what glue for attaching foam insulation to the cabin interior? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-01-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road
what glue for attaching foam insulation to the cabin interior?

I'm replacing the carpeting in my vberth, gonna add a layer of pink closed cell foam underneath the new carpeting. I think a thick sealant type adhesive will be best, to cover the rough surface of the hull well and seal between the foam and the hull so that condensation doesn't become a problem. Will marine grade silicone do the job here, or would that lose its grip after only a few years? Is there anything less expensive that can be used? It has to be remove able fyi so epoxy or 5200 won't work.

What should I use to attach the carpeting to the foam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: what glue for attaching foam insulation to the cabin interior?

3M contact adhesive maybe? Spray or can. I have no faith in silicone for anything. I've worked construction for over 20 years; most of us have outlawed it for anything years ago. Like i tell my troops; nothing sticks to silicone so silicone sticks to nothing.
Old 01-01-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I second the 3M spray adhesive. They make two strengths, use the strongest (I think it's called 90 or something as opposed to the 77). I've used it for foam sound insulation in engine compartments and it works great except for overhead which needs to be redone every couple of years.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-01-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Peter, silicone is the wrong adhesive. It costs a lot, has a high strength, and in that use? You need near zero strength. Look for a commercial carpet or flooring adhesive, or a latex "cove molding" type adhesive. Spread it on with a notched trowel, make sure it is designed to work with the padding you are using.

Of course, if you thoroughly glue down the padding that's gonna be a b|tch to ever remove, you might prefer to use double-sided carpet tape or just lay a 2-3" stripe of adhesive around the edges and in critical locations where the contour changes.

Offhand, "removable" says carpet tape to me, not adhesives.
Old 01-01-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Amazon.com: 3M 08090 Yellow Super Trim Adhesive - 19 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: 3M 08090 Yellow Super Trim Adhesive - 19 oz.: Automotive

... a bit 'stronger' than plain Super Trim adhesive and is used for 'heavy' headliners in vehicles.
Old 01-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Agree with the 3M recommendations, but I'd like to talk you out of carpet... try some easier-to-clean vinyl, formica or anything else less likely to glom onto moisture, dirt, mold etc. Wood battens most nautical, and can give a very warm feeling, vinyls and formicas can be light coloured for more light/bright below...

.. but other than a small mat at the companionway I don't think carpet belongs on a boat anywhere....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-02-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Obvisouly there's room for confusion here.

Peter, are you carpeting the overhead? The hull? Or the cabin sole?

What you can do and how well that's going to work will vary with what you intend to carpet.
Old 01-02-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Carpet is a guaranteed home for mold and mildew. Why go to the expense of closed cell foam, then cover it with a wet mop?

Go for the 3M, I like the roll on type for verticals.
Old 01-02-2013

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road

We did the overhead in our previous vessel....31 foot, lots of curves and had to grind off the foam left by the old cloth on the overhead. An ugly job.

We insulated with the pink foam panels you can get a Home Depot. We cut with a box cutter to let it bend in the boat and glued up with Liquid Nails. We also put up wood lathe with the Liquid Nails to tack up vinyl covering for the overhead. The foam was between the lathe strips. You need wood to act as holders for the Liquid Nails to set so the boat looked like a stick forest as pieces were set up and cured.

I was able to sew the vinyl pieces so they fit exactly to the shape of the boat's coach roof. The over head vinyl was then tacked up with a staple gun, securing into the wooden lathe strips. Varnished finish strips were then put up covering the stapled vinyl using phillips head screws.

The whole job was a killer but very worth the effort. Totally changed the appearance of the vessel's interior. The insulation was even better than the appearance. We were cooler in the summer and warmer during the cold months. A very worthwhile project. Worst part is grinding off that glue and foam before you can start.

Good luck with your project.

Leslie

s/v Tango, Cabo Rico 34
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD
Old 01-02-2013
Sailing Chance

SailingChance is on a distinguished road

We're actually going about this project ourselves on our 34' seafarer. We were going to line it with the marine carpet something like this for the insulation benefit: Hulliner and Headliner 72"

It claims to be mold resistant but does anyone have experience with this? If we were going to use a vinyl or formica how do we insulate it? Does it need to be insulated?

Thanks!

Kelley
ww.sailingchance.com

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.