Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Clean bottom how much?

Hey,

Here on the north shore of Long Island (Mt. Sinai) it costs about $100 to get a 35' fin keel boat scrubbed. I clean mine myself (mask and snorkel) every month in the summer. I keep the paint in good condition so it's not too difficult to clean.

The boat I race on gets the bottom cleaned every other week.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We pay $100 in March then $25 a month for the next 7 months. have Ultima 60 paint which has worked great. Used to use Micron Extra which worked well also. I am on the Chessie

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-17-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Here in western LI Sound bottom is cleaned approx. every 3 weeks
@ $60. for 30fter.
My previous bottom cleaner would charge less per foot for
a cleaning every 2 weeks than he would if he were cleaning once a month.
Old 01-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

$2 to $3 per foot is going rate. Be wary of cheap vendors that could really ruin your bottom paint. Also be wary that it could be you that is ruining your friends bottom paint, if you're not familiar with the right techniques. They won't know till they haul, but the few bucks wouldn't be worth it.
Fstbttms likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-17-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Remember the "Good ol Days"? TBT! I still have a couple of quarts around someplace. It sure kept things from growing on the hull, and in the harbor! Yikes! Then there was "The Bag". You parked your boat at its slip in a big plastic bag with a floating rim. The floats got pushed down with a boat hook as you entered or left. While the boat was parked you dumped a gallon of Clorox into the bag inside the floats and nothing alive inside the plastic barrier survived. Ah Lake Pontchartrain in the 60s. That body of water grows stuff!

Keeping the hull clean is a day's work even if you just have to wait for someone else to get it done. I am hoping to have a breasting pier set up ready for next season. With 10' of tide I would like to be able to stand and clean it without my scuba gear. Our harbor is a high growth spot and I can watch the rpms drop as the weeks go by.

Down
Old 01-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I apply one fresh top coat every season. It keeps growth down and I can easily get away with a hull cleaning every 2 to 3 months, sometimes 4. Granted, we are in a relatively lower growth region than southern climates. I went one full season from April 1 to Oct 31 with zero cleaning on a fresh paint job. It was slimy, but zero hard growth (other than the prop and shaft and it did kill one knot of boat speed by the end of the season). Long story why this happened, it wasn't planned.

If you're not racing, I don't think a little slime makes much practical difference. A full season's worth does. Otherwise, poor sail trim and blown sails are much more detrimental to speed than a couple of months worth of growth. FastBottoms, who posts here, has made a good argument that infrequent cleanings require more abrasive tools, which can reduce the lifespan of your paint. I'm sure that is true, unless you top coat every year anyway.

My biggest gripe with slime? It looks terrible when you're heeled over and blowing past another boat.
Fstbttms likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-17-2013

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road

Gee, it never occurred to me that there might be a right and a wrong way to clean the bottom. As with Minne I'm also in the Northeast, and bottom growth is not usually a significant problem. I use an ablative (Micron CSC) and a couple times during the summer I'll take bristled brush at the end of a telescoping handle typically used for cleaning decks and brush the slime off the hull. Usually the only place that needs to be cleaned is near the water line. In 11 years there was only one year that I had some barnicle growth on the bottom. (The prop is another story. Lots of barnicles there.)

The boat gets sailed at least two days a week and sits on a mooring.

So I guess what should I be using to clean the bottom? And what is the proper technique. Or are you guys getting me to overthink this?
Pearson P-35 #481
Old 01-17-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

I clean the bottom before every race. Once a week or once every two weeks, whenever racing is. It's a 25 footer, so no real need to pay someone else 75-100 to clean it. I did that once, and they did a horrible job. My next $100 went to a wetsuit and flippers.
I've never been happier knowing it's done right.

Edit: boat gets new paint every season. Solomons MD.
Old 01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoP35 View Post
...And what is the proper technique...
You want to use the softest media that will remove the growth. A piece of old carpet works low growth. The least abrasive scotch pad is next. Then work your way up through more coarse pads until you can get the job done.

Going at it with a bristle brush or wire brush just has to remove paint too, especially if ablative.
Fstbttms likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 01-18-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Clearly, I have taught you all well. My work here is done.