Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Ceramic Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You cant hone a serated knife and line molecules on the edge for a superior cut, When you cut yourself with a serated knife it never heals right either. You cant sharpen a serated knife effectively either. Serrated knives are for cutting bread.
Dave, My days of making competition cuts have passed. I've used my Forschners now Victorianox reliably since 1980 something...I can assure you that they cut anything that needs cutting. Next time you pass through, I'll do the slicing and dicing for dinner...I promise not to bleed..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I highly agree with dave. I dont think there is one perfect knife for all things, but here is what i carry on the boat:

Slicing large beef (roasts or prime ribs, etc): henckels twin 4 star 2. The knofe finely balanced (as are the shuns) and keeps a great edge.

Vegetable, utility, chef, pairing, and serated: Shuns. Anyone who has never used these knives will fail to appreciate some of the finest knives in the world. These knives are literally razor blade sharp out of the box. No kidding. They are perfectly balanced and very light whoch comes in great when you have a lot to do. If i had to pick one knife, Shun all the way. I tries all of them many tomes over. Ask dave and chef, they know. Corse, At close to a grand for a small set, they better be darn good.

For cuttig through chicken with bones, i often use my Wusthof. I have a full set but only use a couple regularly so the rest went into storage.

For chopping things like chopped brisket, i prefer a heavy knife. I actually came to like my Gunter Wilhelm for thia use. I do not care for any of their other knives. Too heavy and not balances good enough.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 01-12-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I highly agree with dave. I dont think there is one perfect knife for all things, but here is what i carry on the boat:

Slicing large beef (roasts or prime ribs, etc): henckels twin 4 star 2. The knofe finely balanced (as are the shuns) and keeps a great edge.

Vegetable, utility, chef, pairing, and serated: Shuns. Anyone who has never used these knives will fail to appreciate some of the finest knives in the world. These knives are literally razor blade sharp out of the box. No kidding. They are perfectly balanced and very light whoch comes in great when you have a lot to do. If i had to pick one knife, Shun all the way. I tries all of them many tomes over. Ask dave and chef, they know. Corse, At close to a grand for a small set, they better be darn good.

For cuttig through chicken with bones, i often use my Wusthof. I have a full set but only use a couple regularly so the rest went into storage.

For chopping things like chopped brisket, i prefer a heavy knife. I actually came to like my Gunter Wilhelm for thia use. I do not care for any of their other knives. Too heavy and not balances good enough.
Prime rib on the boat, I know where I want to eat!!!

I am actually looking to get a Shun paring knife or possibly a Global. I have lots of Henkels, and have never really felt they get all that sharp and don't hold an edge all that long. I do like Wusthoff, and have a Gunter Wihelm that I got at a Beer tasting event that I love the weight of and it gets very sharp and holds it's edge for a long time. What a concept, all you can drink beer festival and there is a guy with a bunch of knives out and vegies for you to chop up. wonder someone did not loose a hand! I must admit it was more of an impulse buy, but I really like it. I also have a bunch of old Sabatier that I like. I am in the process of narrowing down the knives and have it down to about 5, but really want to get a good paring knife.
Old 01-12-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I beg to differ, but what do you consider better then? Is this a personal opinion or a professional one?

Dave
I think the high end consumer stuff like shun are fine, and I own a few. But for a little more (like 10%) I would go to a Carter hand made. The carter sutuko I have was right at $200 but is easily the best knife I have ever owned. Compared to the same size shun that is nice, but at $175 isn't anything exceptional. Still head and shoulders above really cheap stuff though.

If you want to go on the less expensive side then I like Global a lot more than the stamped wustoff for about the same price.
Old 01-12-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Dave, My days of making competition cuts have passed. I've used my Forschners now Victorianox reliably since 1980 something...I can assure you that they cut anything that needs cutting. Next time you pass through, I'll do the slicing and dicing for dinner...I promise not to bleed..
Hey Ill be glad just to share a glass of wine with you. Cannt beleive we were morred together last year at Atantic Highlands.

We are headed back up after the 15th of August to the LI Sound , lets make it a sure get together this year,

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-12-2013

My Henkels four star was my knife for years. I also had a Wustoff I used. I always like their balance and their weight made them great all round knives. I was really happy when I was starting out as a sous chef 38 years ago to get knives of that quality as I was tres poor.

When I retired my toque and started wearing a suit is when I got turned on to the Shuns. They really are razor sharp and hold their edge. I was given many of them as gifts. They are marvelous.

We dont own a food processor...my wife calls me the food processor.

Really is the hand behind the knife that counts and the technique of honing all the time.

Dave
deltaten likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-13-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I like good quality sharp knives, dull blades are dangerous - here's one of my happy hour activities aboard:

Old 01-13-2013

How do you like the Global knives, Excellent quality, buit I always wondered about the handle in terms of repetitive use and comfort.

I have this Norton 3 stone system. Oil tight and an easy store for onboard use.
Norton 3 Stone IM200S Soft Arkansas System

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 01-13-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I like the Global knives, the balance is very nice but I'm surprised how soft the steel is; it sharpens and hones very well and the edge remains keen, but I'd expected a much harder steel. I don't cook for a lot of people, so the knives see frequent but not heavy use and I always use a steel before use. I'm happy with them, but think that I paid partially for marketing and next time around I might go back to good Solingen steel.

I've never used natural stone for sharpening and the only oil system I used was the Lansky sharpening system (with ceramic stones). Are you happy with your stones? How high to they go? I use a straight edge and finishing those off requires a good 12K or higher plus a leather strop with diamond paste.

Old 01-13-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Wow! you guys,what's wrong with Chicago with rosewood handles? I can still afford to buy a steak to use it on! I'm starting to wonder what your doing on a boat!...Dale
Where God got it done!