Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Life Lines? West marine and crimp?

dyneema? is that rope? How well does it work? Can I use it while racing?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

It is a very high strength rope. It works great, and is approved for racing (ISAF CAT 0 compliant). Instead of fittings you use eye splices and lashings, and is both safer and more comfortable than wire.
Old 01-15-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Can I get the rope at like wal-mart?'
Old 01-15-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

No, but West Marine carries it. As do a lot f places online.
Old 01-15-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
It is a very high strength rope. It works great, and is approved for racing (ISAF CAT 0 compliant). Instead of fittings you use eye splices and lashings, and is both safer and more comfortable than wire.
I was wondering if you could explain the nature of this menace that wire creates. It's just that the same wire has been installed on my boat for 30 years, and has been keeping people safe for all that time.
Old 01-15-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I'll second Knothead. He did ours and the price was extremely reasonable and top quality.
I sent him the old ones in a flat rate postal box and a week later I had the new ones. They fit perfectly.
And I'll third Knothead. He does very nice work and easy to deal with. Certainly worth checking at the least.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 01-15-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I was wondering if you could explain the nature of this menace that wire creates. It's just that the same wire has been installed on my boat for 30 years, and has been keeping people safe for all that time.
Well if you have the vinyl coated it could be very dangerous (especially if it is 30 years old), as you often cannot see the corrosion till they are too weak to break a fall. Also the vinyl holds moisture against the SS in an oxygen poor environment a double whammy. This is why you cannot use vinyl coated in most offshore racing classes anymore. The advantage of Dyneema is that size for size it is twice the strength as steel. So even if you cut through half of the thickness it is still as strong. another advantage is that it is softer to to the touch than either vinyl or uncoated wire so is better if you race and have people hanging over the rail and finally it is DIY friendly so not only can you install it yourself you can repair it yourself with supplies you can easily carry on on board. So if a line does get cut in the middle of no where you can fix it on the spot. It is also much lighter weight, though for most people this is not a big deal.

It is not all positives though, it is recommended to replace about every 8 years due to UV but again it will only be a few hundred to replace rope as fittings can be reused, and if you just use lashings (replaced annually) there are no fittings.
Old 01-15-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I agree with all those points but I have brand new, uncoated, s/s wire. How would dyneema be SAFER?
Old 01-15-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I agree with all those points but I have brand new, uncoated, s/s wire. How would dyneema be SAFER?
well I don't think you need to swap out the new, wire only that it is a more cost effective, and for some uses better option. It is always good to have options.
Old 01-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

This is one of those projects you can do yourself and save as well as have adjustments. I do this myself. If you intend on keeping boats for 20 years or being in them I would learn to do this.

Dennema- lasts 5-7 years, affected by UV and sharp objects. Coated and uncoated lines 7X7 3?16. Coated - no meathooks to shred a jib or someones hands. Uncoated. now ater bertween casuing and wire. Wire can be easily tightened by using the proper fittings

I use coated. I boaugt a cheap swage tool at Home Depot which does the same job as a 250 dollar one from Grainger
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=wire%20swage%20tool&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All...$20

7X7 coated wire...shop on line and go to west marine they should match other wise buy online. You need ap[prox 150 ft at the most = $150
Search Results for*wire swage tool*at The Home Depot

Fittings are the big expense- I use Johnson HAND swage

Draw a diagram.
I used the following

From the bow to wire to the first gate stanchion ( I have gates on both sidesTubular Turnbuckle
Jaw to Hand Crimp Terminal - Check Nut Locking This barrel turnbuckle allows for tensioning when the wire stretches over time

Other side of wire on the other side of stanchion where the gate is
LIFE LINE FITTINGS | Regular Duty / Hand Crimp
# Not a true 1/8” terminal (3/16” terminal with sleeve).
Swivel, Interlocking Gate Eye
An interlocking gate eye is used at the opposite end of
the gate hook as a “hinge” for the gate.

Wire from interlocking gate fitting to close gate finished with ( you can buy more expensive)
Tubular Gate Hook- T316
Inexpensive, slender tubular design with a stamped hook.
43⁄4” long from end of body to inside bearing point of hook.

Aft gate stanchion then has a single eye the gate hook attaches to- the gate eyes fitting goes theough the stanchion holes or eyes.
Swivel, Single Gate Eye
A single eye is used on one end of the gate area to attach the gate

Final fitting attached to aft tube sturcture is again an adjustable barrel as in the first one
Tubular Turnbuckle
Jaw to Hand Crimp Terminal - Check Nut Locking
Our most popular life line turnbuckle. Check nut locking. T-316 stainless.

You can figure out the rear ladder gate now.

Here are the pictures and discriptions of the fittings
Johnson Marine Product Detail

Again look on line and get the best price and take to west marine they will match them and carry the JOhnson hand swage fittings''

404 Not Found 4X $25=$100
Johnson Hand-Crimp Tubular Gate Hook - Stainless Steel - Hand-Crimp Lifeline Fittings - Lifeline Hardware - Rigging, Spar & Lifeline Hdwr - Downwind Marine 2 gates = 2X$28 = $56
Johnson Hand-Crimp Lifeline Gate Eye - Threaded - Single - Hand-Crimp Lifeline Fittings - Lifeline Hardware - Rigging, Spar & Lifeline Hdwr - Downwind Marine 2 gates - 2X$21=$42
Johnson Hand-Crimp Lifeline Gate Eyes - Threaded - Interlocking - Hand-Crimp Lifeline Fittings - Lifeline Hardware - Rigging, Spar & Lifeline Hdwr - Downwind Marine 2X$39= $59

Stern Gate
Johnson Hand-Crimp Lifeline Toggle Jaw - T Style - Hand-Crimp Lifeline Fittings - Lifeline Hardware - Rigging, Spar & Lifeline Hdwr - Downwind Marine $17
Johnson Hand-Crimp Tubular Gate Hook - Stainless Steel - Hand-Crimp Lifeline Fittings - Lifeline Hardware - Rigging, Spar & Lifeline Hdwr - Downwind Marine $28

Total price in Fittings with two gates = $302 One gate=$250
Total price 2 gates = $250 +$20+$150 = $420

It will take you about 6 hours to do and you have nice ADJUSTABLE first class lifelines and you have a skill, which when you cruise is invaluable as you will want to take some lifeline with you. BTW do not use this tool to swage any standing rigging. They should be machine done

Feel free to PM or contact me for more info

Dave
jimrafford likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner