Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Anyone make their own jackets etc.

I was in the Helly Hanson store in Annapolis last week and was impressed by the prices. At $900 for a jacket my cheap side kicked it and I wondered how much the materials are?

I'm sure that learning how to sew something that complicated is a challenge but that is what us sailors live for.

Where would one buy the hi-tech fabrics at a reasonable price?
Tailoring has been done for centuries, good sewing machines are affordable.

I could stitch some random dudes name or even my own on the shoulder and tell everyone it is a European brand. If I used my family name "Metzler" it would even be technically true just have to go back a few generations.
The fit could be made right and all the fancy time-consuming extras that are never used could be skipped.

Anyone with tailoring expertise?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone make their own jackets etc.

To get the right captain's coat I had to get at the sewing machine! Patterns are available, But; the 30 brass buttons where hard to find ,For material I stayed to navy blue wool. You could get what ever you want at a fabric store. What I am looking for is a good three corner hat!...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 01-01-2013

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Anyone make their own jackets etc.

There isn't ANYTHING sailing related in Annapolis 'cheap' FWIW.
Old 01-02-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
To get the right captain's coat I had to get at the sewing machine! Patterns are available, But; the 30 brass buttons where hard to find ,For material I stayed to navy blue wool. You could get what ever you want at a fabric store. What I am looking for is a good three corner hat!...Dale
Do you have a picture?
What pattern did you use?
Old 01-02-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Got the pattern off of Ebay , Plan to get a picture/with the hat and use it for my avatar! So you will have to wait,besides the beard is'nt done yet!..Dale
davidpm likes this.
Where God got it done!
Old 01-02-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

David,
900 is a bit um, ridiculous.
You can get one online for half that ( STONEHAM JACKET - Helly Hansen Official Online Store) - but then half of ridiculous is still a mighty good chuckle.

Unless you are an elite class sponsored professional sailor you simply don't need to be styling it behind the wheel - or on the dock. I've watched a bit of certain fishing shows, those guys do just fine for 20 hour stretches - multiple layers with a good PVC based set of water proof overlay.

Besides, the high tech unobtainium fabric's just aren't for sale at your local Jo-Ann's fabric store. Wool on the other hand is, and with a silk lining it works just fine.
Old 01-02-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

I have acquired a bunch of expensive gore-tex items over the last 25 years which i continue to nurse along as they work better than anything else

If for example you go to Target and look real careful you can find Poly Pro/wool base layers for 20 cents on the dollar and its what keeps you warm anyway

To be honest there is NO membrane or series of base and mid layers made that can pass the amount of moisture i generate when active and i ALWAYS get wet from the inside out

For my sailing i make due with some mid level west marine stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2013

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road

David, you need to pick your spots when buying foul weather gear. I bought the HH Skagen jacket at that same Annapolis store last year for $189. List is $389. They discount heavily during the October boat show. I've.been very happy with my purchase.

For $189 I don,t think it is worth it trying to make your own. Besides getting the right thread, fabric, zippers, etc you would have to I figure out how to seal all the seams etc.
Old 01-02-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Like Chuck said, Stay away from the top of the line mega stuff. Unless you are a circumnavigator that spends weeks on end in the Southern Ocean, chances are you don't need it. You can get good quality "Coastal" gear in around the $120.00 range; Gill, Henry Loyd, and others. Shop when the local boat show comes to town, this is where you are most likely to find the best deals.
I am not sure even a good seamstress could duplicate all the features you find on the stuff. The inner sleeve with the separate velcro enclosure at the wrist is the first thing that came to mind. I can't imagine how the DYI could duplicate that, than again, I don't sew. Don't forget breathable fabrics, zippers on every pocket, inner pockets that are lined. There are several things I would think you would be hard pressed to duplicate.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-02-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

What kind of jacket was it? $900 would suggest that it's their top of line stuff.
You don't need that. Don't make your own, West marine brand is good for 80% of the sailors out there and it's affordable (it's still not great by any stetch). By the time you get the zippers, velcro, fabric, reflectors, wrists seals, reinforcing patches, reflective hook, shock cord, etc. it's going to be VERY expensive. Then the time and skill to put it together, tape the seams, and provide a warrenty? Just not worth the investment.

Buy some good gear and keep it for 10-15 years.