what glue for attaching foam insulation to the cabin interior? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-02-2013

geehaw is on a distinguished road
Re: what glue for attaching foam insulation to the cabin interior?

I think you will find that the spray adhesives eats the insulation. Have been thinking about this myself. I was thinking water-base contact cement or just foam board adhesive. I don't see anything holding that would leave it easily removable. I was thinking of using the vinyl flooring that looks wood flooring. But it is so heavy I doubt any glue would hold it vertical or overhead on foam board. And it might not lay flat on all the contours. Well I hope someone pipes in with a tried solution. Kb3pwc solution sounds the best so far.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road

I just ordered some of that non-woven carpeting which fits the contours (ie "monkey fur"), it is essentially the same as what was there before. It is not for the headliner, only for the sides of the v-berth laying on the hull. The stuff which was there had gotten mildewed over the years and was a little nasty, so I ripped it out and now want to insulate since I've got it out already. I even have the old carpeting to act as a template for the new stuff.

I had considered a nice cedar lining for the v berth but frankly, it would cost double what the carpeting costs and take 5 times longer to do. It's cold out, and I have other jobs which need doing so I don't really have the time. Especially since I don't live aboard, and it's just an old Hunter 25 nothing special. I am not too concerned about mildew anymore, since I did a refit last year and now don't have a drop of water intrusion anywhere on the boat even in heavy rain.

I don't know about the spray adhesive because there will def be gaps between the hull and the insulation, and I am concerned that moisture will condense in these gaps. Plus there will be a very imperfect bond anyway. The surface of the underlying fiberglass is very rough and still has some hairs from the original carpet stuck to it in a few places. Ideally I would sand it smoother and remove all surface imperfections for gluing, but I feel that this is a bit overboard and unnecessary in this particular case. So I figured some sort of a gap filling sealant/adhesive would be best. However maybe I will just go with the 3m if that will be adequate... marine caulking is dam expensive and I would need ALOT of it!
Old 01-02-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Headlining Replacement

That link has the how I did the aft cabin, plus a link at the end to the head redo. I also did the main saloon and V-berth area in a similar manner. ust not as many pics of those area's.

I second the 3M spray contact cement. I found the 88? worked as well as the 9x version, but did not smell as bad. The blue can, ie 77 was for the most part useless and a waste of $$$.

Marty
Old 01-02-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

IIRC the 3M #77 is for graphic arts use, not a structural adhesive. They make different grades of adhesive for different purposes, i.e. if you want to glue an overhead headliner to the underside of a car roof, where it gets quite hot baking in the sun, you need to use the "headliner" adhesive which is designed to resist the heat. Other special grades do other special tricks, like bond to "unglueable" plastics including polyethlene.

They're not all the same.

And 3M has some of the best toll-free customer support in the world, call the number on any product and you'll get real answers, not just someone reading a book.