Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-15-2013
jz5w63

jz5w63 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down My experience buying from Baron USA

Hey, just wanted to tip you guys off to be careful buying online or direct from Baron USA. Best to stick with Sail Net.

I just received a full refund from Pay Pal/Ebay for an incorrect shipment from Baron USA who sells direct and via Ebay. They sent me an 8 ft. powerboat antenna instead of the small 3 ft. stainless whip Shakespeare sailboat antenna I had ordered. Baron never responded to phone calls, emails from either myself or Pay Pal/Ebay. So, I have a refund but it was for the antenna + shipping and still leaves me out to dry for the $38.85 for UPS brokerage and Canada taxes (I'm in Canada) that I had to pay as COD. I should have checked these guys out further as they do have several NEGATIVES which they typically handle the same way - no answer!

I just wanted you guys to be aware of them. They sell a ton of boat stuff through Ebay but you need to beware. If you can get it from someone else for a similar cost then avoid Baron USA or you may have my 3 weeks of frustration. I guess the other lesson in this is to not use UPS who does this every time by the book - USPS/Canada Post and FedEx usually do not charge this brokerage and tax though by the letter of the law they should. So, avoid UPS - too pricey!

Anyway, to the list of items I'm selling, please add one 8 ft. Shakespeare 5206C powerboat antenna which is usually about $70-$85 and for which I will sell for what I'm out $39 plus shipping (not UPS.....).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: My experience buying from Baron USA

Sorry to hear about your experience but thanks for sharing, I am sure it will save some of us some grief in the future.

Bill
Old 01-16-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

My favorite stores are Sailnet, Defender, and West Marine. Last week WM had the lowest price on the wind instrument I was looking for - unusual I know.
Old 01-16-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Oh, I forgot Jamestown Distributors.
Old 01-16-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I'm told that if you are a Canadian ordering goods from the US, you should INSIST that the merchant ship via USPS, because our post office and your office have an arrangement to deal with customs and there are NO BROKERAGE CHARGES if you use the post offices.

File under lessons learned.
Old 01-17-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

It used to be the ironclad rule that if you were Canadian purchasing online from the USA that you must insist on shipping by USPS. It only takes a couple of outrageous stings by UPS for brokerage to make you remember that lesson. However, a couple of times more recently I have had stuff come by UPS that was carried onder a new level of service, "world something-or-other," where the brokerage was not an add-on. It may be that only large vendors have access to this service.

Sorry to hear about your experience with this particular vendor, but it is a caveat emptor world. You get what you pay for in terms of service.

The other thing I might add - though I am as bad as the next guy - we have to support our local chandleries or they won't be there when we need them.
Old 01-17-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Ritchard, there are some new shipping "schemes" in the US where packages are shipped by UPS (and/or Fedex?) to a post office, dropped off in bulk, and then the USPS does the "last mile" delivery to the door. In theory this makes delivery cheaper since the first carrier is always taking large loads, while the USPS already has invested in delivery to every door every day.

I'm not sure who the players are or what their terms or, much less if they're doing the same thing to Canada and other points, but a call to UPS or Fedex should get the real options, including brokerage questions, answered for you.

The downside to the new options is that of course now there are two "shippers" who can lose each single package, and make it much harder to track.