Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Anchor Wars

Much better vid. It shows that each set similarly (unlike the previous vid), but the Mantus held better as you tried to power them back out. It is worth noting that the test uses anchors designed for boats generally under 20ft. A truck powering them back out isn't astonishing.

Nevertheless, you should really hire an independent certification company to do these tests and publish them. Your confidence in your product is clearly high enough to justify the effort. Manufacturer self-test advertising will always involve a little suspicion, no matter how hard you try. I have no desire to discredit, only to point out that these may have been the best showing of a dozen attempts. Seems you stand a good chance of winning an independent showdown.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Anchor Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Dear Netters, I feel like you are a family... Some members are at times problem children but I love you all nontheless So I wanted to disclaim that whatever anchor you have, you should be proud of it and defend it it is your right! But if you are in the market for a new boat present, check this video out....

much better video than the one in your original post, can't dispute much there.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Dear Netters, I feel like you are a family... Some members are at times problem children but I love you all nontheless So I wanted to disclaim that whatever anchor you have, you should be proud of it and defend it it is your right! But if you are in the market for a new boat present, check this video out....
And we love you, and the thought provoking anchor discussions you initiate, too!

Could you also develop a solar panel mounting bracket? You could call it "Solar-Stuck"... We could debate that for years.
Old 12-31-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That was thoroughly discussed a while back. The ability to break it down and store it flat can be a big advantage to many.

Bridges and airplanes are bolted together. I agree that at first glance, a one piece forging intuitively seems stronger but it really isn't so.
Yes, but the plate that the nuts go through on a Mantus appears to be welded to the shank, not forged. Wonder which is the weakest link.

I like the idea of bolts for a stowable anchor. For permanent, is there no concern over crevice corrosion?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-31-2012
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Mantus: Why are your recommended anchor sizes so much larger than Ronca or Manson?

I have a 7000lb empty, so probably 9-10000lb full 28' boat (Pearson 28-2). The conservative recommendation from Ronca is a Ronca 10 (10kg/22lbs) (good to 11,000lb boat). From Manson it is the similar weight Manson Supreme 25 (11.2kg/25lbs).

However the Mantus website recommends a much larger 16kg/35lbs because the 11kg/25lb model is only recommended for boats up to 5000lbs (an odd recommendation since few 30' cruisers are that light).

This immediately turned me off of your product even though some other aspects (the disassembly for instance) were nice.
Old 12-31-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Yes, but the plate that the nuts go through on a Mantus appears to be welded to the shank, not forged. Wonder which is the weakest link.

I like the idea of bolts for a stowable anchor. For permanent, is there no concern over crevice corrosion?
That plate has a cut out, the shank is welded from the top and bottom to the mounting plate..... You chain will break long before either the shank or the bolts give out. Have you ever seen anchor damaged where the shank pulled out? The most likely damage to expect is the bending of the shank with side load, this will happen with as little as 500 lbs if the anchor is stuck in rocks...
I am sure you have seen bent shanks before... We provide a lifetime warranty on all anchor parts no questions asked.... **** happens!

As far as corrosion, galvanized anchor.... once you star seeing rust on the anchor not just the tip, but bad rust everywhere, its time to inspect the bolts, they are protected because as long as galvanization stays on.... they will not rust and there is not rubbing on the guts of bearing surface of the bolt.... bolts do not effect the time before re galvanization....
When assembled its just like any other anchor, if you use the lube provided it will be easier to
remove the nuts 3-4 years down the road of heavy use....

Stainless Steel Anchors do have that potential problem, so as your SS chain-plates there should periodic checks on the bolts every 3-4 years... And if you buys SS anchor we will send you replacement bolts for free...

Last edited by Mantus Anchors; 12-31-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: more info added
Old 12-31-2012

I like the lifetime warranty. Same as Rocna. Requires either company to be in business in the future, of course.

There was incredible controversy over Rocna claiming a higher grade of steel that would better resist bending the shank, but then fell back on the warranty to protect buyers against failure of a lesser grade metal. Many didn't buy it.

How does the 500 lb bending force younreference compare to your competition and has it been independently tested?

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Mantus: Why are your recommended anchor sizes so much larger than Ronca or Manson?

I have a 7000lb empty, so probably 9-10000lb full 28' boat (Pearson 28-2). The conservative recommendation from Ronca is a Ronca 10 (10kg/22lbs) (good to 11,000lb boat). From Manson it is the similar weight Manson Supreme 25 (11.2kg/25lbs).

However the Mantus website recommends a much larger 16kg/35lbs because the 11kg/25lb model is only recommended for boats up to 5000lbs (an odd recommendation since few 30' cruisers are that light).

This immediately turned me off of your product even though some other aspects (the disassembly for instance) were nice.
Its simply the matter of being conservative for real cruising use...
The problem is all the test are done in good holding grounds....
If you go to an area that has loose muck its a completely different story
We size for a boat to stay put in 50-60 knot winds in protected bay..... Regardless what bottom you encounter....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbokFF6da44

In this video pay attention what happens in loose bottom

So we envelope our recommendation to cover the worst situation
Old 12-31-2012
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Rocna says the same thing about being conservative for real cruising use though. Here is what their page says:
"Our sizing is conservative, intended to provide an anchor adequate for use in all conditions most boaters would ever endure. We base our calculations on 50 knots wind, associated surge, and soft moderate holding bottoms into which it is assumed the anchor has set. Adequate scope is assumed."

That sounds very similar to what you've said, but you still recommend only half of the boat weight for the 10/11kg anchor than they do.

I'm not a fan of any specific next gen anchor since I don't own any of them. I'm leaning towards a Rocna due to the detailed technical answers on their website helping me choose the best one for my needs and explaining why their anchors work.
Old 12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Rocna says the same thing about being conservative for real cruising use though. Here is what their page says:
"Our sizing is conservative, intended to provide an anchor adequate for use in all conditions most boaters would ever endure. We base our calculations on 50 knots wind, associated surge, and soft moderate holding bottoms into which it is assumed the anchor has set. Adequate scope is assumed."

That sounds very similar to what you've said, but you still recommend only half of the boat weight for the 10/11kg anchor than they do.

I'm not a fan of any specific next gen anchor since I don't own any of them. I'm leaning towards a Rocna due to the detailed technical answers on their website helping me choose the best one for my needs and explaining why their anchors work.
Alex I am sure if you buy a Rocna you will be very happy with it!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.