Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-30-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Question Bruce anchor - real mccoy?

Just looked at my 7.5KG Bruce anchor I go with my boat. For some reason thought it was a Lewmar/= knock off. BUT, it has a "Bruce" "Made in Belgum" on it. Could this be a real Bruce and not a knock off from what some posters have said?

Marty
Old 12-30-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bruce anchor - real mccoy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Just looked at my 7.5KG Bruce anchor I go with my boat. For some reason thought it was a Lewmar/= knock off. BUT, it has a "Bruce" "Made in Belgum" on it. Could this be a real Bruce and not a knock off from what some posters have said?

Marty
Yep that's the real McCoy. There are big differences in geometry between the real Bruce and some of the knock offs, be glad you got a good one..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2012

If that is the case......maybe I will not try to get a 10KG version there off, and just increase my chain size and length from 1/4" at 15' to 25-30' of 5/16".........hmmmmm.....would be cheaper. Leave the 9lb fast set as the normal use rce anchor in the front locker..........options eh!
Old 12-30-2012

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Marty
Yup, my understanding is that Bruce anchors were made in three places: England, Belgium, and (I think) Brazil. One of mine is from Belgium and the other is from England.
Old 12-30-2012

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If that is the case......maybe I will not try to get a 10KG version there off, and just increase my chain size and length from 1/4" at 15' to 25-30' of 5/16".........hmmmmm.....would be cheaper. :
I recently bought a 33 pound genuine Bruce off Craigslist for $75. Paid about $35 for shipping, but it was still worth it for me to have the real Bruce and it fits on my bow roller better than the new gen anchors.
Old 12-31-2012

Jim,

Generally speaking, I do not keep an anchor on the bow roller. It is kept literally in the bow anchor box out of the way. Most sailing is racing with a crew of 5 or 6, so with that many, we can get an anchor out and set pretty quick. With barely 30' of OA boat, a BIG anchor as some of you use is not needed per say either. Previous owner sailed from the south puget sound up to desolation a few times in the 20 yr owning the boat. WIll assume this was the normal anchor used....he loved Bruces.....Not sure the anchor is the wrong size for general cruising where I do. I will go with longer line, and if I take an extended cruise up to desolation one of these years, I'll get a new anchor line and a double the chain for sure. Then my 9 lb race anchor would probably make a good stern anchor up that direction too. May need a roll of poly in the 300' range to tree tie also....One can be <50' from shore and still be in 200+ feet of water up that way! I've seen pics of boats literally bow to shore, ie a cliff and have 1000' of wall up, and 200+ feet below them! One needs multiple options for anchoring here.

Marty
Old 12-31-2012

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road

The Belgian Bruce is indeed the real deal and you won't break it. But whether it's heavy enough depends on the size and weight of your boat. As for chain, 30 feet is hardly enough!
I sail a small 30 footer (old style from the sixties, with not much windage) in Tasmanian waters and I carry 50 METERS of 8 mm chain with a 10 kg Manson Supreme on the bow roller. In 10 metres of water, with all the chain out, I have had 40 knots blow all night, with peace of mind knowing that the boat would rip in half before it would drag.
The Bruce is not a bad anchor, and in fact I had a 7.5 kg on the boat when I bought it. It is now in the stern locker on 10 meters of chain and another 50 of warp, for back-up or as a kedge. I would not trust it to hold in anything above 20 knots.
Old 12-31-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Yep that's the real McCoy. There are big differences in geometry between the real Bruce and some of the knock offs, be glad you got a good one..
Hmm, I picked up a 33lb Manta (Bruce knockoff) at a local WM that was closing for a ridiculously low price on their last day. This is supposed to be over sized for my 30 footer and I figured I'd swap my Manta for the Danforth when I start doing longer cruises.

Now you have me wondering - are there known issues with the geometry of the Manta and will it really be an improvement over my 20lb Danforth?

Thanks,
Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 12-31-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-31-2012

Jim,

I'd trust a manta over a danforth or its ilk any day of the week. At least here in puget sound, I have seen/had more issues with danforths dragging than a plow style like my bruce, fast set or equal. That is not to say someone should not have a danforth at there disposal if in clay/mud! That is probably the best anchor option for that soil material.....

Nor am I going to carry 150M/165' of chain for the area I sail in. That would be WAY too much wt to carry when racing, even tho my bruce setup is down below. No way am I singularly, or with a crew going to pull that much chain etc up. Most around here use a chain/line rode combo. Then again, we have very few if any spots with corral or equal rocky/jagged type area's that one might cut thru rope of proper size. We do get the wind, but not the waves or exposure. If it is going to be that bad....there is a marina I can tie up to usually with in an hour or two of knowing said forecast is coming thru.

Not if I was sailing to Oz or some such thing............now I would have a different setup, probably with a bit more chain, or a longer chunk for those really windy days etc. I've held with no issues into the low 30 knot range with what I have. But again, most of puget sound is sandy god holding overall.....with a few exception as all places have.

marty
Old 12-31-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Marty,
The Danforth works well in the sand bottom on Barnegat Bay. We've been kicking around destinations for a trip this summer (work permitting). I was thinking the bruce/manta might be a better choice if we go north.

I'd stay with the Danforth if we head south and are anchoring in Chesapeake Bay mud.

Maine Sail's comment about the geometry in some of the bruce style anchors got my attention. I know how critical that angle can be.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White