SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   outboard size for 23-26' boats? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/95338-outboard-size-23-26-boats.html)

rstackjd 12-30-2012 12:28 PM

outboard size for 23-26' boats?

Ok, I know this is putting the cart before the horse and I might get flamed, but . . .

I haven't settled on a sailboat yet (spring's a long way off) but I've got a guy who is interested in trading a 5hp Eska outboard for some race shop equipment I have and don't need anymore.

would a 5hp 2-stoke motor be adequate for a 23-26' sailboat or would it be too small. Odds are I'm looking at "trailer sailors" (There's an interesting Helms 25 and Mac 25 available near me right now).

Anyone know anything about the Eska motors?

Thanks

algee 12-30-2012 12:36 PM

Re: outboard size for 23-26' boats?

5 HP should be plenty for that size boat, but depending on the boat, you might need a long shaft motor to keep the prop in the water going thru waves.

CorvetteGuy 12-30-2012 12:51 PM

I agree, long shaft is ususally needed cause of the freeboard height, 26 footer I'd consider a 9.9 of sorts.

rstackjd 12-30-2012 12:55 PM

Thanks guys - doing a little research it appears I need to find out if this is a long or short shaft and also if it's a F-N only motor or F-N-R (apparently some Eska's were only F-N which probably doesn't help me much)

Faster 12-30-2012 01:31 PM

As long as you have reasonable access to the motor, an F-N only engine will actually back the boat up better since you spin the motor all the way around and the prop is working in the 'right' direction all time, a much better scenario.

A 5 hp F-N only is rather rare, though. Agree long shaft is preferred. For the Mac 25 and similar boats, though, 5 hp should be plenty.

finding41 12-30-2012 01:32 PM

Go big or go home comes to mind. Size is dependent on ware you sail. If you are sailing against a current or tide a small motor may not cut it. I would go with a 9.9. (or what will hang off the trans.) That said I have a 7.5 on my MacGregor 26D. I think it is only just enough. I wouldn't want to do any coastal or great lake sailing with it. I would use a long shaft to keep the prop in the water. (I'm in the market for a 9.9LS)
It's not about speed. Your sailboat boat will typically only do hull speed with a motor.
It's about safety.
Remember it has to get you home in any weather.

rstackjd 12-30-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding41 (Post 968886)
Go big or go home comes to mind. Size is dependent on ware you sail. If you are sailing against a current or tide a small motor may not cut it. I would go with a 9.9. (or what will hang off the trans.) That said I have a 7.5 on my MacGregor 26D. I think it is only just enough. I wouldn't want to do any coastal or great lake sailing with it. I would use a long shaft to keep the prop in the water. (I'm in the market for a 9.9LS)
It's not about speed. Your sailboat boat will typically only do hull speed with a motor.
It's about safety.
Remember it has to get you home in any weather.

Thanks! Good points and I should have mentioned that I'd be sailing almost exclusively on Lake Michigan (though almost only in the inner harbor until I know what I'm doing).

Faster 12-30-2012 02:47 PM

If indeed you plan some weekending and cruising where you may not be able to hide from or avoid the odd patch of weather then a larger motor will be a better bet... but if it's just going to be harbour/daysailing in good weather then I think the added weight of a 9.9 or 8 hp engine will be a disadvantage..

However the good news is that the larger engine will probably transfer more readily to the 'next' boat..:)

rstackjd 12-30-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 968909)
However the good news is that the larger engine will probably transfer more readily to the 'next' boat..:)

Funny how almost all boat conversations eventually contain the phrase "the next boat" :laugher:laugher:laugher

I just want to get my wife on board with the "first boat" (sorry about the pun)

finding41 12-30-2012 03:06 PM

Here again I find this fitting. Go big or go home.
When I was shopping for a sailboat I was advised by more than a few people to get a 25 or 26'. (I was thinking 17' Sirus.)
Why? So I didn't have to sell the small one when I fell in love with sailing and wanted more room!
Saves stress on the marriage too. No having to TRY and explain the NEED for a bigger boat to the wife.
A 23' will sail just like a 26'. The extra 3' will seem like allot of space. It is!