Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Toe rail cap

I've seen boats with a nice brass or stainless cap on their toe rail beneath the life gate. It's a great idea. We removed the varnish from the toe rail last season and liked the look, not to mention the reduced maintenance.

However, the toe rail is stepped on and is getting dirty and even minorly worn. I can't think of a practical way of having a custom stainless cap made.

Any ideas of a method to protect it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Toe rail cap

Have you seen this stuff?? Used as chafe guards on coamings and cabinsides etc.

Wear and Tear Pads | Self Adhesive Stainless Steel | Fiberglass Protection..

I've also seen clear non-skid self adhesive tapes too.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Have you seen this stuff?? Used as chafe guards on coamings and cabinsides etc.

Wear and Tear Pads | Self Adhesive Stainless Steel | Fiberglass Protection..

I've also seen clear non-skid self adhesive tapes too.
Cool stuff. If it came in larger pieces, it may have been the trick. The life gate opening must be two feet wide and I would like to cover as much of it as possible. Even 14"-18" would probably do the trick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-13-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

I've done a couple boats ( step/wear pads ) where I use fineline tape, system 3 clear epoxy and fine silica sand.

Looks pretty dang good with and without a varnished caprail

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 01-15-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've seen boats with a nice brass or stainless cap on their toe rail beneath the life gate. It's a great idea. We removed the varnish from the toe rail last season and liked the look, not to mention the reduced maintenance.

However, the toe rail is stepped on and is getting dirty and even minorly worn. I can't think of a practical way of having a custom stainless cap made.

Any ideas of a method to protect it?
The brass stuff you've seen on older () boats is usually just flat-bar cut to length with the sharp edges filed off and a screw each end to hold it on. It's sold in hardware stores for stair-tread protection and comes in standard lengths you cut down with a hacksaw.

I'm sure you could do the same with stainless, but highly-polished stainless would show scratches more readily - from people stepping on it from the dock with bits of gravel in the soles of their shoes..

If you've bare timber, go with the brass. Unless polished up, it'll go green eventually but will protect your toe rail forever. ..it's also good for dock-line chafe protection:

(with apologies for the crummy photo - taken for other reasons)
SloopJonB likes this.

Last edited by Classic30; 01-15-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Cool stuff. If it came in larger pieces, it may have been the trick. The life gate opening must be two feet wide and I would like to cover as much of it as possible. Even 14"-18" would probably do the trick.
Worth a call to the manufacturer to see if they'll custom cut??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-15-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

There is, in my opinion, only one way to do it -
Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
The brass stuff you've seen on older () boats is usually just flat-bar cut to length with the sharp edges filed off and a screw each end to hold it on......
Thanks for the pic. Unfortunately, the toe rail is convex, so the tread needs to be curved along its length.

I also have chafe protection, but they are only about a half inch wide and a foot long and sit atop the toe rail's highest point. I've thought about putting a few of them parallel to each other, where the foot tread needs to be, but think it may look bad.

The idea of a tread came to me because a friends has a Taswell will a gorgeous brass thread at the lifegate, but its OEM.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Good idea. I sent them a note to find out. Looks like they are in England.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Sent an email this morning and they replied as soon as I assume they arrive in the office in UK. I'm always very impressed by that kind of responsiveness to a potential client. Highly recommend dealing with this company for that reason.

However, while they could custom cut, their applique won't adhere to teak, it requires gelcoat.

Still searching for a solution.

Jeanneau 54DS