Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012

PhilipStevens is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to PhilipStevens
Re: Battery Cable Crimper

You can resize with Web Resizer - Crop & Resize Images Free Online - Optimize images for websites and email, save the image to your computer, and then upload using the paper-clip symbol.

Another way is to copy the image location from another url, and then paste to the symbol that looks like a "letter with stamp" / insert image.
Old 12-31-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipStevens View Post
You can resize with Web Resizer - Crop & Resize Images Free Online - Optimize images for websites and email, save the image to your computer, and then upload using the paper-clip symbol.

Another way is to copy the image location from another url, and then paste to the symbol that looks like a "letter with stamp" / insert image.
Thanks, but not what I was hoping for.. I hoped that there was a [IMG/size=xxx,yyy] tag that we could use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Like this
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Cable Crimper-image_11366.jpg  
Old 12-31-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Yup... how'd you do dat?

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 12-31-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
In my shopping I decided that were I to buy one, I would strongly consider this one for ~$60 from Harbor Freight;
Hydraulic Wire Crimping Tool

The problem with this tool is that the dies are neither labelled correctly, nor are they to AWG spec. I understand that the "AWG 0" pictured above is actually closer to an AWG 6. Harbor Freight has been told about this numerous times, but continues to sell the under sized dies.
While the hydraulic part is a decent price it is an entirely useless tool, with the wrong sized dies. I have seen crimps made with this tool and they are horribly over crimped with "tags" half the size of the lug... You can very easily over crimp or under crimp battery lug connections and over crimping is equally as bad as under crimping. In my opinion it is $60.00 thrown out the window without the proper dies. This is a tool typical of HF quality control.

Personally I'd suggest adding $100.00 to it and buy the FTZ tool and you'll have it for a lifetime. Hell buy it use it and turn around and sell it for $130.00 to another forum member or split it with a buddy.

Battery lugs are no place to skimp on the quality of the connection. Some of these battery banks, especially when we get into AGM's, can throw 20,000+ amps into a short. The last thing you want is a faulty lug crimp..

The FTZ tool is only $159.00 at KL Jack and well worth the expense. I am a strong opponent of "hammer" or "dimple crimps" on battery lugs for marine applications. I much prefer a 360 degree "swage" type crimp.

As a test to compare between my hammer crimper and FTZ tools I made two crimps. One with my Ancor hammer crimper and one with my FTZ lug crimper. Before inserting the stripped wire I filled the very end of each lug with grains of sugar. I then crimped each lug and dropped them into a glass of water.

The "hammer crimped" lug had wet sugar after less than an hour. Water had penetrated the crimp enough to get to the sugar. The FTZ crimp was bone dry when I drilled into it. I then made another FTZ crimp and at six months the FTZ made crimp was still pouring out dry sugar, when I drilled into it..

That is a big difference in how these crimps will survive in a moist marine environment. Hammer/dimple/staking crimps can also "molest" and fracture individual wire strands, not good....

The FTZ tool makes such a well executed crimp that even solder will not penetrate the crimp band area. This tool makes battery lug crimps that exceed Mil Spec, I've load tested them. While the HFT is a neat tool, in concept, it is far from well executed.

If you don't want to buy the proper tool for the job I'd suggest using Genuinedealz. GD uses the FTZ tool as well......
eherlihy likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-31-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yup... how'd you do dat?
Opened the pic on my desktop and re-sized smaller before posting it. I use Irfanview and Photoshop as well but any photo program will allow you to do the same re-sizing.

I will second the FTZ crimper @ $159. I bought mine a few years ago at GenuineDealz and have used it for hundreds of crimps since with great results.
Old 12-31-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

wSince I rarely crimp/swage big wires what I did was to cut and prep the cables on the boat then take them to the West Marine store and used thier swager/crimper to put on the lugs. The crimper sits out there for anyone to use. I bought thier fittings. Worked great. Helps to have the shrink tube on the wire beforehand so you don't have to pull it over the lug afterwards.
L124C likes this.
Cal-29
Old 12-31-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I have a "bolt cutter" style swaging tool now but in the past I have "crimped" new terminal ends on battery cables simply by putting them in a mechanics vice and cranking it down.

Not the prettiest and certainly not "proper" but they kept on working just fine. Heat shrink tubing pretties them up a lot.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-01-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In my shopping I decided that were I to buy one, I would strongly consider this one for ~$60 from Harbor Freight;
The problem with this tool is that the dies are neither labeled correctly, nor are they to AWG spec. I understand that the "AWG 0" pictured above is actually closer to an AWG 6. Harbor Freight has been told about this numerous times, but continues to sell the under sized dies.
Yeah....Thats a BIG problem! I would stay away from that vendor. I'm no electrician but took one look and thought: "there is no way thats 0 AWG!". The tool looks like junk to me anyway.
Old 01-01-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
You might also want to take a look at SWAGE-IT - Swaging Tools and Sleeves. The Swage-It tool works well with battery cable fittings and, of course, has other uses as well.

FWIW...
I bought the Swadge-It for my wire halyards but I've used it more for battery cables. $30.00 or so (IIRC) well spent. Fills the double use rule on a boat perfectly.