Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013

agarcia is on a distinguished road
Opinions and thoughts on purchase

Hi
So I solo sail on the Great Lakes and would like to eventually progress my way upward towards costal/offshore down the road. (couple years down the road). Anyways today I bought my first pfd, Mustang HIT MD 3184 with harness, and handheld vhf radio, Standard Horizon HX300. The HX 300 I figure is small enough and light to attach it to me in case I go over or need to cut away. My thoughts are I can radio someone if I'm lucky enough to hail them in range. Also I was able to find a light handheld GPS for cheap and IPX7 to give my position. Is my logic faulty or any opinions on those products? I'm also looking at Spinlock tether with the dual attachment (short\long) that goes for about $160. Any problems with that tether or is there a better choice? Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Opinions and thoughts on purchase

I like the Spinlock tether. No pull cord that could be snagged and released. You must carry an s-cutter with one.

What is the water temp? How long will you last in the water waiting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-15-2013

agarcia is on a distinguished road
For Lake Michigan from May to October it's usually between 50 to 70 F. I usually sail during the week so boat traffic is lighter. This probably would increase the likelihood of more time spent in the water if I go overboard. So basically cold. I'm not sure what kind of range with a 5 watt handheld. Hard to tell then the probability of a pick up/time spent in the water.
Old 01-16-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Stay on the boat, your time in the water is for praying ! A good PFD saves the body for insurance proof! I would rethink your program.......Dale
kellysails and jackdale like this.
Where God got it done!
Old 01-16-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarcia View Post
Hi
So I solo sail on the Great Lakes and would like to eventually progress my way upward towards costal/offshore down the road. (couple years down the road). Anyways today I bought my first pfd, Mustang HIT MD 3184 with harness, and handheld vhf radio, Standard Horizon HX300. The HX 300 I figure is small enough and light to attach it to me in case I go over or need to cut away. My thoughts are I can radio someone if I'm lucky enough to hail them in range. Also I was able to find a light handheld GPS for cheap and IPX7 to give my position. Is my logic faulty or any opinions on those products? I'm also looking at Spinlock tether with the dual attachment (short\long) that goes for about $160. Any problems with that tether or is there a better choice? Thanks
Rather than the radio, I would have suggested a PLB. Triggering that would would issue a Mayday and provide your position. The Spinlock tether should be used with the Spinlock pfd. Get a quick release 3'/6' tether with Gibb, Wicahrd or similar clips.
chef2sail and msmith10 like this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I like the Spinlock tether. No pull cord that could be snagged and released. You must carry an s-cutter with one.
I have used quick release tethers for years and never had one release accidently.

I also switch tethers as I move around a boat. I place them in strategic positions: 2-4 in the cockpit, 2 on each jackline, 1 at the mast, one on the bow (ideally). I am never unhooked.

I have been on race boats where they clip and unclip as they move around; I like to stay attached.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 01-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have used quick release tethers for years and never had one release accidently.........
We both know this is highly a matter of personal preference and like debating anchors. For those, like me, that prefer a tether without the quick release, its seems like a heightened point of failure, not a sure one.

Opening the Spinlock catch simply requires opposing movement, so it would be near impossible to happen accidentally. Doing so yourself, to move about, isn't so hard. IMHO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarcia View Post
For Lake Michigan from May to October it's usually between 50 to 70 F. I usually sail during the week so boat traffic is lighter. This probably would increase the likelihood of more time spent in the water if I go overboard. So basically cold. I'm not sure what kind of range with a 5 watt handheld. Hard to tell then the probability of a pick up/time spent in the water.
You would have some time in 70 degs, but not much at 50 degs. I would say a handheld vhf is probably good to 3 miles max and not strong at that. In your scenario, you're transmitting from precisely sea level.

Your plan to stay out of the water by using a good tether setup is good. Be sure they are positioned, so you wouldn't just hang over the side. You want them to prevent going over the side.

Then, think about what you need to stay alive, if you do. A life raft is highly desirable in cold water. A MOM 9 could save your life, but someone needs to still be aboard to deploy it. Seems like you are planning for the potential to be overboard while singlehanding?

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 01-16-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

May I respectfully submit that you refocus your priorities to:
Stay in the boat.
Do not fall overboard.
Make sure it is physically impossible for you to fall off the boat.
Assume that if you fall over board no one will come to your rescue.
Assume that if you go over board you are definitely going to die.
Please accept this in the supportive spirit in which it is offered.
Dick
Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
Stay in the boat.
Rule #1

In 30 years I have never a crew overboard.