Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Life Lines? West marine and crimp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
It is a very high strength rope. It works great, and is approved for racing (ISAF CAT 0 compliant). Instead of fittings you use eye splices and lashings, and is both safer and more comfortable than wire.
How is it safer. As safe maybe but not safer. It has a degradation time half that of wire also as i is UV suseptable

Long-term Test Evaluates Synthetic Lifelines - Practical Sailor Article

Synthetic Lifelines VS. Stainless Steel Life Lines | The Rigging Company

The price of the Dyneema dux is really no cheaper than the wire as I can determine. You need to use at least 5mm but 7mm would be better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Well
HTML Code:
if you have the vinyl coated it could be very dangerous (especially if it is 30 years old)
, This is why you cannot use vinyl coated in most offshore racing classes anymore. .
Here are a few shots after 3 hours of cleaning one wire of the vinyl. The wire under looks not too bad? I am comitted now one way or a nother I have to do somthing. I will shave the 2nd ont tomorow and see what it looks like.
I have a question? If after inspection I see no or verry little rust can I cut one end off opposite the pelican hooks andf add a turnbuckle so i can adjust it tighter?
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Photobucket
Old 01-15-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I agree with all those points but I have brand new, uncoated, s/s wire. How would dyneema be SAFER?
The weak point in lifelines is almost always the end fittings. Even the high end stainless stuff is usually not rated past 1200lbs or so, which is a fraction of the MLB of the wire itself.

Since I make dyneema lifelines without the fittings the weak point in the system is removed, thus making them safer.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 01-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Stumble is 100% correct as thats where water will collect so you cant see the weak points and there even looks like a tinge of rust near them on the wire.

If they are over 10 years old ( And they look like the OE on my C&C when I bought it 15 years ago)....change them for safeties sake.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-16-2013

tap is on a distinguished road

Is that a crack in the end of the swage fitting in the second picture?

My experience is like others have said. They rust inside the swage fitting and look fine until one day they break right where the wire leaves the swage.

BTW, coated wire lifelines aren't allowed for racing anymore.
Old 01-16-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Chef2sail,

I just got a chance to read the articles you posted. While I generally agree with the one from PS, the article from the Rigging Company is a little prejudice in my opinion. It may be because they have a vested intered in wire lifelines, but typical installed cost for dyneema lifelines are generally much less than for wire.

Generally, though not always, dyneema lifelines are installed with no hardware, or at most one gate at either end. When designed this way a dyneema lifeline system will run about $120 for a 30' boat. With each gate adding about $150. This is because the cost of the fittings far exceed the rest of the cost of materials.

My typical lifeline instal is nothing more than an eye splice on one end that is ring hitched to the front bowsprit, and an eye splice with a sailmakers thimble at the other end. I do tend to oversize the line just because I think it is more comfortable, so my worksheet looks like:

1) leingth of lifeline plus 3' (extra for splicing) * $1.25 (cost of the line)
2) plus $6.00 (cost of the thimble)
3) plus 5' * $.40 (cost of lashing line)

I should point out that I do not install these professionally and don't work as a rigger. I have just swapped over a number of friends boats, and my own to dyneema.
Old 01-16-2013
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Chef2sail,

My typical lifeline instal is nothing more than an eye splice on one end that is ring hitched to the front bowsprit, and an eye splice with a sail-makers thimble at the other end. I have just swapped over a number of friends boats, and my own to dyneema.
I would love to see the push pulpit connection? there is a welded ring on mine. Do you loop it and splice it there ? or add something. How do you connect the thimble to the welded ring on the pulpet?
Sorry i'm new at this

Last edited by ltgoshen; 01-16-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-16-2013
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap View Post
Is that a crack in the end of the sewage fitting in the second picture?

My experience is like others have said. They rust inside the sewage fitting and look fine until one day they break right where the wire leaves the sewage.

BTW, coated wire lifelines aren't allowed for racing anymore.
When I'm done there will be no coating left.

There is no cracks in the fittings at all . This stuff is 3/16 & X 19 SS wire. If it looks good with no cracks can it not be reused? It sounds like the conciseness is to throw it out whither its good or not? The ends will be cut off for the installation of turn buckles and a complete inspection of the wire at the fitting can be done.
Ya'll have almost convinced me to toss them out and use rope.
Chef2sail, your write up below makes me think I can do it and do all 4 life lines for under 200. I'm just not clear on the turn buckles to use and how to connect the thimble to the bow and stern pulpit. they both have welded rings that would be a chaffing issue for rope.
Old 01-16-2013
First String

I may have answered my own question
I found it on Johnsons website. the Toggle Jaw with Eye to the Bow pulpet.
[Johnson Lifeline Toggle Jaw with Eye - Fittings for Dyneema Lifelines - Lifeline Hardware - Rigging, Spar & Lifeline Hdwr - Downwind Marine

Then, I would use the Pelican Gate Hook with Eye on the stern pulpet.
Johnson "Over Center" Pelican Gate Hook with Eye - Fittings for Dyneema Lifelines - Lifeline Hardware - Rigging, Spar & Lifeline Hdwr - Downwind Marine

Where would I add the turn Buckel?
Johnson Tubular Lifeline Turnbuckle with Eye - Fittings for Dyneema Lifelines - Lifeline Hardware - Rigging, Spar & Lifeline Hdwr - Downwind Marine

Or would I use the Turnbuckle instead of the Toggle Jaw with Eye?
Old 01-16-2013

tap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
When I'm done there will be no coating left.
There is no cracks in the fittings at all . This stuff is 3/16 & X 19 SS wire. If it looks good with no cracks can it not be reused? It sounds like the conciseness is to throw it out whither its good or not? The ends will be cut off for the installation of turn buckles and a complete inspection of the wire at the fitting can be done.
If you are going to cut the ends off and get new fittings, the wire in the middle is probably fine if you don't see any rust.

But the synthetic stuff is more comfortable than the wire. 3/16" amsteel blue is $0.55 a foot at lfsmarine. You don't need to use turnbuckles with the dyneema line. Splice the line directly to the bow pulpit and then tension it at the stern pulpit with a lashing.