Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
Re: What's Wrong With This Picture??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
If your boat is not wired to interrupt both BLACK/HOT and WHITE/NEUTRAL, in a fault, please get this fixed..
Maine Sail- what exactly do you mean by "in a fault"? Is that a term for a specific kind of circuit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
Maine Sail- what exactly do you mean by "in a fault"? Is that a term for a specific kind of circuit?
Any sort of "fault" that would trip the breaker such as a short, internal problem in an AC appliance, over load of the circuit or other problem...

Unlike land based applications we have many, many, many cases of reverse polarity issues on boats. Thus the white and black are both interrupted in the event of a fault and a reverse polarity indicating lamp is installed.

Muffy & Skippy fire up the new 42 foot Sea Ray toss the dock lines and proceed to yank the dock pedestal out by the roots. The marina sends Darrell and Darrell down to fix it but Darrell confuses the silver screw for the brass one. These types of issues are why we break both the hot and the neutral in marine applications.

If the pedestal or your boat are improperly wired so hot and neutral are backwards, and you have only a single breaker tripping HOT, as shown in the original pic, the neutral, NOW HOT, has no circuit protection other than the main breaker which is way larger than the wire is rated for. Also the neutral bus will always be hot with no way to turn it off short of unplugging. A turned off double pole breaker isolates the neutral bus but not when it is wired for breaking just the hot wire.

What if someone is working on your boat? They assume they have turned off the main breaker but unless they physically unplugged the boat the reversed neutral is still live due to the reversal of polarity. This is also why reverse polarity indicators are so important. A boat with an AC system should have a reverse polarity light and a double pole breaker that interrupts both hot and neutral.
Brewgyver likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-09-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: What's Wrong With This Picture??

Thank You Professor MaineSail! I always enjoy your online courses. I know most of the sailnet group feels the same way.
Old 01-09-2013

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post

Why couldn't they be LED's? I have a Blue Sea Systems panel that came equipped with them. They definitely are LED's, also confirmed by the spec sheet and installation instructions.
Well, I was refering to the indicator (or Pilot) lights in the picture. If they were LEDs the wires would be color coded for polarity. Polarity doesn't matter for neon or incandescent, but it does for LEDs - they will not light with reversed polarity (they're diodes, and a diode only allows current to flow in one direction).
Old 01-09-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Not so for *AC* circuits. Either way, they are in wrong half the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Well, I was refering to the indicator (or Pilot) lights in the picture. If they were LEDs the wires would be color coded for polarity. Polarity doesn't matter for neon or incandescent, but it does for LEDs - they will not light with reversed polarity (they're diodes, and a diode only allows current to flow in one direction).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-09-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

Some panel mount LEDs have an internal diode bridge to make them non polar. This allows them to be used on AC and reverse polarity DC systems. Also, some LEDs are bright enough that even when they are only on half the time, they still give enough light to indicate acceptably. There will be a resistor or other current limiting circuit as part of the indicator.

The ones that give me fits are the ones that change color with polarity or by mulitple lead connections. I am red/green color blind and though I can usually see that the cussed thing is ON, I cannot always tell what color it is.

Last edited by OPossumTX; 01-09-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Thanks, guys- definitely clears it up, but also makes me glad I only have a dc system!
Old 01-09-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Kinda hard to tell but is that a neutral I see going to the bus ? another no no.
Old 01-09-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

And here I thought the issue was the fact that there was no COVER over the AC. Isn't that part of the ABYC code?
Old 01-10-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I found this thread last night, while setting up a new TV with an internet browser. While I could read, and see the pix, I could not post a reply using the remote control (with only an numeric keyboard).

The things that I saw/see are:
  • Neutral should have a breaker - I can't see one.
  • There is no reverse polarity indicator - making the above downright scary!
  • ABYC Color code? - NO way does this conform.
  • The ground bus does not look to be secured to anything. This could get exciting in choppy water, while connected to AC. (For example during a storm, while secured, and connected to AC, at the dock)
  • Also on that ground bus (I would love to have seen a clearer pic of that), it appears that Green, White AND Black are all connected.

In your opinion, was this wiring done by the owner, previous owner, or builder?

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.