Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-17-2004

Paddy0456 is on a distinguished road
IMI combi VI unit.

My 1980 Cal 35 came equipped with the Internation Marine Instrument package know as a combi very popular in the 80''s. The company went out of business in the late 80''s as I am told. There was an ex-employee of the Co.living in Fl.who was servicing and offering help on the units but I am lacking that name. I believe my pre-amp on the speed transducer went out.All other functions of the unit work fine.I have the wiring diagrams but don''t understand the pre-amp board. I am in the San Francisco area but can''t find anyone locally who is interested in servicing the unit. Need someone or a contact who can offer help, service or can test the unit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2004

rickf is on a distinguished road
IMI combi VI unit.

Ihave the same setup in a Mariner 38 pilothouse sloop. I need the masthead vane, If you can not fix yours I would be interested in buying this unit from you. If you find a resource for parts or knowledge of this system please let me know.
Old 02-15-2011

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
- question -

just bought a 1979 Islander 30 - and notices this 'electrical' box - looks like a old EQ from a radio.

The 4-5 turn dials ( knobs ) are labeled - night lighting, digital lighting.

What exactly is this, and what does it do?
Old 03-17-2011

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
I just posted a photo in the member gallery.
apparently it is going to my instrument panel above the wheel ( I do not have any instruments in that panel ).

let me know what you think.
Old 06-27-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcAlan1 View Post
I just posted a photo in the member gallery.
apparently it is going to my instrument panel above the wheel ( I do not have any instruments in that panel ).

let me know what you think.
If you still had the IMI Combi display, that panel would adjust things like the wind direction damping, night lighting, toggle wind speed/depth. However it sounds like your display was removed so the control panel is now redundant. It probably looks better than the hole it would leave.

My Bristol has a working display and the same control panel, but the knotlog is dead. I'd like to fix the knotlog. I suspect the preamp in the transducer.

Does anyone know where I can get the transducer repaired?

Searching has found a couple of forum threads where it's said that "someone in Florida" repairs them. Who in Florida, I would like to know
Old 07-02-2011

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
i have the same sys. on our 79 GulfStar my under standing that their is no one around any more to work on these units. i talked to a lady at AirMar who gave my to whole skinny on the company as Airmar used to make the transducers for IMI my mast head unit is toast. hasn't worked for 3 yrs. dept and speed still work. i believe the diodes in the mast head unit are burnt may be from a close by lightning strike cause a boat down river from me got nailed. anyway the thru hull trans ducers can be reused if they are 200 mghz according to the lady at Airmar. you will loose a little sensitivity because of age and amount of usage.
Old 07-02-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dryver View Post
i have the same sys. on our 79 GulfStar my under standing that their is no one around any more to work on these units. i talked to a lady at AirMar who gave my to whole skinny on the company as Airmar used to make the transducers for IMI my mast head unit is toast. hasn't worked for 3 yrs. dept and speed still work. i believe the diodes in the mast head unit are burnt may be from a close by lightning strike cause a boat down river from me got nailed. anyway the thru hull trans ducers can be reused if they are 200 mghz according to the lady at Airmar. you will loose a little sensitivity because of age and amount of usage.
Thanks, I've pretty much resigned myself to gutting the whole system and installing Raymarine. In the meantime, if you don't want that speed transducer, I'll take it off your hands!
Old 07-02-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Alan, if you have "knobs" that are labelled for lighting, they areprobably dimmers (potentiometers) that allow you to dim the night lighting to the lowest level in order to preserve your night vision.

Pots are subject to wear and corrosion so they may not be working any more. They usually can be replaced pretty easily but most folks would just use colored lighting (red isn't the only choice) with a plain switch. I've never seen dimmers like that on a boat, would suspect they were an "owner special".