LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Re: Clean bottom how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
Just finished my PADI dive certification. The only dives I can really see doing here in the Chesapeake are to clean my boat. My question is how much would you pay to have your bottom cleaned?
From everything I've heard, diving in the Chesapeake ain't a whole lot of fun. So the real question is; how many times do you lug all your dive gear down to the marina, spend an entire day suiting-up, getting into the water, cleaning your and your friend's boats, dropping tools and parts, retrieving the tools and parts, realizing you brought the wrong zincs, getting stung by a sea nettle, dropping something else, saying "Screw it, it only cost five bucks", getting out of the water, taking all your gear off and then cleaning it and yourself off until you decide that it doesn't matter what the local hull cleaner charges, it would be worth every penny?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
From everything I've heard, diving in the Chesapeake ain't a whole lot of fun. So the real question is; how many times do you lug all your dive gear down to the marina, spend an entire day suiting-up, getting into the water, cleaning your and your friend's boats, dropping tools and parts, retrieving the tools and parts, realizing you brought the wrong zincs, getting stung by a sea nettle, dropping something else, saying "Screw it, it only cost five bucks", getting out of the water, taking all your gear off and then cleaning it and yourself off until you decide that it doesn't matter what the local hull cleaner charges, it would be worth every penny?
Easier in puget sound to make a LONG brush out of PVC pipe with a wood dowel in the middle for support, Then one can clean the bottom from the dock without going into the 24/7/365 40F water around here! Altho today at least, in the sound would have been warmer than on the dock!

The keel can be done with a brush with crew on the non dock side......not saying it is done as well as a diver, but not a bad way at the end of the day. Assuming the brush head is of a softish cloth or rug such that one does not screw up the bottom too bad.

Then around here as some other area's, with ablative paint, in water cleaning is a NO-NO! Do not remember the fine if caught, but not cheap! I'm recalling a smallish 4 figure number. We can clean hard paints, just not ablative. Then again, in 2018 copper based paints are not legal, unless of course the law get repealed or some other fun thing happens.

marty
Old 01-18-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
...in 2018 copper based paints are not legal...
So will you be allowed to clean non-copper ablative paints? Inquiring minds...

Last edited by Fstbttms; 01-18-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-18-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No worry mate you will have lots of bottoms to clean. Folks do not like to jump into cold hard work for fun. Washing and waxing the car by hand is a good warm up practice drill. Might also add the hazard about stray electric current. Small amounts make it look like you drowned Clint said," Dying is not much of a living." Regards, Lou

Last edited by Lou452; 01-18-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Someone made the point about the time it takes to clean the bottom. Double it if you've not become very familair with the technique of holding yourself to the hull with suction in one hand and scrubbing with the other.

We have to leave the marina and get it done on a nearby mooring or at anchor. If we could have it done at our slip, while we were away, it would be soooo convenient and worth every cent. Now, we have to goof around with getting to a permissible place prior to our appointment, wait for the diver, who may be late, wait for the cleaning, pay and then move on with our sail. I've often considered having a hookah system to do it myself, but that would take even more time I don't have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-18-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

I go out on a weeknight when there is no wind and find the cleaning to be a relaxing way to spend time on the water

If it wears you out that much you should consider doing a bit more work on your fitness

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
...If it wears you out that much you should consider doing a bit more work on your fitness
Try a 50' LWL with 16' beam.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-18-2013

lapworth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
If it wears you out that much you should consider doing a bit more work on your fitness
Agreed! I'm not in it for the money (to save or make). I go sailing that's harder then motoring or maybe I should hire a captain and a first mate to handle my boat. Wait a minute I could just sit on the dock and watch everyone else go sailing. No no no! why even leave the house I can just stay here on sailnet or watch utube.
Old 01-18-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
You really don't like ANYONE attempting to do their own hull work do you?

I'll tell you what hiring the local diver won't do for me: Give me peace of mind.

I don't want to hear the local diver's "opinion" of the condition of my hull and running gear, I want to see it for myself.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-18-2013

dive7mmwet is on a distinguished road

BE SAFE Bottom cleaning is kind of like golf ball recovery, some one gets a get rich dream and is found dead!THE PADI C-card machine should cover this in AOW! OK just not to bust your bubble if at a marina its so unsafe due to the risk of ! electric shock! just google how many off them self's at marinas,then no engine lock out protocol ? meal time for the sea life ? as said the pro's earn their money, have ins , and know the safety protocol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
Just finished my PADI dive certification. The only dives I can really see doing here in the Chesapeake are to clean my boat. My question is how much would you pay to have your bottom cleaned?