Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Furler recommendation?

I thought of something else before hitting the sack here......11pm on the left coast of NA.....how is tomorrow shaping up?...........the luff has twin grooves does it not? no use having a removable drum with out the ability to draft the new with old sail going up and down etc!

Now that I am rereading, I believe I have heard of Furlex, but not as popular as harken or lewar among other furlers local. Profurl may have some sales.......I have a feeling, you and I would go after the same basic what we want out of a furler......one of these days I may get one..........

Marty
Old 01-17-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

I love my pro furler and don't think i would go with anything else if you want durability. It's tough as nails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I thought of something else before hitting the sack here......11pm on the left coast of NA.....how is tomorrow shaping up?...........the luff has twin grooves does it not? no use having a removable drum with out the ability to draft the new with old sail going up and down etc!

Now that I am rereading, I believe I have heard of Furlex, but not as popular as harken or lewar among other furlers local. Profurl may have some sales.......I have a feeling, you and I would go after the same basic what we want out of a furler......one of these days I may get one..........

Marty
G'day Marty. It's morning here - it'll be 30degC today but that's cooler than the 41 we had yesterday.. and as dry as a pizza oven. It's so dry here at the minute you don't actually sweat outside - it instantly evaporates off your skin - so keeping both cool and hydrated is a challenge.

Twin foils = check. Split drum = check. Internal rigging screw = (optional) check... $$$ = check.

Yep, they're not as popular as Harken (the Racers' Choice), Lewmar or even Profurl, maybe 'cause they're French - but I know a couple of people using them and nobody here (or anyone else I know) had anything particularly bad to say about them, so I figure they must be ok... right?

I've never really taken much notice of what various different furlers people are using - although you can spot the Black Harken a mile away. Having had a Furlex pointed out to me recently the conversation went more like: "Oh.. One of those! Riiiight.."
Old 01-17-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Cam, I wish it were 30-40C here! try about 30F!!! or -1C or there abouts, foggy due to a temp inversion tween the two mtn ranges, no wind, pollution is not getting driven out etc......not fun. Oh, and freezing fog in some area's....not many, but it is still there......

anyway, not sure which furler I would get, other than those general "$$$$/check" terms you rattled off! Along with funds to recut one of my sails, or get a new one to fit the furler.......youch! I have a few other items I need more than a furler frankly!

Marty
Old 01-18-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Yep, they're not as popular as Harken (the Racers' Choice), Lewmar or even Profurl, maybe 'cause they're French
Furlex is Swedish
Facnor is French
Profurl is French
Harken from USA

Old 01-18-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
Furlex is Swedish
Facnor is French
Profurl is French
Harken from USA

Oops.. my bad. I saw the accent on the "e" in "Selden" and assumed... wrongly.

No wonder the manual is so well written!!
Old 01-29-2013
Once known as Hartley18

After four hours wrestling with the old one(*), assembling the new one, re-tensioning the rig and re-tensioning myself after paying the bill (isn't anything cheap these days?.. no, don't answer that ) I'm now the proud owner of a brand new Furlex 200S - and a bright, shiny thinghy it is too!!

..now to get the headsail sorted and I can go sailing again.

* = here's some of what we needed to go through: I'd forgotten that the forestay is fastened to a through-bolt that also carries the turning blocks for the two jib halyards, although the rigger reminded me fast enough when I sent him up on the main halyard to undo the forestay. After hooking up the spinnaker halyard for the temp forestay, that meant that, once he unfastened the whole shebang, there wasn't anything left to lower the forestay down - so, after thinking about this for a bit, he clipped one of the jib turning blocks to his bosun's chair(!) and we lowered away..
Old 01-29-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Cameron,
Womboat furler that blew apart is a Furlex. in reality all that happened was the outer cover was UV degraded and it disintegrated. Replacement parts were not all that expensive and took ten minutes to fit. Although I bought replacements for both the inner and outer stays the inner is still the original and seems fine. I guess it is less exposed to the sun.
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 01-29-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

No problems with my Harken Cruising furler itself but the devil is in the detail of installation. It went from a reluctant, temperamental nightmare, to being 100% reliable, with two mods :

1) Halyard retainer at the top, so that the halyard can't catch on the furler swivel.

2) A ratchet block in the cockpit on the furling line, which keeps the line under tension. This helps the line coil on the furler without overrides, and has the useful side effect of making it easier to unfurl the sail controllably in stronger winds.
Old 01-29-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Cameron,
Womboat furler that blew apart is a Furlex. in reality all that happened was the outer cover was UV degraded and it disintegrated. Replacement parts were not all that expensive and took ten minutes to fit. Although I bought replacements for both the inner and outer stays the inner is still the original and seems fine. I guess it is less exposed to the sun.
Andrew B
For some bizzarre reason I thought it was the Harken.. oh well, they're both black.

The Furlex does seem like a good unit - and that I can understand the Manual is a bonus. I'll be down there this arvo with the sailmaker to talk about adjustments to the headsail... then I get to go sailing again.

C.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.