Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012

Tree is on a distinguished road
Battery Cable Crimper

Would anyone care to steer me toward a good crimper when making battery cables? I've looked around abit and see everything from "bang on it" kind, compound giant pliers, hydralic type rated in tons and even those who tout homemade ones from old cable cutters.

I'm looking for specific brand/model info if you have it.

It'd be nice if there a tool that accomodated multiple sizes as well (4,2, 00, etc)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Battery Cable Crimper

This article contains links to some very good crimpers and other information that is critical to good connections.

Making Your Own Battery Cables
smurphny likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-30-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

I purchased the crimper you hit with a hammer and a heat shrink splice kit from Genuinedealz , thinking I would never use it again and didn't want to shell out $250 for a crimper. Ironically, I used it again within two months. Worked great both times. They have the expensive ones as well if you want to go that route. Free shipping and a great source for wiring supplies that I found on this forum. They will also fabricate custom cables for you.
Genuinedealz
kellysails likes this.

Last edited by L124C; 12-30-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-30-2012

dsmauney is on a distinguished road
Battery Cable Crimper

These have worked very well for me. Look around for best price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NI3EW0

Goodwinds
DaveM
Old 12-30-2012

PhilipStevens is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to PhilipStevens

I would have thought that your electrical wholesaler should have been able to loan the heavy duty crimping tool. I know that most wholesalers in the UK can loan one - like the one below.

I have one like the above, that can do most of the extra big sizes needed for battery to starter cables. I don't use it often, but it has paid for itself a few times over.

I did have one like this

until someone "forgot" to return it. Though this only goes up to 25mm cable, whereas the other one will crimp cables over 75mm. (Sorry, not used to USA cable sizes.)
Old 12-30-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Wow, just reviewed the Genuinedealz website, the prices are fantastic and for the things that I was looking at, "zero" shipping charges! Yet another great tidbit of info from SN'ers, thanks!

Last edited by kellysails; 12-30-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

You might also want to take a look at SWAGE-IT - Swaging Tools and Sleeves. The Swage-It tool works well with battery cable fittings and, of course, has other uses as well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-30-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I was looking at buying a quality crimper, like the one at GenuineDealz. However, because I am not "in the business" (despite wanting to be), I couldn't justify shelling out another $200+ on a tool that I would rarely use. (maybe 20 times on my boat)

I therefore paid GenuineDealz the $1.00 per end, which is a BARGAIN, to have them do the labor. Their labor charge includes cutting, stripping, double crimp & adhesive lined heat shrink applied over the connection if you ordered heat shrink. They do an excellent job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 12-31-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I was looking at buying a quality crimper, like the one at GenuineDealz. However, because I am not "in the business" (despite wanting to be), I couldn't justify shelling out another $200+ on a tool that I would rarely use. (maybe 20 times on my boat)

I therefore paid GenuineDealz the $1.00 per end, which is a BARGAIN, to have them do the labor. Their labor charge includes cutting, stripping, double crimp & adhesive lined heat shrink applied over the connection if you ordered heat shrink. They do an excellent job!
In my case, I only needed to extend a eight foot battery cable two feet. So I would have been throwing away 8 feet of cable to gain two! In addition, getting the old cable out and installing a new one would have been a major PITA. On the other hand, I could have had a new cable made for less than the cost of a crimper! Tried to rent a crimper and couldn't, so I opted for the Conan style crimper for around $30, and ordered two more feet of cable and a splice kit. I had Genuinedealz put a terminal on one end, and I spliced the other. Not the prettiest splice, but it's sound, watertight and starts my diesel.
In addition to Genuinedealz shipping for free, I receive the order in 2 or 3 days, and I'm on the other side of the Country (Of course, the UK would be a different story!).
I've done 4 orders with them and have been very happy with each.

Last edited by L124C; 12-31-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

In my shopping I decided that were I to buy one, I would strongly consider this one for ~$60 from Harbor Freight;
Hydraulic Wire Crimping Tool

(does anybody know how to resize an image without copying the image)

The problem with this tool is that the dies are neither labelled correctly, nor are they to AWG spec. I understand that the "AWG 0" pictured above is actually closer to an AWG 6. Harbor Freight has been told about this numerous times, but continues to sell the under sized dies.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 12-31-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: resized