Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Furler recommendation?

I have used two of the current models of furlers. I like both the Furlex and Profurl although for ease of maintenance the Profurl is better. I have also had less issues(although minor with the Furlex) than I have had with the Profurl.

I am thinking of buying a Profurl Spinex for my Asym.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The Harken Cruising has a swivel at the head (as do all furlers), but not at the tack. The Harken MKIV and Hood Seafurl 5 are two furling systems that I'm aware of with swivels at the head and tack. This furls the sail tighter and from the middle of the sail instead of from the head and tack.

One thing to be aware of with the Alado, CDI, and similar furlers is that the halyard is on the furler instead of coming from the mast head. This makes it less convenient to use the halyard to control sail shape. You'll have to decide for yourself how critical this feature is to you.
Old 01-11-2013

glassdad is on a distinguished road

The Alado does have the halyard on the furler and it is difficult to adjust the tension. What I do is use the backstay adjuster. We have a masthead rig so tightening the backstay tightens the headstay.
Old 01-13-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Thanks, guys. Good feedback - all of it!

I'm getting a quote from the rigger on a Furlex 200S and a Harken MKIV (not the cruising version) and will post back here with the result.

Cheers,
Cameron

EDIT: ..and thanks, Knut, for the pics of the Facnor FD. I'd not seen one before and the rigger mentioned it as an option, but the tape system really won't work for me, so we were able to rule that one out fairly quickly. Alado, CDI, etc. weren't on his list...

Last edited by Classic30; 01-13-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Update: I suppose it's lasted for 20 years or so, but after my experiences with this one I would never buy a Hood furler again (my engine is less complex!) and the Profurl got ditched early on in the discussions after finding it's a little "precious" with it's maintenance.

So... the rigger came down yesterday and measured up and I've placed an order for the Furlex 200 with integral rigging screw. It's slightly cheaper than the Harken MKIV and comes with a replacement forestay as part of the kit - which I need - and is extra cost again for the Harken.

I know a lot of people using the Harken, including TDW and my Dad, and it is indeed a really good piece of kit but after watching the plastic (sorry, it's CF..) drum disintegrate on the Womboat... nah, I need something a little more robust.

Last edited by Classic30; 01-16-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Furlex is quality gear well worth its price. I expect you'll enjoy it for years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Classic30 likes this.
Old 01-16-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

I have a 22-yr. old Profurl that was just professionally rebuilt (bearings/seals). It wasn't cheap, but it would have cost a lot more to replace it.
Old 01-17-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Cam,

Granted you cruise some, but I know you race some too......if you have multiple head sails for racing, it may behoove you to have a furler where the drum can come off with 2 pins/bolts etc. Lewmar and the harken IV are the only ones "I" know of. The one you are looking at may be one too. I do ot personally know of that brand. You may have a furler not available here in NA continent vs down under.

BUT, at the end of the day, you are the one that needs to get thru the plus's and minus's of any given brand.

Marty
Old 01-17-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
I have a 22-yr. old Profurl that was just professionally rebuilt (bearings/seals). It wasn't cheap, but it would have cost a lot more to replace it.
Believe me, with the $$$ these things cost, now that I've worked the darn thing out I would have happily had the Seafurl professionally re-built, however:

(a) Support here is practically zero. The guy that used to do it locally retired a couple of years back. There's a helpful guy at Hoods in Sydney (one guy!) with basically no spares to hand and Pompanette in the USA (also very helpful but with limited spares left and none being manufactured)..

(b) I'd have had to have the rigger take the forestay off the boat, then ship the whole kit to Sydney, wait a week or two (with no forestay!) whilst the parts come in from the USA, have it re-built then shipped back here and get the rigger out again (plus travel time) to get it re-installed and re-adjusted.

It turns out it's wayyy safer, quicker and easier (and possibly cheaper - not sure) to order a new furler set-up on a new forestay, sitting on the dock, and pay a hour's labour for the rigger to swap forestays and re-adjust.. plus the Furlex has plenty of local support and spares.
Old 01-17-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Cam,

Granted you cruise some, but I know you race some too......if you have multiple head sails for racing, it may behoove you to have a furler where the drum can come off with 2 pins/bolts etc. Lewmar and the harken IV are the only ones "I" know of. The one you are looking at may be one too. I do ot personally know of that brand. You may have a furler not available here in NA continent vs down under.

BUT, at the end of the day, you are the one that needs to get thru the plus's and minus's of any given brand.

Marty
Thanks, Marty.. all covered. Like the Harken, and unlike the Seafurl, the Furlex drum splits in half for removal for racing.

Yo're right though - there are pluses and minuses for all of them, and the advice here helped to add to the list. For me, it came down to a couple of options with the Harken being the one I knew most about, but the yachts around me at the Club I'm in use pretty much everything under the sun (except the Seafurl that is) so I've been able to ask around also. One of the yachts I race against uses the Furlex and he is quite happy - but people here don't sail the miles some of you guys do, so the long-duration experience was a bit light on..
blt2ski likes this.