Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-15-2013

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Re: winterizing cost

That seems high. I paid $430 for winterizing engine and fresh water system. Included in that price was $190 of supplies the most expensive item being 12 gallons of antifreeze totaling $82. Labor was 3 hrs @ $80/hr. This includes changing oil and all new filters.
Pearson P-35 #481

Last edited by CalypsoP35; 01-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Its really funny to call rip off with NO FACTS

Its is not at all clear to me the scope of the work done OR the amount of the boat that had to be taken APART to do it while working around fine wood finishes that i am sure you expect to be repaired should anything be scuffed

I havea 43 year old boat and it still takes a good bit of caution to NOT knick anything while doing my DIY winterize

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-15-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Its really funny to call rip off with NO FACTS....
... I have a 43 year old boat and it still takes a good bit of caution to NOT nick anything while doing my DIY winterize
Water tank to drain and then pump dry. Holding tank to pump? 2 heads, fresh water system, hot water heater to bypass, AC system, engine plus some plumbing. 5-8 hoses were removed and replaced since there were no valves, 10 gallons of PG at least (vendor has no reason to skimp). At $80/hour, yup, adds up.

I can do mine in less than and hour, but that is because I know the drill, installed valves, the boat has excellent access,and I have a simpler boat. From what I can guess all of the posters have smaller boats. I can see $800 at yard rates.

It's the 2nd head that did it

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Last edited by pdqaltair; 01-15-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2013

Haffro is on a distinguished road

I just got the bill for mine, $254. I will for sure do this myself next year. As for the $501 for shrink wrap and a door, I think indoor storage is in order for next year also. Maybe even a canvas cover if I can talk the wife into it!
Pearson Vanguard, 1967 #324
Penobscot Bay, Maine

24 hours, maybe 60 good years, it's really not that long a stay
Old 02-14-2013
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I'll chime in that it sounds like typical yard rates to me.

For the sake of comparison, here are the rates that my yard, in RI, charges;
Quote:
Prop Boat / Block Boat.............................................. .................................................. .............3.50 / ft.-$4.50 / ft.
Sailboats w / mast(s) stepped require additional propping & seasonal care 35' and over .......................$300.00
Shrink Wrap (Doors & Bridges extra) (materials included) Recycling Mandatory......................................... .......................see chart
MECHANICAL WINTERIZATION: All boats winterized by Yard must have batteries on board.
Engines: 4 Cylinders or less .................................................. .................................................. ................................$150.00
6 Cylinders .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..$160.00
8 Cylinders .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..$160.00
Winterize large diesels .................................................. .................................................. ....................................... T & M
Winterize EFI systems .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................$95.00
Auxiliary generator .................................................. .................................................. .............................................$155. 00
Oil analysis (recommended)..................................... .................................................. .........................................$95.00
Head .................................................. .................................................. .................................................$ 95.00
Refrigeration..................................... .................................................. ............................................ T & M
Air Conditioning .................................................. .................................................. ............................................... T & M
Fuel Boat (Note: 95% NFPA) .................................................. .................................................. ......................$95.00
Water system .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................T & M
Pump out holding tanks .................................................. .................................................. ...............................................$95 .00
Change oil and filter (per engine) .................................................. .................................................. ..................$142.50
Change oil and filter (lg. diesels) .................................................. .................................................. ......................... T & M
Remove / Store & Charge Batteries / No. of batteries ______ .................................................. .......................................$47.50 ea.
Remove electronics & store .................................................. .................................................. ........................................ T & M
Store & winterize outboard: same as engines above
3 - 10 H.P. .................................................. .................................................. .......................................$100.00
11 - 49 H.P. .................................................. .................................................. ....................................... $110.00
50 - up H.P. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................T & M
Remove & store outdrive .................................................. .................................................. .........................................$300.00
Clean, scrape & paint outdrive (each) .................................................. .................................................. .............................$300.00
Change water pump impeller, pressure test seals & change oil (Outdrives Only) (Materials included) ...............................$300.00
Unstep mast (under 45’ LOA) $7 / ft. Unstep 45’ LOA & over .................................................. ............................... T & M
Remove Hydraulic backstays (Mandatory on all rigs stored by yard.) .................................................. ................................. T & M
Store mast outside .................................................. .................................................. ............................................$4.00 / ft.
Store mast outside (unstepped by owner.) Mast must be marked with owner’s name ................................$6.00 / ft.
Remove sails............................................. .................................................. ............................................. T & M
I am not justifying any of this, but only providing an example. I would happily do any of the work for ˝ of what they charge. I also do all of my own winterization.

I WISH that I could pay $501 to shrink wrap my 35 footer. It costs me closer to $950 to have them do it.