SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Interior retrofit (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/95493-interior-retrofit.html)

sailingonu 01-06-2013 03:30 PM

Interior retrofit

I have taken the carpet off the bulkheads of my 1976 Reinell 2210. Now looking for best solution for putting something back on bulkheads other than carpet.

I was thinking of just painting, boring, then thought about placing wood slats horizontally along bulkhead, but not sure how to go about that?
Any ideas out there, nothing is ridiculous!

Faster 01-06-2013 03:39 PM

Re: Interior retrofit

Now that you're down to bare structure your options are endless.. and good on you for not replacing with carpet! :)

I think vertical boards will look better.. they can be glued in place easily enough. Another option that will leave the interior brighter is the 'herreschoff' look, white laminate with stained wood trim around the edges. Veneer or plywood panels can also be glued but requires more careful cutting and fitting to avoid unsightly gaps. Some tidy trim moldings around raw edges will leave a better look.

sailingonu 01-06-2013 03:44 PM

Thanks Faster,

I thought about laminate too but not able to find much around here. However I like your thought on vertical look too. But the laminate with wood trim sounds real appealing too. Do you know what glue would be best to use?

Faster 01-06-2013 04:13 PM

For wood I'd probably go with any of the 'liquid nails' type of construction adhesives, and maybe score/rough up the bulkhead surface first if necessary.

For Laminate you could use the same but contact cement would leave a smoother result. There are some quite effective water-based contact cements that I've used that are less 'fumey', but 3M also makes a spray on version that is effective as well.

poopdeckpappy 01-06-2013 04:49 PM

Weldwood in the red can ( not the green can stuff ) and/or Spray 90 works really well.

Ya know what I did on our last boat several years ago was, ( in the V berth area ) I went and got a couple 2" net x 10" x 6' pieces of teak s3s, I ripped approx.1/4"x2" strips with a table saw then ran them thru my surface planer ( down to around 3/16) and eased the edges by sanding

I then laid out & painted 1" horizontal stripes every 2" on the bulkhead and hull with a egg shell gloss epoxy ( 2 coats excluding a primer ) once that dried ( the following weekend ) I use some 3/4" fine line masking tape and taped a horizontal strip over the paint, I then applied laminate adhesive to the area I was working and the pre cut and fitted teak slats, after a couple minutes I started at the top and applied one slat, rolled it hard with a lam roller, pulled a strip of tape and applied the next strip using a couple pieces of teak cutoff as a guide/spacer.

It's a lot of work but it's fun stuff and it ended up very good looking. I still can smell the fresh cut teak & oil........smelled like victory;)

bljones 01-06-2013 05:30 PM

Personally, I figure on a small boat the more weight added for frills the less weight available for beer.
Paint the interior with gravel guard to even out the texture of the raw fiberglass then paint. this is quick, easy, clean, wil make the interior brighter and will also make your boat marginally quieter. Then add some wood trim such as fiddles around the galley, veneer and varnish the table-top, then hang some shelves and stuff.