Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: outboard size for 23-26' boats?

I can only speak from my own experience. I had a Coronado 25, at about 4,500 lbs. Started with a 6HP which was OK in calm water. However, San Francisco Bay is anything but calm with strong currents. Long story short, went to a 15HP, same size and weight as the 9.9HP. It was all the power I needed, probably the 9.9 would have been enough.
Suggest you get plenty of power with the longest shaft that will fit. There may be quite a bit of weight and wind-age difference between a 23 and 26 foot boat.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2012

Ward H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstackjd View Post
Funny how almost all boat conversations eventually contain the phrase "the next boat"

I just want to get my wife on board with the "first boat" (sorry about the pun)
Hee Hee, That's what I thought when I bought my N17 last Nov. Once wife got on the boat over the summer she decided we needed a bigger boat. Bought a 25' Oday this past Oct. 2 boats in less than a yr AND she is now talking about moving up again so we have room for the dogs. Glas it is winter so she can think about that.

I wouldn't get a OB before the boat, unless the model boat is decided and you just have to choose which one. Too many variables. Will you need LS or XLS? Battery charging? Electric start because the motor is to low to easily pull start it?
Researching a motor for my N17 I read seveal times 1HP for each 500lbs displacement. My 25 is around 4,000lbs so an 8 is recomended. Having a 9.9 hp, in chop and high wind I can run < 1/2 throttle which is much quieter than full throttle. I also like to know I have power in reserve.

If your asking if the Eska OB is any good, I have no idea.
Old 12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward H View Post
Hee Hee, That's what I thought when I bought my N17 last Nov. Once wife got on the boat over the summer she decided we needed a bigger boat. Bought a 25' Oday this past Oct. 2 boats in less than a yr AND she is now talking about moving up again so we have room for the dogs. Glas it is winter so she can think about that.

I wouldn't get a OB before the boat, unless the model boat is decided and you just have to choose which one. Too many variables. Will you need LS or XLS? Battery charging? Electric start because the motor is to low to easily pull start it?
Researching a motor for my N17 I read seveal times 1HP for each 500lbs displacement. My 25 is around 4,000lbs so an 8 is recomended. Having a 9.9 hp, in chop and high wind I can run < 1/2 throttle which is much quieter than full throttle. I also like to know I have power in reserve.

If your asking if the Eska OB is any good, I have no idea.
Many years ago I used Evinrude and Johnson 2 strokes which were bullet proof. Had a Honda 4 stroke 2Hp and recently bought a Tohatsu 4 stroke 6HP for our fishing boat. Had the Honda for over 20 years of very hard use, it was perfect. Have the Tohatsu for a year, runs perfectly right bout of the box. Also have used rental Yamahas, same thing, they just run with no problems.
Long shafts are your friend for sailboat use. Also, some Mfrs offer low pitch, high thrust props, well worth it.

Paul T
Old 12-31-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

I bought 10 7.5 HP Eskas back in the mid 80's. I worked for a company that made fishing boats. All 10 motors eventually blew head gaskets. If the motor your considering is air cooled, I would pass on it.
Old 12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
I bought 10 7.5 HP Eskas back in the mid 80's. I worked for a company that made fishing boats. All 10 motors eventually blew head gaskets. If the motor your considering is air cooled, I would pass on it.
The Honda 2HP 4 stroke I had was air cooled. As mentioned above I ran it very hard for 20 years with no problems. To the best of my knowledge the person I sold it to has had no problems. Over the years I have had Honda cars, motorcycles, generator, and snow blower and am totally satisfied with all of them.

Paul T
Old 12-31-2012

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road

I sail a 26 ft Luger on lake Erie. My motor is a 8 HP evinrude saildrive with an extra long shaft. In normal conditions it is more than enough but I wish I had gone for more power. A 15 or even 20 HP would have been a better choice and well worth the couple of extra pounds that come with it. I also would have went with a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke. When the wind isnt blowing and you need to get home or the storm is on the horizon it would be nice to not have to listen to the 2 stroke screaming.A little more power means less stress on the motor as long as your not running it wide open.
Old 12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
I sail a 26 ft Luger on lake Erie. My motor is a 8 HP evinrude saildrive with an extra long shaft. In normal conditions it is more than enough but I wish I had gone for more power. A 15 or even 20 HP would have been a better choice and well worth the couple of extra pounds that come with it. I also would have went with a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke. When the wind isnt blowing and you need to get home or the storm is on the horizon it would be nice to not have to listen to the 2 stroke screaming.A little more power means less stress on the motor as long as your not running it wide open.
As mentioned we had a 15HP on a Coronado 25. It was all the power we needed for inside and outside of San Francisco Bay with its strong currents and high short (nasty) chop. As the 9.9 and 15HP motors weighed the same we went with the 15HP 2 stroke which at about 60 lbs was the same weight as our present Tohatsu 6HP 4 stroke.

I would have bought a 2 new stroke had they been available. Whatever boat you buy if weight is a factor you might consider a used 2 stroke, preferably used only in fresh water. I have seen lots of them for sale in our local Craigslist. Someday, when things get bad you will be happy you bought the bigger motor.

Paul T
Old 12-31-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
The Honda 2HP 4 stroke I had was air cooled. As mentioned above I ran it very hard for 20 years with no problems. To the best of my knowledge the person I sold it to has had no problems. Over the years I have had Honda cars, motorcycles, generator, and snow blower and am totally satisfied with all of them.

Paul T
I too am a Honda fan. I run a Honda dealership in Dallas and have owned Honda generators, lawnmowers and cars for years. The OP isn't asking about Hondas...it's an Eska.
Old 12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
I too am a Honda fan. I run a Honda dealership in Dallas and have owned Honda generators, lawnmowers and cars for years. The OP isn't asking about Hondas...it's an Eska.
So noted, I mis- read your comment of:

"If the motor your considering is air cooled, I would pass on it."

thinking you were referring to "any" air cooled motor. I have no experience or knowledge with Eska motors.

Paul T