Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: What's Wrong With This Picture??

Also if you have a real old boat with a TRIPLE pole breaker that interrupts the green wire, please do jumper around that one!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2013

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

BTW, and unrelated to your pop quiz, the indicators are either incandescent or neon, not LEDs, and just need a few turns of white electrical tape on the black wires connected to neutral.

Last edited by Brewgyver; 01-09-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
From this photo it's hard to decipher where the incoming feed is etc. It does look like one of the breakers may be jumpered on the right, I believe.
Above was post #3. I guess I need to supply arrows next time.

My previous reply was composed before I saw MS's reply. All good info and great to work the mind and assume NOTHING existing is correct. Thanks Maine Sail.
Old 01-09-2013

When I was in the business I would see stuff like that and think and $$$$. I always figured everything else was even worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
BTW, and unrelated to your pop quiz, the indicators are either incandescent or neon, not LEDs, and just need a few turns of white electrical tape on the black wires connected to neutral.

Why couldn't they be LED's? I have a Blue Sea Systems panel that came equipped with them. They definitely are LED's, also confirmed by the spec sheet and installation instructions.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-09-2013

They don't look like LEDs to me. They look like old neon lights.

Old 01-09-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

Red is also an improper color to be used on this particular panel. Red wire denotes 12V DC + or one leg of a 240V AC system. This is a 120V system and as such only BLACK/HOT, WHITE/NEUTRAL and GREEN/SAFETY GROUND are to be used not red. While not the main problem it is one of the many smaller "issues" ....

Main, the red hots appear to be only used breaker to breaker, not on a run. Was that ever accepted standard in the past, because I've seen it before.

Old 01-09-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Those are neon indeed because it is an older boat and I did not replace them with LED as all were still working. You also can't be fooled by the "look" of the indicator light. The manufacturers of those indicators offers that same indicator light style in LED, neon and incandescent. Most every new AC/DC panel ships with LED indicators so I am just used to saying "LED".. I also generally replace neons with LED when dong a panel rebuild and some neons are shot...

The neutrals were tied into a white/neutral wire running back to the neutral bus and the reverse polarity got a green pig tail where it heads off to the grounding bus....
OPossumTX likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-09-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Main, the red hots appear to be only used breaker to breaker, not on a run. Was that ever accepted standard in the past, because I've seen it before.

No never an "accepted" standards practice but was certainly done. It's because of installations like this that we now have "standards".....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-09-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Bingo!!!!! We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's wrong with the photo is;

In a marine application the double pole main breaker is intended to interrupt both the NEUTRAL/WHITE wire and the BLACK/HOT wire. The main breaker should not be jumpered like that to break only the BLACK/HOT wire.

Red is also an improper color to be used on this particular panel. Red wire denotes 12V DC + or one leg of a 240V AC system. This is a 120V system and as such only BLACK/HOT, WHITE/NEUTRAL and GREEN/SAFETY GROUND are to be used not red. While not the main problem it is one of the many smaller "issues" ....

The other major issue on this boat was that the AC/DC grounding bond tie was non-existent. The GREEN AC safety ground wire is to be tied to the ships DC grounding bus, it was not.

OK now thump chest and give two thumbs up!!

This is what the panel looked like a few hours later. Notice the difference in how it is wired. The top two wires, white and black are the AC input from shore. Out the bottom left of the breaker the white/neutral leads back to the AC neutral bus for distribution and the black/hot feeds the individual branch circuit breakers out the bottom right of the main AC breaker

If your boat is not wired to interrupt both BLACK/HOT and WHITE/NEUTRAL, in a fault, please get this fixed..
By looking at your work, I believe you could be a big help to me. I need to rewire my mast. Currently it only has a steaming light. I would like to add spreader lights and a masthead light. The mast is deck stepped with wiring internal. There are no external plugs or connections. There is currently two wires that power the steaming light which is disconnected by a two pin marine plug for mast removal. There are two more pairs that are stubbed out from the cabin top and terminated. The breaker panel lists the extra pairs as "spreader light" and "spare 1". The breaker panel also has a "spare 2" but I'm not sure where it's wire is run. I'm mechanically inclined but electrical stuff confounds me. Any recommendations for tackling the project would be must appreciated. The mast is currently in the backyard on saw horses and I'm rearing to go.