Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-31-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Bruce anchor - real mccoy?

Jim,

If "ALL"you have is a danforth, I would pickup and appropriate sized "plow'ish" style anchor. Be it a bruce, fast set, mantra etc. This way if the danforth will not hold due to hardness etc, then hopefully the other will set. Most world wide cruisers will have 2 or 3 anchors on board for various and sundry reason. I have danforths, they work in some conditions. For there wt, they will hold more than a "plow" style........but some conditions the 'plow" styles hold better, and or will reset with tide changes better than danforths. Hence why I prefer them as my #1, with a backup danforth below.

Reality is tho, my smallish "race/lunch anchor" is above, the heavier bruce below as the back up. If I went heavier, I would probably look at the Mantus that is being offered on here with the bolts, so I could go to a 12-15kg size that is small and compact, when I need it bring it up deck, assemble and use. This of course assumes one has knowledge of a BIG wind storm coming, an F10+, time to set the larger anchor etc. Then one has the std sized, 7.5-10kg for our boats sizes on deck for the typical up to say 30-40 knot winds one may get into. Or in my case here in puget sound, maybe 10-15......

marty