Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Ceramic Knife

I picked up a few of these a couple days ago.
Ceramic Paring Knife - Save on this 3" Ceramic Paring Knife

I've been doing crafty things with amsteel blue the last few days.
Making soft shackles
Rope ring
Woopie Sling

And generally just fooling around with it to see what it can be used for.
In the videos I noticed the guys often use a ceramic knife to cut it.

I just found out that Harbor Freight had a store near buy so I figured I would check it out.
I bought a few 3" and one 6" for the kitchen.
They are really amazing for the line. They don't seem sharp to the thumb but really slice line and pork tenderloin amazingly well.

Didn't seem to be any advantage to cutting a spaghetti squash however.

It looks like use of this knife will ruin my plastic cutting board very quickly though.

I wonder if it will pass through airport security?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Ceramic Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
....I wonder if it will pass through airport security?
Not sure if it would be identified by metal detectors. Assume not.

While, I find most of the restrictions to be useless, I would not want to be the guy who sneaked a knife aboard and it ended up in the wrong hands. Admittedly small odds, but you would be rightfully lynched.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-12-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

For the kitchen....they can chip. Buy Wustaff or Shun.
Cruisingdad likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-12-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Airport security: Shhh! Don't tell anyone, any paleolithic cutting tool will pass airport security. And if you get caught, you get free room and board and medical care for an easy five years. Or maybe, not such an easy five years.

In the kitchen, I've used a ceramic (one paring, one chef's) knife for about a year now, two different brand names. They do seem to stay sharp but not quite as sharp as a fine edge on a good metal blade. No problem with the cutting boards (delrin or similar) holding up. I picked up the first one because it was on sale while I was looking for a particular size/profile that somehow I'd never gotten, for vegetable dicing mainly.
Old 01-12-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

My Favorite knive is the 10 inch version of this serrated knife. I've owned two of them for over 20 years. They get extensive use. They've never lost their edge.

Victorinox Forschner Rosewood Serrated Chef's Knife, 10-inch | cutleryandmore.com

They make a paring knife with a serrated edge too. Many of the higher end knives don't fit my hand as comfortably as the rosewood handles.

Victorinox (formerly Forschner) Rosewood 3.25" Serrated Paring Knife at Swiss Knife Shop

On the boat I keep a set of Kershaw interchangable blades similar to this one. they store nicely in a drawer.

Kershaw Deluxe Blade Trader Knife at The Kershaw Store

I've looked at the ceramic knifes, but haven't felt the need to experiment..
Old 01-12-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

For working with dyneema ceramics are the only thing that seem to least more than one or two cuts before you have to resharpen them.

For cooking I have two ceramic knifes, and they are amazing. But I don't like them as much as steel. The weight is just wrong, and because the blades are prone to chipping I find I am afraid to use them (even though I have never actually chipped one.

Personally I am not a fan of the shun/wustoff brands. They are really expensive for the quality, and while I consider them Ok knives, there are much better ones out there for less.

As for using serrated knives... Unless you are cutting bread they are terrible at everything. Just sharpen your knives regularly.
jrd22, davidpm and Atlas like this.
Old 01-12-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post

As for using serrated knives... Unless you are cutting bread they are terrible at everything.
Since I'm the one who mentioned serrated knives, I'm going to clearly disagree with this statement. But, I'm not offended. I'm pretty confident in my knives and my ability to use them to cut more than bread..

Last edited by Tempest; 01-12-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I have a few cheap ceramics, and they work great for utility/crafts, I also have a Kyocera that is scarey sharp. I don't think the cheap ones are nearly as sharp, or durable but they are good for rope and other tough to cut things. I prefer a good steel knife in the kitchen as I am scared of breaking the ceramics and never really feel comfortable with them. I will say the ceramics do seem particularly good at some cutting and not as good at others. Where ceramics are not good, they seem really bad as in the spaghetti squash mentioned above, for that I want a big heavy chefs knife.
davidpm likes this.
Old 01-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
My Favorite knive is the 10 inch version of this serrated knife. I've owned two of them for over 20 years. They get extensive use. They've never lost their edge.

Victorinox Forschner Rosewood Serrated Chef's Knife, 10-inch | cutleryandmore.com

They make a paring knife with a serrated edge too. Many of the higher end knives don't fit my hand as comfortably as the rosewood handles.

Victorinox (formerly Forschner) Rosewood 3.25" Serrated Paring Knife at Swiss Knife Shop

On the boat I keep a set of Kershaw interchangable blades similar to this one. they store nicely in a drawer.

Kershaw Deluxe Blade Trader Knife at The Kershaw Store

I've looked at the ceramic knifes, but haven't felt the need to experiment..
You cant hone a serated knife and line molecules on the edge for a superior cut, When you cut yourself with a serated knife it never heals right either. You cant sharpen a serated knife effectively either. Serrated knives are for cutting bread.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Personally I am not a fan of the shun/wustoff brands. They are really expensive for the quality, and while I consider them Ok knives, there are much better ones out there for less.
I beg to differ, but what do you consider better then? Is this a personal opinion or a professional one?

Dave
Cruisingdad likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.