Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bljones

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013

sailingonu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to sailingonu
Interior retrofit

I have taken the carpet off the bulkheads of my 1976 Reinell 2210. Now looking for best solution for putting something back on bulkheads other than carpet.

I was thinking of just painting, boring, then thought about placing wood slats horizontally along bulkhead, but not sure how to go about that?
Any ideas out there, nothing is ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Interior retrofit

Now that you're down to bare structure your options are endless.. and good on you for not replacing with carpet!

I think vertical boards will look better.. they can be glued in place easily enough. Another option that will leave the interior brighter is the 'herreschoff' look, white laminate with stained wood trim around the edges. Veneer or plywood panels can also be glued but requires more careful cutting and fitting to avoid unsightly gaps. Some tidy trim moldings around raw edges will leave a better look.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-06-2013

sailingonu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to sailingonu

Thanks Faster,

I thought about laminate too but not able to find much around here. However I like your thought on vertical look too. But the laminate with wood trim sounds real appealing too. Do you know what glue would be best to use?
Old 01-06-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

For wood I'd probably go with any of the 'liquid nails' type of construction adhesives, and maybe score/rough up the bulkhead surface first if necessary.

For Laminate you could use the same but contact cement would leave a smoother result. There are some quite effective water-based contact cements that I've used that are less 'fumey', but 3M also makes a spray on version that is effective as well.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-06-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Weldwood in the red can ( not the green can stuff ) and/or Spray 90 works really well.

Ya know what I did on our last boat several years ago was, ( in the V berth area ) I went and got a couple 2" net x 10" x 6' pieces of teak s3s, I ripped approx.1/4"x2" strips with a table saw then ran them thru my surface planer ( down to around 3/16) and eased the edges by sanding

I then laid out & painted 1" horizontal stripes every 2" on the bulkhead and hull with a egg shell gloss epoxy ( 2 coats excluding a primer ) once that dried ( the following weekend ) I use some 3/4" fine line masking tape and taped a horizontal strip over the paint, I then applied laminate adhesive to the area I was working and the pre cut and fitted teak slats, after a couple minutes I started at the top and applied one slat, rolled it hard with a lam roller, pulled a strip of tape and applied the next strip using a couple pieces of teak cutoff as a guide/spacer.

It's a lot of work but it's fun stuff and it ended up very good looking. I still can smell the fresh cut teak & oil........smelled like victory

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 01-06-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Personally, I figure on a small boat the more weight added for frills the less weight available for beer.
Paint the interior with gravel guard to even out the texture of the raw fiberglass then paint. this is quick, easy, clean, wil make the interior brighter and will also make your boat marginally quieter. Then add some wood trim such as fiddles around the galley, veneer and varnish the table-top, then hang some shelves and stuff.
downeast450 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.