• 1 Post By danr620
  • 1 Post By tschmidty
  • 1 Post By kenr74

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
trailer bunks

Looking for the best way to pad the trailer bunks? I did not see a thread on this. What kind of carpet should I use ? How should I to Glue? Nail? Screw? stapel? the carpet to the wood? The trailer is for an FJ weight 230 lbs I have cut the metal mounts spread them, welded new ears on. This let me replace the rotting 2x4 with treated 4x4 Now I have bare treated wood. Do I paint the new wood or give it a clear coat The old wood was not treated. It had carpet. Under the wet carpet is Where it got the rot. My guess is it lasted ten years. What ever I do for this trailer I will do to my Catalina-22 trailer. in a few years. If it works out pretty good. I have seen some Catalina-22 trailers with white teflon blocks. This is not an option for the FJ but a few coments on the best thing to use for the larger boat would be great. PS I have never put or laid carpet down. I would like to do it myself. Thanks for the help ,Lou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: trailer bunks

Did a major rebuild of my trailer about a year ago. Used this for the bunk boards...
Bunk Carpet (12" x 12ft) #11247-1

I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, wrapped the carpet around the boards, and used a heavy duty staple gun to attach it on the underside of the boards. I used treated 2x4s and did not paint or otherwise do anything to them.

So far it's holding together extremely well.
Lou452 likes this.

Last edited by denverd0n; 01-03-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

Any outdoor carpet will work fine and you don't need to treat pressure treated wood.I have just gotten two feet of carpet from lowes, had them cut it for me into 1 foot x 12 foot strips and nailed it with short roofing nails on the bottom of the bunk. Staples just don't seem to hold well. You can use carpet adhesive or you can try 3m as well which should work fine.
Southron Spirit and Lou452 like this.
Old 01-03-2013

danr620 is on a distinguished road

Lou,

The above is good advice on the carpet, but you don't want staples or nails as they will rust and fall apart. When I redid mine that was what I saw and I was in fresh water. Looked around and got brass carpet or furniture nails and tied the carpet down, they went into the wood farther and hopefully will be on there a long time.

good luck

Dan
Lou452 likes this.
Old 01-03-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

I used galvanized roofing nails and haven't had a problem, but yes brass will last forever.
Lou452 likes this.
Old 01-03-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all !! The 3m stuff is water-proof I take it? Did you ruff up or sand the wood with 80 grit? I ask this because I used some liquid nails on a non boat project wood panel to older wood panel. I did not sand. The instuctions said sand but it was to late. I am not sure it would have made a better outcome. I was not pleased so I added screws also. The carpet may get brass screws or ss with washers. I like the idea of the roofing nails because of the large head. I am going to use screws. Nails on my wood back deck tend to push back out. I think the wood swells in the high heat an humidity here in Ky. The screws stay in. Thanks once more, Lou
Old 01-05-2013

kenr74 is on a distinguished road
3m

The 3M spray adhesive is definately waterproof. It is used to glue jet-ski mats to the fiberglass trays, and I have never seen a failure. I don't think sanding would do much good due to the way it bonds, but I could be wrong on that.
Lou452 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.