Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: Opinions and thoughts on purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You would have some time in 70 degs, but not much at 50 degs. I would say a handheld vhf is probably good to 3 miles max and not strong at that. In your scenario, you're transmitting from precisely sea level.

Your plan to stay out of the water by using a good tether setup is good. Be sure they are positioned, so you wouldn't just hang over the side. You want them to prevent going over the side.

Then, think about what you need to stay alive, if you do. A life raft is highly desirable in cold water. A MOM 9 could save your life, but someone needs to still be aboard to deploy it. Seems like you are planning for the potential to be overboard while singlehanding?

Probably longer than you think at 50 degrees. The key is wearing a PFD. B/c your arms and legs WILL become useless very quickly. If you have no means of support you will drown. The old rule of thumb (50 year old man, 50 minutes in 50 degree water) is not accurate. You can survive much longer.

But I prefer the STAY ON THE BOAT method above all else!
Old 01-17-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

When you spend the day at Safety at Sea during the air sea rescue section the CG pilot training you is going to tell the PLB or whatever you have is ONLY going to get them in the general area

Then there fastest rescues happen with the AID of a DSC handheld because your just a tiny MOVING spec in a general location

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2013

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

I'd second Flybynight. Concentrate on staying on the boat.
You'll have plenty of use for a handheld VHF, though. And maybe spring for a good GPS, to use for navigating etc, rather than in an overboard situation.
When you go offshore, nobody's going to be around to save you, anyway.
You can make a good tether from Amsteel Blue if you have proper hardware and make the splice properly, and be able to afford a lot more of them, and have money left towards the latest Garman handheld GPS.
Also, don't forget jacklines. Amsteel blue is good for those to, though there are lots of opinions about them. Read what Brion Toss says about them on his website's BBS.
(I have no connection with Amsteel [except that it connects me to my boat])
John V.
Old 01-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Probably longer than you think at 50 degrees. The key is wearing a PFD. B/c your arms and legs WILL become useless very quickly. If you have no means of support you will drown. The old rule of thumb (50 year old man, 50 minutes in 50 degree water) is not accurate. You can survive much longer.

But I prefer the STAY ON THE BOAT method above all else!
Loss of mobility or consciousness would probably take an hour. Death closer to 2 or 3 hours, depending on stress level and physical condition. Ironically, this is one time you would be happy with some extra Floatation Assistance Tissue.

How long do you think it will take for someone to come find you and get you out of the water? That is probably much longer than one would think.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Yes. Your VHF is your first line of communication. But when your hand held is out of range but you still get a cell phone signal I think it might be worth it to make the call.

I will add from personal experience, the USCG will ask you, via VHF, if you have a cell phone and if so, what is your number. They may also prefer to communicate with you on your cell phone as it will free up VHF channels.

In the summer of 2011 I was involved in an emergency situation (my boat began taking on water) and did most of my communication over the cell phone while the USCG used VHF to communicate with it's own vessels and send out notifications to other mariners of my situation.

In the summer of 2008 I was involved in assisting a vessel in distress as the reporting vessel (power boat, at night, adrift, no VHF, no phone, taking on water, luckily I noticed their flares). After my initial contact via VHF the USCG preferred to communicate with me via my cell phone.
Rob,

You must have been within 3 miles of the coast. I have taken the trip up the Jersey coast numerous times and had no signal for sustained periods 5 miles offshore. Cell phone are not a reliable means here, For what its worth I would have a PLB as well as VHF and cell phone. The PLB is absolutely waterproof itself and doesnt depend on waterproof packaging.

Also Lost signal from Montauk to Block as well as Mystic to Block last year

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-18-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
On small craft I am not impressed by jack lines, as they allow for excesive stretch Jack lines make for tripers and tend to roll under foot . I have installed solid rings and use a double ended tethers instead. I know I can't fall over the side and still can move anywhere on deck............Dale
Although consider pdqaltair's summation:

Quote:
Interestingly though, all of the the tether breakage stories I have found were sailors hooked to a pad eye, not a jackline. That is because with no stretch, a sailor moving at 8-10 knots (not unrealistic in a knock down or wave strike) will generate forces over 5000 pounds, because tethers don't stretch. Either the hardware or the sailor breaks (sometimes both).
Old 01-19-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Use 4 anchor points in the cockpit, jacklines and lots of tethers.
Do you have pictures?
Let me see if I have this right.
Instead of your own tether that you clip and unclip to padeys, and jacklines as you move about the the boat you have multiple tethers already clipped to jacklines and padeyes and move from station to station by moving between tethers?

What if you have someone forward and he needs help?
I'm assuming the second person has to bring a tether with them as is typical in this case?

What is the advantage of this system to just have a two leg tether?
Old 01-19-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Do you have pictures?
Let me see if I have this right.
Instead of your own tether that you clip and unclip to padeys, and jacklines as you move about the the boat you have multiple tethers already clipped to jacklines and padeyes and move from station to station by moving between tethers?
Tethers are clipped to padeyes and jacklines

Quote:
What if you have someone forward and he needs help?
I'm assuming the second person has to bring a tether with them as is typical in this case?
I have two tethers on each jackline. If we need more forward we can fall back on the tethers that are not in use to move forward.

Quote:
What is the advantage of this system to just have a two leg tether?
The biggest advantage is switching sides through the cockpit. On some race boats that use individual tethers, I have to unhook to to get to the jackline on the other side. In the middle of a tack, I am uncomfortable doing that.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-19-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Rob,

You must have been within 3 miles of the coast. I have taken the trip up the Jersey coast numerous times and had no signal for sustained periods 5 miles offshore. Cell phone are not a reliable means here, For what its worth I would have a PLB as well as VHF and cell phone. The PLB is absolutely waterproof itself and doesnt depend on waterproof packaging.

Also Lost signal from Montauk to Block as well as Mystic to Block last year

Dave
I currently use ATT. Maximum range for GSM is about 20 miles, or line of site. CDMA has an even longer range, I think, but I'm no expert on any of this.

It's possible I lost signal off the Jersey coast, but wasn't paying attention to my phone.

I sail to Block Island from Mystic several times a summer and have not lost signal in years. Hell, a buddy and I are known for sailing over, having lunch and a beer and sailing back. My iphone plugged into my stereo, listening to Pandora radio all the way.

I used to get charged roaming (back when they charged for it) from my dock in Mystic as my phone would pick up towers on Long Island. I would have to call Verizon every month to dispute the charges. Some dipstick on the other end would argue with me every time say that I MUST have been in NY!

Montauk to Block I can't vouch for as I don't normally go that way but I can see how it could happen.

Anyway, many of us stay within cell phone range for a high percentage of our sailing time. Many of us also have a device that is a chart plotter, GPS, compass and phone that we have in our pocket much of the time. It's worth several hundred dollars and we spend as much of our time as possible just a few feet from water over 6 feet deep. My point is that you might as well invest in a water proof case.

And again, I'm not saying a cell phone is a replacement for a VHF. Just a happy addition to the family.

Last edited by RobGallagher; 01-19-2013 at 01:47 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.