainly improves virtual scope via the centenary effect and thus improves setting ability.... And though I know that in this particular location the above anchors will not set with/without chain.... What our aim was is to show in the video that even in the worst conditions "no chain", "short scope", "very hard bottom" and the anchor still "SETS"
The parameters you were testing were very valid IMHO - being able to operate on short scope is an extremely valuable trait for an anchor.

I would recommend that you be more careful with your video work to ensure that all tests are viewed or presented the same - seeing one anchor being pulled with the tester, rode and anchor all in full view and another where only the anchor can be seen can lead to skepticism in the viewer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That was thoroughly discussed a while back. The ability to break it down and store it flat can be a big advantage to many.

Bridges and airplanes are bolted together. I agree that at first glance, a one piece forging intuitively seems stronger but it really isn't so.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-30-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Dear Netters, I feel like you are a family... Some members are at times problem children but I love you all nontheless So I wanted to disclaim that whatever anchor you have, you should be proud of it and defend it it is your right! But if you are in the market for a new boat present, check this video out....

eherlihy likes this.