SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Frozen Sail Slide (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/95657-frozen-sail-slide.html)

Outrageous 01-11-2013 10:02 PM

Frozen Sail Slide

2 Attachment(s)
Pearson 32 with Kenyon aluminum boom has aft-most sail slug of bronze.
It will not move or come off. I had to cut the canvas strap to take off the mainsail and get it patched. Now trying to get that old slug off, I've tried:
  1. Rubber mallet
  2. Claw hammer
  3. hammer with screwdriver
  4. Liquid Wrench
  5. WD-40
  6. PB Blaster (type of penetrant)
  7. Heat gun
  8. Razor blade to ensure edges are free of gunk

Nothing has moved the slug. Today's effort with another sailor was 1,000 hammer taps of varying force from all 5 directions (cannot hammer from the bottom of the boom) after applying PB blaster and waiting for various time intervals.

Welcome suggestions from Those More Experienced, and Thanks!

WanderingStar 01-11-2013 10:17 PM

Re: Frozen Sail Slide

I like Kroil, but with any penetrating oil, time is your friend. Reapply and wait. Bronze, aluminum, and salt are a bad mix, good luck.

blutoyz 01-12-2013 09:08 AM

You are doing it right...keep soaking and tapping. I would get in there and pry the boom open a bit at the slider but that is me, I have been known to break crap by being impatient...LOL. A torch would do more than a heat gun but remember that it is aluminum.

Good Luck

jimrafford 01-12-2013 09:15 AM

You could also try a "come along" to the mast to leave it under tension while it's soaking. Be patient.
Jim

Minnewaska 01-12-2013 09:23 AM

Looking up thermal expansion coefficient suggests that aluminum will expand slightly more than bronze when heated. However, that might mean the aluminum expands into the bronze on the slide, while the bronze expands out to the aluminum and holds it more firmly. Admittedly, I would still try it.

Another thought is to get some get some mild acid in there to start eating away at the likely corrosion that is causing this problem. Maybe Lime Away or even straight vinegar. The trick is going to be keeping it on the part while it works. Vinegar will dissolve metal entirely, so it really could work, if you get it in there.

Edit: diluted vinegar would eat corrosion off dive parts in 15-30 mins. This may take longer, but I would get hours, not days.

jameswilson29 01-12-2013 11:39 AM

Hacksaw, drill, screwdriver, hammer...destroy and replace.

Silvio 01-12-2013 11:45 AM

I would be inclined to go the route suggested by jameswilson29, dremel tools are good at grinding in tight areas or even an high speed air grinder. I would try to take it out in pieces.

MarkSF 01-12-2013 12:02 PM

Hitting it with a claw hammer and screwdriver isn't using the best tools for the job. You need a lump hammer and cold chisel, these will have far more effect with greater control and safety. Also make sure you are using eye protection.

Seaduction 01-12-2013 12:10 PM

Soak with PB Blaster; use a 3-5 pound mash hammer and dull cold chisel. A couple good whacks should do it. Wear a pair of heavy leather gloves, at least one on the chisel hand if your aim goes awry.

zeehag 01-12-2013 01:52 PM

the tool is a coal chisel--not a cold chisel--oops did i say that out loud????