Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor Wars

Manufacturers have been recommending anchors that are too light for marketing reasons for a long time.
If anchor A recommends a 40 lb anchor for my boat and anchor B recommends a 30lb anchor. Then a lot of people, sadly, believe anchor B must be better.

This creates a lot of commercial pressure for anchor manufacturers to recommend very light anchors. Mantus are to be congratulated for resisting this pressure and giving cruising sailors honest advice.
Mantus Anchors likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

The rule of thumb is; 1lb of anchor for every foot of monohull boat length.
Old 12-31-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
The rule of thumb is; 1lb of anchor for every foot of monohull boat length.
I think as you start to get above 40ft, the weight and windage start to increase exponentially and so does the necessary anchor weight. We have 75 lbs hanging off the roller right now and that's considered an avg weight, not excessive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-31-2012
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Where are the anchors manufactured? I'm sure it was covered many moons ago in other Mantus threads but I'm lazy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex77 View Post
Manufacturers have been recommending anchors that are too light for marketing reasons for a long time.
If anchor A recommends a 40 lb anchor for my boat and anchor B recommends a 30lb anchor. Then a lot of people, sadly, believe anchor B must be better.

This creates a lot of commercial pressure for anchor manufacturers to recommend very light anchors. Mantus are to be congratulated for resisting this pressure and giving cruising sailors honest advice.
Why would a manufacturer recommend an undersize anchor? Heavier is more expensive so more profit and lighter creates the possibility of some sort of failure.

I've found that manufacturers specs are frequently VERY conservative - over the top for all but world cruisers.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-31-2012

noelex77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Why would a manufacturer recommend an undersize anchor? Heavier is more expensive so more profit and lighter creates the possibility of some sort of failure.

I've found that manufacturers specs are frequently VERY conservative - over the top for all but world cruisers.
See post 45 by Alex W.
It suggests the anchor is better.

Most cruising sailors go up 1 sometimes 2 sizes from the manufactures recommendation.
Those that stick to the manufacturers recommendation are, usually, rarely anchoring overnight.

Your avatar sugests your anchor is too heavy
eherlihy and SloopJonB like this.
Old 12-31-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex77 View Post
Your avatar sugests your anchor is too heavy
Yeah - so much for sailing it out.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-31-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

"MOST" manufacture recommendations are for winds up to 40 knots. THey then recommend a size or two up if you have a heavy windage boat, and if in storm/hurricane conditions, also a size or two up. You can look at some of the sites, Danforth IIRC has size recommendations for 20, 40 and 60 knot winds. The more the wind, the heavier the anchor, along with fluke size to hold better.

I doubt that too many recommend an anchor that is too small per say, that would open up the rear for another hole to be drilled into if you will. Then they also can not predict ALL types of conditions, 40-50' waves vs 4-5' waves in 60 knot winds on an open ocean beach area vs here in puget sound. Possibly a 10 knot current going with a 60 knot wind! One has to personally adapt the size and type of equipment for the use they will run across.

Marty
Old 12-31-2012
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The argument here is that Rocna is undersizing their anchors and that I should step up a size. However everywhere else on sailnet people seem to think that their recommendations are accurate. They certainly provide the most detailed information on what conditions they are making those recommendations for.

I have upsized my anchor purchases in the past, but that was for a Lewmar Claw on a smaller boat where Lewmar provides very few details on what conditions their recommendations apply to. I do sleep on the boat while it's on the hook, and not always in the most calm conditions. I want a good anchor, but I don't want to carry around, haul up, or pay for extra weight if it is unnecessary.

I'm surprised and disappointed that Mantus found my query to be dismiss-able. It doesn't give me a lot of confidence when purchasing their product, which seems to be entirely against the point of them starting this thread. However I'm now very unlikely to buy a Mantus anchor and will step out of this thread.
Old 12-31-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post

I'm surprised and disappointed that Mantus found my query to be dismiss-able. It doesn't give me a lot of confidence when purchasing their product, which seems to be entirely against the point of them starting this thread. However I'm now very unlikely to buy a Mantus anchor and will step out of this thread.
Alex, my apologies I was not trying to be dismissive at all!!!! I thought you made a decision and had your mind made up and your arguments are solid...
We just disagree with Rocna on what conservative means that's all. I have seen boats drag... in the worst of situations. I was in Panama once and friend was on a 40 foot boat using a 45 lbs Manson Supreme 6:1 scope all chain and he popped out and had to re anchor in 35 knot gust situation when the harbour got bit exposed and had 3 footers crawling through it..... I have seen a boat end up on a reef when using an appropriately sized Spade... These are all awesome anchors... but in loose bottom all bets are off...
So I am sorry if I offended, I just did not want to be pushy proving a point....
Greg

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.