Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Anyone make their own jackets etc.

$900.00?? Whew, some of you guys need "shopping training".

I bought a Helly Hansen Tactician's jacket at the Annapolis Boat Show on the last day for $160.00. Normal price: $375.00.

HH Men's Tactician's Jacket

The Tactician's jacket is similar to the Skagen jacket someone posted earlier, from HH's "coastal" line, which is their middle price/performance line which is totally adequate for the sailing that 90% of us do.

This jacket is one of my favorite pieces of personal gear, absolutely worth $160.00. Look for good sales and boat shows, buy a good jacket that is a little oversized, and layer yourself with some inexpensive wicking shirts, then an inexpensive fleece on top of that, then the jacket on top of that.

The wicking shirt pulls the sweat away from your skin, keeping you dry.
The fleece keeps you warm, and traps heat inside the outer layer.
The HH jacket keeps you dry from exterior moisture, and warm by blocking out the wind.

I know some of us are cheap bastards, but there are some things you shouldn't and don't have to compromise on. Exposure leads to fatigue, fatigue leads to mistakes, broken gear, and injuries. Good foul weather gear helps mitigate all of that.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

I have a Henri Lloyd TP2 Ventura that I picked up at the boat show a couple years ago for around $160 and find more than adequate. If you don't want to wait til October, I've also found good deals on foul weather gear around Presidents' Day (2/18 this year). I imagine retailers restock after the boat shows for fall rally/snowbirding season and then want to clearance it out again for new stuff coming in for spring.
Old 01-02-2013

windnrock is on a distinguished road

Agree with AirborneSF, nothing cheap in Annapolis. I walk in smiling, if I leave smiling it means I didn't buy anything! I did find a used Gill OS1 at a Good Will store for $65 though. Always check the "used" stores in marine oriented cities!
Old 01-02-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

David, I try to shop around at the end of the year clearances, when lines are bing changed and last year's color goes for cheap.

DIY on foulies could be a major task. The fabrics, whether you want gen-you-whine GoreTex or anything else breathable, are probably available SOME where. The patterns, with storm cuffs and a good collar and hood? Well, you can make your own pattern, start with cheap poplin or canvas and mock it up.

Then of coure there's the sewing. Even if you are that good on that complex a shape (and I'm told that the crotch on men's pants is the hardest thing to sew properly, stick to kilts) if you want to stay dry you also need to tape and seal the seams, all of them. Another good trick, locate the right adhesive and tape.

Dunno, I'd think buying a risky bargain on Gen-you-whine GoreTex for China, where Gore says they don't sell it, would be a whole lot less painful.

I wait like a vulture for the sales, and for the sales at the camping/hunting outlets.
Old 01-02-2013

Don't worry so much about the fabric, if it isn't goretex or not. Most of the waterproof/breathable fabrics all perform similarly well. Focus more on zippers, seams, pockets, pitzips etc. Most jackets tend to leak in these areas regardless of the fabric. Garment should have welded seams and be lined on the inside. Read up on different products and their properties. Also consider, slightly less waterproof = more breathable.
Old 01-02-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

There is one advantage to gen-you-whine GoreTex over any other material. If your Gore-Tex product is genuine, not counterfeit, and it carries one of their "extreme wet weather" or similar warranties?

Well, after five years anything may be leaking. But Gore will stand up to their warranty and REPLACE IT FREE OF CHARGE and speaking from experience, they've got great warranty service.

$900 is still a lot of money for a jacket. But in the $200-400 end of the market...Gore's warranty can effectively cut your price in half, whatever it is.
davidpm likes this.
Old 01-02-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

So far I have found West Marine's Third Reef jacket to be more than adequate. It doesn't breathe well, but then neither does PVC fishing gear, and that works for fishermen. Third Reef is nearly always on sale :

WEST MARINE Men's Third Reef Jacket at West Marine
Old 01-02-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

I have acquired a bunch of expensive gore-tex items over the last 25 years which i continue to nurse along as they work better than anything else

If for example you go to Target and look real careful you can find Poly Pro/wool base layers for 20 cents on the dollar and its what keeps you warm anyway

To be honest there is NO membrane or series of base and mid layers made that can pass the amount of moisture i generate when active and i ALWAYS get wet from the inside out

For my sailing i make due with some mid level west marine stuff
Tom, I love ya, man, I respect your workmanship, I admire your advice, but....
You're wearing tights. That just ain't right unless you are drawn by Stan Lee.

I do agree that $900 will buy a wardrobe. I have a perfectly serviceable West Marine "Third reef" jacket and bib overall pair that I have worn through five years of three season sailing and when shoveling snow in -10 degree weather and has been comfortable and effective.
For less than $300 on sale.
My boots have leaked more than the pants or jacket have, and with the conditions-appropriate layering underneath, I can gear down or gear up as conditions require without losing windbreaking or waterproof performance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
There is one advantage to gen-you-whine GoreTex over any other material. If your Gore-Tex product is genuine, not counterfeit, and it carries one of their "extreme wet weather" or similar warranties?

Well, after five years anything may be leaking. But Gore will stand up to their warranty and REPLACE IT FREE OF CHARGE and speaking from experience, they've got great warranty service.

$900 is still a lot of money for a jacket. But in the $200-400 end of the market...Gore's warranty can effectively cut your price in half, whatever it is.
Am I to understand that Gore-tex offered a warranty on a manufactured product, not just their material? The other products are not "counterfeit" they are just different micro porous materials, the Gore-Tex patent expired as well. Many are found in reputable products like Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, NorthFace and others. The benefits are that some products are more weather resistant and some are more breathable. Gill seems to be one of the more reasonably priced when on sale as well as SLAM. Henri Lloyd seems to be proud no matter what.
Old 01-03-2013
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
To get the right captain's coat I had to get at the sewing machine! Patterns are available, But; the 30 brass buttons where hard to find ,For material I stayed to navy blue wool. You could get what ever you want at a fabric store. What I am looking for is a good three corner hat!...Dale
And an eye patch.....Don't forget the eyepatch....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.